Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting articles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I completely agree with this.

The likes of Custume and McKee need to be divested and turned into beautiful and modern housing and schools and what not.

A 21st century defence force, should be in 21st century barracks, with all the security, flexibility and connectivity that offers. Not 18th and 19th century quarters that are limiting in so many respects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Its fair to say the 19th century legacy buildings have been upgraded so much in recent years they would be unrecognisable to the ghosts who may still walk their halls.

They still command strategic locations. Athlone, for example once controlled the crossing of the Shannon, today it sits in the exact centre of the state.

McKee still sits alongside the President's residence, and Garda HQ. Still a strategic location. Located just off NCR too.

There's a lot of talk about moving to greenfield sites wherever, but that ignores the fact the current soldiers who work in McKee etc are members of the local community, who probably walk/cycle to work. Will the greenfield site be well served or will we be back to the scenario repeated so often in the past of soldiers having to commute 20 or 30 miles to their new location because of a decision made by an accountant?

People ACTUALLY died because barracks were closed. People who used to live near their barracks, who now faced a 1 hour commute after coming off 24 hour duty. All because a beancounter decided it was more efficient use of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭roadmaster

The problem with the current barracks is they were designed for an army of ocupation not a national defence force . When the new Army Design is complete it will be interesting to see if there is anything radical considering the army cant get away from ATCP it seams.

It looks like cathal brugha has survied to live another day.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2024/0724/1461459-cabinet/

Its fun that the reason it was saved was based on cost, and not anything like national security or any of that nonsense…

• Advertisement

If National Security was an issue we would ensure more than 1 naval ship was at sea on patrol.

If national security was an issue we would not need to pull a HEMS helicopter to drop special forces to a ship at sea.

The figures costed are complete pie in the sky as they dont even include the fact for a new base the DOD would have to pay the semi state company that owns the land they looked at.

Let's be honest, neither Cathal Brugha nor McKee are integral to national security, considering their tasks could be performed elsewhere with proper provision, and the government isn't really serious about real national security, considering the massive gaping holes in our air, sea and cyber defences and human and electronic intelligence.

But, it is important that the DF have a base or bases in the Capital, for ceremonial and ACP tasks, as well as for historical and heritage reasons.

To my mind, the government shouldn't be spending money figuring out where in Dublin to put these 1,300 homes and the jobs and services to go with them, but where else in the Country they should go, to make a proper dent in our appalling record of sustainable regional development.

I had no massive yearn to keep Cathal Brugha, or not, but I'm glad the Tánaiste has come down on the side of shutting down one of Eamon Ryan's bonkers flights of policy. He's an appalling minister with a total lack of strategic thinking about him, and I'm glad he's in his final months as a member of the Dáil and the government.

I disagree on the importance of A barracks(or 2) located on the northside and southside of the city.

In the event of any major emergency be it security or humanitarian in nature, you NEED barracks of this scale to coordinate movement of troops from Outside Dublin, both being within the M50, yet also on the main traffic corridors through the City Centre.

If you had to get the 3rd or the 1st inf Bn into Dublin to provide extra security for something like an EU meeting, or the visit of a Major world leader, this is when McKee or Brugha become valuable. And if one should become shut down for any reason, you still have the other a short distance away to work from.

To be clear, I would never get rid of both in any case. I appreciate the need for a fair sized secure site within the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭sparky42

not exactly breaking news, but bless the DOD for managing to put out another empty PR piece without actually doing anything…

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41443537.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Yeah. The defence budget goes no distance at all in increasing maritime security. Barely small change...

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭zone 1

yeah but irelands NEUTRAL no body would mess with us..

To be fair, the DOD has figured out that were we are may not be a defence anymore (if it ever really was), I mean they don't intend to actually do anything about it of course, but at least they have put it in writing to cover their arse if anything goes wrong.

"The Department will lead on the development of a National Maritime Security Strategy".

Sometimes I just want to go down there and shake them.

I could think of other things to do with the department, but sure lets start with that. I mean its great that it seems that there's some reality breaking through, but there's still a sense of no urgency for fixing all the recognised issues.

Exactly. They have become highly proficient at publishing many, many glossy documents.

But have gotten even worse at putting in place manpower, assets and increased capabilities. In all domains.

Life is something that happens to you while you're busy making plans. - John Lennon.

I was impressed reading this latest document, how recent some of the photos are. Shows how quick they can whip one up.

The USS Patrick Gallagher (DDG-127) Arleigh Burke Class (Flight IIA) guided missile destroyer. Christened yesterday at Bath Iron Works, Maine.

Named for Lance Corporal Patrick Gallagher, USMC. Born Ballyhaunis, Mayo, 1944. KIA, Da Nang, Vietnam, 1967.

Corporal Gallagher was a recipient of the Navy Cross and Congressional Medal of Honour for repeated acts of outstanding courage in the field, including throwing himself on a live grenade to protect others of his unit. The weapon failed to explode and he tossed it into a lake.

Gallagher is one of the first non-Americans to receive such an honour, that of a Warship being named for him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Thought you might like this one as well.

• Advertisement

One of your best sir.

@Manic Moran when you were in the curragh did you do a video on the mowags or RG32?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭mupper2

Surely the RG32's would be on static display……

Ah my coat, thank you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

An interesting reflection on intelligence and national security matters by the AC Security and Intelligence Bureau.

Its certainly a pertinent matter for both AGS and DF, but really its time for a new government agency to coordinate and develop intelligence capacity and proficiency, to link directly into NSAC and Cabinet Committee F.

The national security strategy is taking far too long, just like every other urgent security and defence issue.

ah but social media twats says there’s no problems and it’s all the evil arms industry scaremongering, that there’s no risk to Ireland…

Gobshites.

Thankfully, although our TikTok Taoish does seem partial to social media, he appears not to pay much heed to the bottom of its barrel.

He shall have to put his money where his mouth is now though.

sadly, there’s plenty of voters that do as we see all to often.

seems we had a dangerously close incident in UNFIL, with two APCs getting hit by shrapnel reportedly:

https://www.irishtimes.com/world/middle-east/2024/08/11/six-irish-soldiers-caught-in-attack-on-village-in-southern-lebanon/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 kenny80

force/https://www.politico.eu/article/ireland-defense-freeloader-ukraine-work-royal-air-force/

Advertisement