Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of electrical cable for car charger

Options
  • 06-07-2021 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Currently renovating my upstairs and as part of this I have removed the subfloor over the joists to soundproof between upstairs/downstairs.

While I have easy access from the front of the house to the back of the house I was thinking of running an electrical cable to future proof for a car charger install.

Was also thinking of running the ductwork for a MHRV install at a later date while access is good.

My questions are-

What type of electrical cable can I run to facilitate a car charging point in the future- my joists are 230mm deep so would run this midway along the joists and leave the cable handy for an electrician in the future. Am I ok to do this? Any rules to follow?

Any advice on the type of ducting to run for a future DCV/MHRV and where to source?

Any advice welcome

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Cable size will depend mainly on the size of the load and length of run. At a minimum I would run a 3 x 10 sq. for a domestic EV charing point from the distribution board.

First of all ensure that the tails to the distribution board are adequate. This generally means 16 mm sq. but in some cases should be larger.

Regarding rules, IS10101 must be complied with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Henry...

What's happening with car chargers ATM

Is it worth bothering if you can take it from the cabinet later and do your load monitoring from there

Advertisement