Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ideas for a website or app

Options
  • 05-07-2021 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

hello,
    i m a software developer and looking to build a website or an app in my spare time but finding it hard to pick a concept which will be commercially useful.
    most of the software apps are either freely available or too large to develop for one person.
    Any ideas or suggestion for developing a software which will be useful or something which you think is not automated yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

hello2020 wrote: »
    hello,
    i m a software developer and looking to build a website or an app in my spare time but finding it hard to pick a concept which will be commercially useful.
    most of the software apps are either freely available or too large to develop for one person.
    Any ideas or suggestion for developing a software which will be useful or something which you think is not automated yet?

Grand. What percentage of your business are you offering? Or are you hoping someone will give you an idea for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭hello2020

Grand. What percentage of your business are you offering? Or are you hoping someone will give you an idea for free?

i m new to business partnerships but i think a mutually beneficial partnership can be worked out based on % of profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

A points prediction tool for sorare.com similar to the ones you see in other fantasy games with the ability to select your teams within the website/app with a better UI than on the site itself. If it was done well you would have no problem getting enough people willing to pay £20/month to have it creating a decent income. Given the scope of the game would imagine it would be tricky to find enough data to be able to do it. There are a lot of managers who spend 1 hour+ twice a week picking a team yhat have spent thousands on those teams who I would imagine would be happy to spend a little bit each month to make the process easier for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭hello2020

jimmii wrote: »
    A points prediction tool for sorare.com similar to the ones you see in other fantasy games with the ability to select your teams within the website/app with a better UI than on the site itself. If it was done well you would have no problem getting enough people willing to pay £20/month to have it creating a decent income. Given the scope of the game would imagine it would be tricky to find enough data to be able to do it. There are a lot of managers who spend 1 hour+ twice a week picking a team yhat have spent thousands on those teams who I would imagine would be happy to spend a little bit each month to make the process easier for themselves.

Thanks a mil for this interesting idea..not familiar with the sorare.com site but i will look into it .. feels like an exciting but quite large project though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Just because something has been done before, or is freely available doesn't mean a better implementation isn't viable.
    Have you listened to Indie Hackers podcast or checked out the website at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Ideas aren't hard to come by: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=ideas+for+a+new+app. The idea is rarely an important factor in whether a project is commercially useful.

If you're doing this as a learning exercise, I wouldn't worry about the commercial aspect at all. Pick something you're interested in, that you might actually use yourself

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

if you're thinking local and not global, there are a ton of govt APIs publishing all sorts of data
    https://data.gov.ie/dataset

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

hello2020 wrote: »
    Thanks a mil for this interesting idea..not familiar with the sorare.com site but i will look into it .. feels like an exciting but quite large project though..

All the data used is from opta so would imagine the historical data would be available to make predictions possibly combined with bookies odds or something like that. Obviously opta data isn't cheap but don't think it would be too bad if ffs can afford it then doubt it costs stupid amounts.. The amounts people have put in are unreal some collections would cost 500+ eth to put together now and some probably nearer 1k. The people playing with hundreds of cards are having to spend hours to trawl it through all the fixtures etc Its crying out for a solution. You could tier access by league so one league would be £5/month and then all leagues £50-£100/month or something. Even if you just went super high cost and made it a few hundred a month the D1 guys who have sides of all $50k+ cards are not going to care.

Advertisement