Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fence height in front garden

• 05-07-2021 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hello,

According with current legislation, the maximum height of a fence in a front garden, must be 1.20m.
    Is the limit towards solid structures such as a wall or wood panels ?

Would a flower box with trellis (total height 1.40m) go against the law?

If I remember correctly using bushes as a fence the limit could be higher than 1.20 ?

Thanks

Regulation: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/si/600/made/en/print

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Structure is 1.2m
    You couldn’t theory plant something and it can grow over the limit without issue other than the overgrowth to your neighbor.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

Gumbo wrote: »
    Structure is 1.2m
    You couldn’t theory plant something and it can grow over the limit without issue other than the overgrowth to your neighbor.

I've seen bushes working as a fence in the front garden, with heights above 1.50m.
    Makes me wonder if trellis would be considered a structure (1.20m) or a support to grow bush therefore could go higher (for example 1.40m).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The bushes are fine, the trellis if over 1.2m, would be a planning breach.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

Legend:

BC - back garden fence

BA - back garden shared fence with neighbour A

BB - back garden shared fence with neighbour B

FA - front garden shared fence with neighbour A

FB - front garden shared fence with neighbour B

FC - front garden entrance

As per the comments in this thread (thank you, Gumbo) and reading the laws, the maximum height for fence FA, FB and FC is 1.20m, and anything above that requires Planning Permission. In the case of fence FA and FB that are shared, any change I want to make, for example, replace panels for a wall, would the cost be shared or because I want to do it, I'm the one that must pay it in full?

In the back garden,if I want to replace the shared fences BA and BB, because they're old or I want better ones, is the cost shared or again, if I want it I must pay it in full?

In the back of the house the fences can be 2m high, but with Planning permission can they be higher?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's not quite what the law says. Front wall could be 2m, if it was appropriate. But appropriateness is decided via an planning application. 1.2m is simply deemed universally appropriate.

Can be higher if appropriate, subject to applying.

Cost is not a planning matter.
    A boundary wall/fence could be entirely on your property, in which case it would typically be entire your decision and entirely your bill to foot - of course a neighbour could contribute if they wished.
    If it was on the centre of the boundary, costs should be shared, but only by agreement. If you decide to replace it and the neighbour isn't bothered, they don't have to contribute.

• Advertisement
Advertisement