Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there an argument to be made for increasing police firm-handedness in Dublin?

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,743 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

if there is to be a greater deterrent to committing a crime then exists then it needs to come from an attack on three fronts..

more gardai / more effective Gardai

a suitable number of prison places.

a suitable attitude from the judiciary to violent crime and drug offenses.

the reasons Dublin is becoming a more threatening and lawless kip is because there is no deterrent or not enough deterrent as in not enough prison places.

I think an honest conversation should be had about Irish law enforcement being equipped with more coercive weapons.

A scene like that in Amsterdam, police would shoot to kill, no second guessing that.

A bunch of scrotes show up in dumpster?

The civilized side to Dublin would throw a party man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,743 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In other countries you’d hear something from force management and politicians.

a car is used as a weapon against civilians and or Gardai, I’d have no problem if it could be deemed safe ( it probably wouldn’t in many scenarios though) that weapons could be used to neutralize the threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭enricoh

In 2021 we still can't take court fines out of people's welfare payments. The department of justices computers 'cant talk' to welfares computers.

I read of some fella who got 4 months jail after numerous drink driving , no insurance etc cases over a few years. He was back before the judge and it transpired he had done 1 day in the joy for his 4 month stint as it was overcrowded. That'll learn him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I think the problem is that if welfare is involved, legally it can't be reduced below the minimum living rate. Usually a little less than a long term payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That's exactly it. Can't be taking the free money away from the criminals, they have more rights than you or I don't ya know.

Advertisement