Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career break to spend time with son, any thoughts.

Options
  • 05-07-2021 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to take a year off work to spend time with my son, starting next summer, when his mam returns to work. He's our only child and likely he won't have any siblings so I want to spend as much time with him as possible while he's young.

Apart from the financial costs, it'll be tight but we'll get by, are there any drawbacks I'm not considering. He will be 3. It seems all good to me. Anyone got advise or stories of same.

Thanks,
    Excited Dad!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Check what the effect on your pension will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Also PRSI contributions towards a pension.
    It might be worth considering if you can take on a part time job which gives you lots of time still

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

You should be covered for PRSI contributions as time you don't work to look after your own child (under 12) is discounted when you apply for state pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

No real advice to give but just wanted to say well done, this is an awesome thing to do and you'll never regret all that time you'll spend with him. You and your son will benefit from this for life!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Is it a career break or are you taking parental leave?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mmrs

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't considered the pension aspect too important, I will look into it.

Thanks catrionaic, that's what I thinking, can always earn more money but will never get this time again.

It will be a career break. I'll hold on to parental leave for other times when I might want extended time off with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I did this twice. Took a year off for each of our sons when they were young. Best thing I ever did and wouldn't change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

If you can afford it, do it.

I wish I was in a situation where I could afford it but it's really not an option unfortunately. I've two daughters, only babies still, and it'd be fantastic to be able to do it.

Good luck with it.

It is great to take time off and dedicate it totally to being a parent. Especially in those formative years. Their wonder and awe at everything at that age is contagious and you find that when you totally invest yourself in their world that you begin to see the world with new eyes again. Its wonderful.

But - it can be done at the expense of looking after yourself. So if you are taking a year off I would say you should still focus on "me" time and find something that is entirely for you.

Whether this is still working part time but at starkly reduced hours - throwing yourself into a new or existing hobby - of taking a one year course with some college or the Open University - or whatever - just make sure there is something for you. Just shutting the door on a child and having even just a couple of fixed routine hours of something that is totally yours - and adult - can recharge you in a way that just sleep would not. Counter intuitively by doing more you recharge and have more energy.

Could you take parental leave instead?

Are you guaranteed a return to work in 12 months if you do take a year off? Would you be going back to the same position?

I'm civil service, and know of people who took career breaks but could not return straight away after their career break ended. Return to the same position is not guaranteed and some had to wait up to a year after the end of their career break for a vacancy to arise - but this may not apply to you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement