Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weeds

Options
  • 05-07-2021 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a problem with the grass in both front and back garden it is just full of these things, which I assume are weeds? My push mower is just running over them so not cutting them. Any ideas how to remove?

weeds.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Dig them out or spray with a lawn weed killer. Mowing won't shift plantain. It thrives where lawns have been scalped or the soil is compacted and impoverished. Give the lawn a feed when they're gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Thanks. Would the weed killer not also kill the grass? I'd say you're correct about the soil being impoverished.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Harris8855

This plant is plantain, great source of pollen for pollinators. If you really want to get rid of them, spot spray with a chemical. Round-up is safest.

Harris8855 wrote: »
    This plant is plantain, great source of pollen for pollinators. If you really want to get rid of them, spot spray with a chemical. Round-up is safest.

No need for something as indiscriminate as round up. A dedicated lawn weed killer will do.

I have a very pollinator friendly garden without allowing plantain to take over and eventually kill off my lawn.

Thanks. Would the weed killer not also kill the grass? I'd say you're correct about the soil being impoverished.

Make sure it's a Lawn Weed Killer. I find a liquid form most effective.

• Advertisement
Advertisement