Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replica or authentic Arrow heads?

Options
  • 06-07-2021 7:17pm

Hi all

I came across these in an antique shop on the Antrim coast. But I was thinking they might be replicas. Any opinions/thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Hi all

I came across these in an antique shop on the Antrim coast. But I was thinking they might be replicas. Any opinions/thoughts?

Thanks

They look fake to me but I have only seen a few genuine examples.

Just how clean the cutting is with the very similar groove with all examples. Weathering would surely create some differences between the lot. Could be very wrong though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Replicas

• Yeah, no sign of any weathering whatsoever and they all look like they’ve been in the washing machine. They do seem to be well made/knapped. I’m wondering why they are made? Jewellery, education, tourist trade, profit? I’ve checked Amazon etc and you can buy them in bulk for little money.

• I'm interested to get your opinions on this. Currently on sale on an internet auction website as

"A group of five good condition Flint Neolithic Arrowheads dating to about 4000-2200 B.C.".

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭HoteiMarkii

Poorly knapped replicas by the looks of it, or if the description is anything to go by, fakes.

They don't look like anything that would have been produced in Ireland or Britain in the late Neolithic or Early Bronze Age. The broad, rounded tangs are very reminiscent of those found on Native North American projectiles.

I stand to be corrected of course.

• Advertisement

• Thanks HoteiiMarkii.

Indeed, I was thinking the same, fakes or replicas or whatever best describes them. They do appear to be the sort of appendage that I'd imagine you might get with modern tourist pieces.

Advertisement