Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use Bank of Ireland for receiving my salary if I work abroad?

Options
  • 05-07-2021 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

If I move abroad can I still use my Bank of Ireland account to receive my salary for my job there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Friend of mine is getting his salary paid into an N26 account, HR had a hissy fit when they saw the German IBAN when he made the request, telling him they didn't do 'foreign' transfers but he insisted and threatened to complain so they accepted it. 

An IBAN is an IBAN is an IBAN inside the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

khriskhris wrote: »
    If I move abroad can I still use my Bank of Ireland account to receive my salary for my job there?
    Hi Khriskhris,

Thanks for reaching out and checking this with us today. 

You can certainly receive this salary from our side. We would recommend linking in with your employer to ensure they will be able to make this transfer to you.

We hope this helps and please don't hesitate to get back in touch if we can help with anything else.

Thanks,
    Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 3 khriskhris

OwenM wrote: »
    Friend of mine is getting his salary paid into an N26 account, HR had a hissy fit when they saw the German IBAN when he made the request, telling him they didn't do 'foreign' transfers but he insisted and threatened to complain so they accepted it. 

Thanks for the reply! My employer doesn't have a problem with this, but I'm wondering if tax-wise this creates any implications. For example, since I won't be in Ireland anymore, but my salary will show up in my Bank of Ireland account, will this create any confusion? 

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Thanks for the reply! My employer doesn't have a problem with this, but I'm wondering if tax-wise this creates any implications. For example, since I won't be in Ireland anymore, but my salary will show up in my Bank of Ireland account, will this create any confusion? 
    This is a taxation question, I would seek qualified advice or it could be expensive. If you are staying in the EU I would guess that once you are tax resident in one country and pay income tax there you would not have to pay income tax here. Keep records, i.e. payslips showing tax deducted for several years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi khriskhris for coming back to us. 

I'm afraid it would be outside our remit to offer you tax advice. 

With this type of query, we would recommend linking in with Revenue. 

Hoping the link helps, 

Many thanks
    Alison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

No particular reason why not, if it’s in the EU.

Revenue might query it, but if you’re living abroad and registered for tax abroad there’s no reason for them to be suspicious of anything and nothing illegal about it.

I don’t know how Bank of Ireland feel about non resident use of their current accounts though.

Advertisement