Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonsilla Estates

Options
  • 06-07-2021 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for an insight into the estates in Clonsilla south of the Ongar distribution road i.e. Allendale, Mount Symon, Castlefield, Charnwood, Sorrel, Portersgate.

Does anyone have any insight on these estates, are they quiet, is there a lot of anti social behavior, what are the people like etc.

I'm looking to buy fairly soon, there appears to be very reasonably priced 370-400K, 3 to 4 bed semi d's in the above estates which was great to see but also made me question why they are so reasonably priced. I know these estates have been highlighted as being nice in previous forums but that was a long time ago and things may have changed since and I have noticed that there is a few news reports of one or two serious enough crimes being committed by a resident. Nonetheless they seem like good spots for being close to the village and the train station.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chrisam

Hi All,

Looking for an insight into the estates in Clonsilla south of the Ongar distribution road i.e. Allendale, Mount Symon, Castlefield, Charnwood, Sorrel, Portersgate.

Does anyone have any insight on these estates, are they quiet, is there a lot of anti social behavior, what are the people like etc.

I'm looking to buy fairly soon, there appears to be very reasonably priced 370-400K, 3 to 4 bed semi d's in the above estates which was great to see but also made me question why they are so reasonably priced. I know these estates have been highlighted as being nice in previous forums but that was a long time ago and things may have changed since and I have noticed that there is a few news reports of one or two serious enough crimes being committed by a resident. Nonetheless they seem like good spots for being close to the village and the train station.

A nice area. I haven't heard bad reports of any of the listed estates above. They look well kept too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Hi All,

I honestly think Charnwood and Sorrel/Aspen/Limelawn are the best value 3/4 bed houses in D15. Lovely estates, decent sized houses and close to everything. Have friends in Charnwood and Limelawn and have never heard of any unpleasant issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Here 11 years now, only issue I've ever had was a few lads on scramblers going in and out of the estates. But it's been a few years since I've seen that as the Local County Councillors did some good work to stop it. I think it was the same few lads that used to come from Leixlip along the canal.

On a positive note, they're planning on upgrading the canal along Clonsilla (eventually), and Shackleton's Gardens will be reopening soon which will be another positive addition to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

Thanks for the responses all.

Glad to hear that the area is very positively received.

I know Charnwood, Sorrel, Limelawn and Aspen are well received but does anyone have any opinions or know anyone living in the estates west of them, i.e. Mount Symon, Portersgate, Castlefield, Allendale?

Thanks again for the responses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I've walked through Portersgate for 15 years on my way home from Clonsilla station and it always comes across peaceful, spotless and safe. The extensive green spaces and mature leafy trees give it a really desirable looking appearance. Families are probably more established with less children at play in the area as most are grown up now. Castlefield gives off the same impression but with probably more younger families.

Allendale and Mount Symon similar but maybe even more children and younger families visible. Slightly more built up and density (some small terraces) in Allendale too and possibly more renters. All would be good areas in my opinion.

OP, have you actually walked around these estates by day and at weekends? That'll give you a sense and feel of the area way better than Street View or one person's biased bad experience that may not be reflective of the reality of the majority.

Proximity to Clonsilla station especially with the upgrade to DART soon will be a big plus to the area and all these estates are just minutes walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Daeltaja

Live in Castlefield for 2 years now. Very quiet, peaceful area. I walk the dog through Mount Symon and Porter's Gate every day and never seen a bit of trouble. Leafy green, spacious and seems like a lot of nice families living around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

Thanks all for the comments and input, greatly appreciated.

I had a walk around the area last weekend and was very impressed, particularly with Aspen, Sorrel and Limelawn, very large houses and very pleasant atmosphere. Portersgate and Charnwood was pretty good too, didn't get the chance to check out Castlefield or Allendale, Mount Symon I was less impressed by to be honest. However, All in All I was very impressed, I'm not sure why the houses are such a reasonable price even for 4 bed's which I still can't get my head around, it seems like a very nice set of estates. From what I was told, they border some more rougher area's of Blanchardstown which may be bringing the price down and also in Mount Symon I think there was more renters based on the people I saw there which may bring down the price of the estates near it but I can't say that for certain. Nonetheless it seems like a steal and with the prices being listed and what some houses have sold for in the area it's somewhere I'm strongly considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mary contrary

Hi, live in castlefield with 5 years and allendale for 10 years previously (owned houses in both). Allendale was a 16 minute walk to train and 2 bed house. Got married and baby on way so moved to bigger house in castlefield (5 min walk to train). People much friendlier in castlefield, mainly young families in our row and owner occupier so tend to keep better upkeep of houses/common areas. Allendale had some anti social behaviour (like most estates from time to time) as walk through to another estate but overall we liked it but do prefer castlefield. In relation to house prices.. sorry i personally think they are ALL over priced but at the end of the day only buy what u can afford and try to future proof i.e schools, playgrounds in walking distance, good access to public transport (i used to work in town and left my job as hated the train, capacity was crap, late trains and then finally nail on coffin was no direct train to pearse). I would recommend if u can driving to the estates in PEAK traffic so u see how easy it is to get in and out of the estates, mount symon wouldnt be the easiest and anytime we drove through there seemed to be alot of cars parked either side of road. Castlefield does have people parking in the estate and walking to train so thats another consideration if u have 2 or more cars and since lidl opened there is alot more traffic flying up and down the road. Plus there is a proposal to close the bridge at clonsilla to traffic so u might need to consider that too. Overall tho i do recommend the area and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I live in Mount Symon and have done since it was built, lovely estate with a very active Residents Association. The only road I would think twice about buying in would be the Avenue which is the entrance to the estate. The road is too narrow and has too many cars parked on it, very poor design. I often walk through Portersgate, this is slightly older but is a lovely estate, I think the houses may be slightly more expensive than MS but also slightly smaller. MS and Portersgate are nice and close to the train station and also Lidl! I don’t know Allendale so can’t comment. Sorrell, Limelawn, Charnwood and Castlefield are all lovely, you wouldn’t really go too wrong with any of them. Just bear in mind that the last four are not in the catchment area for St. Mochta’s National School whereas MS and PG are. Good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement