Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public service job issue

Options
  • 05-07-2021 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Took a public service job recently and I find it so boring. The role I'm in wasn't what I was offered and I've been led on and lied to since starting.

Is 6months to soon yo ask to be moved into another dept?

There is no room for growth here and I will just be in this role until the day I retire.

The manager is weak and the system is poor.

Any advice? I want to progress quickly and grow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

It sounds like you are new to the public service so yes 6 months is too soon to ask for a move - you would normally have completed probation at least. How to do you know there is no room for growth?

You dont mention what role you are in but Ive been in the public sector for many years and worked in various roles - but I sought them out.

Do you have a goal in mind - maybe find how to get to that. What training courses you may need to do/areas you need to work in etc.

Anywhere I have worked it takes at least a year to settle - and this last year isnt a reflection on how things work normally anywhere. You dont mention if you WFH or back in office. I started a new role in Feb 2020 - chatting with colleagues nearly everything we do now is different in some way that what it was pre covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Yes, 6 months is too soon.
    If possible, do your best where you are for now and keep an eye out for opportunities to transfer to a different department - this will require networking with nearby mangers.
    If thats not your forte, trying to transfer or promote out can take time - positions regularly have a 2 year minimum time in HSE to qualify for interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭2 fast

It sounds like you are new to the public service so yes 6 months is too soon to ask for a move - you would normally have completed probation at least. How to do you know there is no room for growth?

You dont mention what role you are in but Ive been in the public sector for many years and worked in various roles - but I sought them out.

Do you have a goal in mind - maybe find how to get to that. What training courses you may need to do/areas you need to work in etc.

Anywhere I have worked it takes at least a year to settle - and this last year isnt a reflection on how things work normally anywhere. You dont mention if you WFH or back in office. I started a new role in Feb 2020 - chatting with colleagues nearly everything we do now is different in some way that what it was pre covid.

Thank you for your post..

No room for growth this has been said by people already working there, you don't move up the grades as they aren't given any allocation, there hasn't been any opportunities for promotions in years it seems.

The job is basic and boring, and really isn't of any interest basically just data entry!

I know exactly where I want to go but if it's too soon to ask I'll have to stay put for another while. I'm fully qualified in where I want to go just I was put into a role based without considering my experience or strengths just that they wanted someone strong.

I may just have to look at getting out of public service

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

2 fast wrote: »

No room for growth this has been said by people already working there, you don't move up the grades as they aren't given any allocation, there hasn't been any opportunities for promotions in years it seems.

The job is basic and boring, and really isn't of any interest basically just data entry!

I know exactly where I want to go but if it's too soon to ask I'll have to stay put for another while. I'm fully qualified in where I want to go just I was put into a role based without considering my experience or strengths just that they wanted someone strong.

Pass your probation then start applying for promotion competitions, why did you join the public service in the first place out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

What part of the public service are you in? Was it a general grade you applied for or a specific professional role?

• Advertisement

athlone573 wrote: »
    Pass your probation then start applying for promotion competitions, why did you join the public service in the first place out of interest?

Tbh I thought when I applied for the role and originally got the job it was for a particular area which I was happy with. Then when i started I was told I was going into a role that of I'd have known I'd never have taken the job.

I was probably a bit naive as I didn't know that much about public service and had a completely different view to what it was than what it actually is.

What part of the public service are you in? Was it a general grade you applied for or a specific professional role?

As far as I was concerned a specific role which transpired to be incorrect on starting

If I say where it will give a lot away as its quite a small area within public service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

2 fast wrote:

2 years service before you can ask for a transfer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Took a public service job recently and I find it so boring. The role I'm in wasn't what I was offered and I've been led on and lied to since starting.

There is no room for growth here and I will just be in this role until the day I retire.

The manager is weak and the system is poor.

Any advice? I want to progress quickly and grow.
    Are you suited to the PS?
    Is this your first job?
    What qualifications do you have?
    What skill set do you bring?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Thanks for replying. It's hard to advise without knowing more but I do know people who have promoted rapidly, they would be grifters though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

As far as I was concerned a specific role which transpired to be incorrect on starting

If I say where it will give a lot away as its quite a small area within public service

Fair enough. What specific grade are you? The grades should be generic won't give anything away. My knowledge is Civil Service based rather than Public Service but the application process should have specified the role associated with the grade in order for you to apply.

Ok firstly public sector is huge - why are you limiting yourself to what people say. Just because there isnt promotion opportunities in one area it doesnt mean there isnt in another. What campaigns are running in your area now or in the area you are interested in (there are internal and external campaigns). Much easier to apply for roles from within the public sector but again you may need 2 years experience first. Depends.

Im in the Public Sector and we run internal campaigns all the time. Even if the job is data entry and you find it boring you can avail of other training opportunities to upskill. Are there any tasks you can volunteer for. You are still very new to the role to make any real call on it.

As other posters said what attracted you to the public sector anyway. Are you permanent or contract - that will dictate your choices.

I had a colleague you had a similar mindset to you a few years ago - she felt she was overqualified for the role she was doing and that the work she was doing was boring. It took her a while to adapt but she developed her skills, undertook internal training courses, developed relationships, did lots and lots of internal interviews and is now in a higher grade.

Also did you say you were in office or WFH - I know new colleagues who started in my workplace while WFH and struggle. Thats normal.

athlone573 wrote: »
    Thanks for replying. It's hard to advise without knowing more but I do know people who have promoted rapidly, they would be grifters though.

also movement within an area is possible after completion of probation but depends on sector, grade and contract.

Advertisement