Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fascia Soffit Raffer requirements

Options
  • 06-07-2021 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi there,
    We just got a quotation to replace our rotten timber fascia, soffit and guttering and a part of raffers due to some sign of woodworm. 7000e for everything (3 days work). It's a semi-D 3 bed house, built around 1980s. Is it sensible to have negotiation down to 5k-6k?
    Thank you for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

hottea2019 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    We just got a quotation to replace our rotten timber fascia, soffit and guttering and a part of raffers due to some sign of woodworm. 7000e for everything (3 days work). It's a semi-D 3 bed house, built around 1980s. Is it sensible to have negotiation down to 5k-6k?
    Thank you for any advice.

Did this sort of work during summer holidays many moons ago. Right pain in the ass when dealing with rotten roof timber.
    Don't forget access issues, the true extent of replacement is unknown until all is exposed. Timber material costs aren't the significant issue, it's labour more than anything else.
    In this climate, insurance for this sort of work is incredibly expensive too.
    You can always ask for a discount and even get a second or third quote. For me, I'd focus on the quality of work and references from past similar projects.
    An expensive but good job is soon forgotten, but a cheap poor quality one will stare at you forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 hottea2019

landcrzr wrote: »
    Did this sort of work during summer holidays many moons ago. Right pain in the ass when dealing with rotten roof timber.
    Don't forget access issues, the true extent of replacement is unknown until all is exposed. Timber material costs aren't the significant issue, it's labour more than anything else.
    In this climate, insurance for this sort of work is incredibly expensive too.
    You can always ask for a discount and even get a second or third quote. For me, I'd focus on the quality of work and references from past similar projects.
    An expensive but good job is soon forgotten, but a cheap poor quality one will stare at you forever.

Thank you. May I ask how much you spent (approximately) before for that kind of work? We understand that it was long time ago but we just want to have some idea. We rang couple of companies to do assessment/quotation but no other shown up.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

hottea2019 wrote: »
    Thank you. May I ask how much you spent (approximately) before for that kind of work? We understand that it was long time ago but we just want to have some idea. We rang couple of companies to do assessment/quotation but no other shown up.

I was just the hired grunt at the time, I know each one was priced on its own merits though.
    From your description, the new fascia, soffit and gutter would be rateable but I wouldn't know today's rates. Also depends a lot on what you've gone for.
    You find that the prep work will probably take as long if not longer than the pvc or aluminium bits.
    Just call them back and bluff another quote but I wouldn't expect savings in the thousands. There's loads of work out there at the minute.

Advertisement