Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid denying friend had a meltdown over me getting vaccinated

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Tork

OP, are you both single? Your friendship with this woman has a messed up, bad relationship feel to it. I second Hilda's advice for you to talk to somebody. You seem to have assertiveness issues and are not equipped to deal with this woman. She is running rings around you, while you bend over backwards to appease her. All in the name of trying to stay friends with her. It's made even messier because she works for you. Though given the way you seem to be behaving, it makes me wonder is she running the business rather than you? It's inevitable that this is going to blow up again in some form or other. And unless you take steps to take control of your own life and your own business, you'll meekly hand the reins over to this one. Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭whippet

its like an alcoholic ... you are almost powerless to help until they reach rock bottom and then if you are willing you can be there to help pick up the pieces.

What will probably happen is that your friend will get sucked in to attending some wacko conferences - obviously which will need donations to be paid to the organisers and soon enough they will have become someone who puts every effort in to following this nonsense, give up work (or get fired) and end up without a pot to piss in while the experts they are following walk away with the cash.

It is up to you if you want to be there to pick up the pieces - but don't be under any illusion that you will be able to help them in the mean time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

A couple of friends of mine. Husband and wife, are the same as the OPs friend.

They are total anti vaxxers and go to protests and try to convince the rest of us not to get the vaccine. Really militant about it.

Talking to him the other day he let it slip that he had his first vaccine appointment this week. I couldnt believe it. He told me not to tell his wife.

I asked him why is he getting it, because i never thought he would. And you knopw what he said - "Sure i wont be able to go anywhere if i dont get it. I still dont want to get it though".

I said to him that I hope his wife understands when she finds out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

She sounds like an idiot, simply forget her... her friendship or whatever can't be worth the hassle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Defo need to leave the friendship just to a professional one for now. Its hard to see them go this way. But think about your other friendships...she is having an nengative impact on to you. Your other friends will start to notice this too and could have a negative impact on your other friendsship. Do you want to end up with loosing other friends as an indirect consequence of 1 person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

OP, why are you entertaining any of this? The minute she said there would be dire consequences she should have been booted out the door, not appeased. She won't change and she will continue to bring up the issue, like she did on the phone the very next morning. She doesn't actually respect you,your views or your boundaries. My experience with anti-vaxxers is that they all display the same types of behaviours and no matter what evidence you provide it will swing back to 'can't trust mainstream media, etc etc etc'.

Why are you so desperate for this woman's friendship? Surely there are plenty of other rational people you can spend time with?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

I think you are a very decent friend and to be admired there are a lot of anti vaxers and they receive very hostile treatment kudos to you for at least being there for this person. Time will tell all to everyone & friendships do thrive on different ideas etc dont dump yet as advised in the posts just avoid the conversations that trigger and also avoid trying to force her to comply with the standard. Those who want to to retain body auto my are entitled to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 BettyBlue22

OP, while what she does with her body is her business, she works for your business.

Her opinions seem to matter more to you than your own, perhaps that's a misinterpretation, but is this friendship really doing what it should for both of you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭volchitsa

How does he think he's going to be able to go to places that non vaccinated people can't, without his wife noticing??

She's going to find out at that point, and that's a double betrayal of her, that he wouldn't even tell her what he'd decided to do.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭sporina

OMG OP why oh why are you entertaining this? She is not well - and manipulative - its like you can't even think straight now.. you seem to be v occupied by her - whats that about? Is there some sort of control issue going on from both sides? I don't mean to offend you - I just can't understand why you would let someone take so much of your energy... ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Interesting read but OP i would be worried if she was hanging around others who could be infected and reading sad stories of a family of 4 getting it at their home and no longer living makes you think.

I have issues and had both jabs and still taking precautions as were not out of the woods yet. If you feel the need to stay safer get the jabs as its your life on the line.

Advertisement