Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashing a cheque

• 06-07-2021 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

I am an ex-BOI, ex traditional Irish bank customer and a very happy N26 customer. But lately I got a motor tax refund by cheque from Galway Council.

Whatever I try, Irish banks refuse to transfer the money into my IBAN.

I did some searching on this forum but can't find any satisfactory solution.

Do Irish banks have to take/exchange/lodge cheques? And if not is there any way to cash a cheque? (160 euros!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cheques aren't legal tender so no one has to take them. You can try signing it over to someone who has an Irish bank account and see if they can lodge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

The cheque is crossed, so nobody else can cash it :(

Why do official government bodies still issue cheques??
    They have to pay the bank for the cheque, print it, send it and the receiver has to physically go to a bank, pay the bank to receive it.

It's ludicrous, it could be done in 2 seconds by pressing a button...

If it's not legal tender could I force the issuer to transfer the money or hand over cash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Wcool wrote: »
    The cheque is crossed, so nobody else can cash it :(

Why do official government bodies still issue cheques??
    They have to pay the bank for the cheque, print it, send it and the receiver has to physically go to a bank, pay the bank to receive it.

It's ludicrous, it could be done in 2 seconds by pressing a button...

If it's not legal tender could I force the issuer to transfer the money or hand over cash?

If you get the right person in the council offices they might be able to do a transfer, they won't be giving you cash though

This is one of the problems with moving to a bank outside of Ireland, the non-standard items such as lodging cheques etc are the items that always pop up from time to time

Cheques are on their last legs anyway so hopefully this won't be an issue for long, although Irish cheques are one of the most difficult Euro cheques to get cleared without using a local bank here directly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Gooser14

If you have a BoI credit card I believe you can lodge a cheque to the card account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Wcool wrote: »
    I am an ex-BOI, ex traditional Irish bank customer and a very happy N26 customer. But lately I got a motor tax refund by cheque from Galway Council.

Whatever I try, Irish banks refuse to transfer the money into my IBAN.

I did some searching on this forum but can't find any satisfactory solution.

Do Irish banks have to take/exchange/lodge cheques? And if not is there any way to cash a cheque? (160 euros!)

Best bet is to go back to them and get a transfer to your account. That's what I've done when I've been sent a cheque.

• Advertisement
Advertisement