Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you like the New boards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

Think I'm in a minority - but it seems fine to me. Useablity/navigation pretty much same as before as far as I can tell! Noticed one or two glitches this morning which seem to have been fixed. Like function instead of thanks wasn't there this morning

like the notifcation after you are quoted rather than everytime someone posts in the tread (which was a bit useless)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

it's as wonky as Conor Mcgregors left ankle

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Yeah I’m finding them very hard to read too. The layout isn’t right. It’s not comfortable to read on a mobile browser, which is where most of us are probably viewing it.

Also I eventually found a way of finding my posts, which is incredibly unintuitive. You have to go to your profile (which incidentally doesn’t work reliably in iOS Safari. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t). Then find comments. Discussions seems to be only threads I’ve started.

I’m already finding I’m not interacting with threads as much as the whole thing’s impossible to navigate and really lacking any kind of intuitive interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I'm not averse to change and I know we need to get used to whatever the site is now but it will take a lot of time.

While the staff etc. have put a lot of time, effort and patience into it, from my uneducated and untech pov, is it better?

I'm presuming that the site in its current form will not be final and improvements will be made to make it more user friendly.

However, it's not great at the minute, it's not as quick to read through or interact with. It appears to me (so far) to be minimally customisable and it seems to take more time and effort than it's actually worth.

On using it for less than an hour today on the mobile version, it is immediately apparent that it has lost its community feel (for me). When I'm here, I see 3-4 posts in isolation (maybe its the same on the old touch site), but I don't feel "part" of the discussion/conversation. I'm somewhat disconnected and it feels like a 'post and go' situation.

I'm not a rage quitter and I want to like it but I may end up with more time to do the real life stuff I should be doing, instead of being here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Bookmark this link, a list of forums

Topics — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

Gardening forum is halfway downish. Or Ctrl F to find it etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

My thoughts exactly. The intimate community feel is totally gone for me.

It looks and feels like one of those crappy forums on a mobile phone company’s customer care website, certainly when viewed from a mobile browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bodking

Tell me where my messages are and my following threads and I might .

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bodking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Things like post order are a bit buggy at the moment. If you go into a forum, they're not in order either and the dates are all over the place. I'd imagine this is just something they haven't got around to fixing yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I think it's fairly poor as is, but it's clearly unfinished and fairly buggy. That said, it shouldn't really have gone live in this state. The site being down for an entire week wasn't a great look either.

As for people asking if it's not broke why fix it? I work in software development and have been involved in similar projects before where you are migrating an old application to a newer platform. The bits that are broken that necessitate the upgrade are not visible to the end user, they have a working app and want it to stay that way but in reality the shortcomings of the current architecture will eventually make the app impossible to maintain and therefore it will die. The new backend probably won't be compatible with the existing front end and thus you get a new one, the quality of which completely varies on who is making it. From the bits and pieces the admins have said about this change it certainly sounds like that's roughly the case here.

I can imagine there was a good reason this was all done, it's just not going brilliant thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I'm liking the notifications of an update in thread. https://boards.ie/profile/preferences/ More options for getting updates.

I’m done! I am finding the mobile site is giving me a headache and a dose of stress!

Let me know when you’ve sorted this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I have just done a couple of posts there. It seems grand to me.

The 'flag' button is a lot clearer. You had to be 'in the know' to use it before.

It now gives a clear - 'spam, abuse, flag' options. Much better.

All my previous discussions are listed in one spot. And my bookmarks (followed threads are listed in another)

There is even a handy draft thing that appears as I am typing this. If people go away from their device now for whatever reason, posters will clearly know that the draft was saved.

It has now more of an 'email account' feel about it which I like. It already feels less 'clunky' than the old boards.ie imo.

The insert media buttons seem to have a nicer interface - (which badly needed to be changed)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

No, but I don't like change anyway..

I'm sure we'll all get used to it.

I disagree with the comments that the 'intimate community feel' has gone I think that is in people's heads. And purely nostalgia based comment. It is typing on a keyboard at the end of the day. Nothing has changed in that regard. It makes me think of Brian Mullins comment in the Underdogs GAA show when removing a tearful contestant.

'Is it a hug you want?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Like any new layout and platform, it will take getting used to and also more changes are probably being made whilst live and bit by bit some features will reappear and we'll get used to other features that have changed.

Best to wait a few weeks before making judgement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭magic17

Seems ok, I'm sure once all the small bits are fixed it will be much better.

Could have been handled and planned better but nobody will remember that in a few weeks once everything is fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Can't edit a a reply or edit a quote.

Obviously we are going for the less is more approach.

I think its grand......its only a website at end of the day

Its an improvement visually,and hopefully it wont continualy fail to stay open like the old site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Anyone know where the anal pegging forum went?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

If you click home on top leaf you should see your threads there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

is the "mark forums read" option gone as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Can't Edit Profile?

I did edit it this morning and added a useful feature of showing posts as they respond in a thread you have posted in now I can't find where I did that?

Now I assume Profiles are being worked on. If so it would be good to get some notification of whats currently being changed, worked on or otherwise messed with.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I think the whole idea was the forum was creaking on a 20 year old database that was never designed for the amount of users on it, that's why they needed to change it or they probably could have lost everything...

Like anything, it's not fully ready to go but even since this morning they are getting loads of good fixes in already as it seems easier to fix mistakes on the fly with this site....

• Advertisement

Boards.ie have made a complete pig’s arse of the mobile site. It is impossible to find the topics/threads I followed, it looks crap, honestly, it is like a newbie IT student was given an assignment to develope a site, and this was his/her first attempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I will wait and see what updates they bring, but currently it seems like a step backwards.

The migration debacle proved the team and management don't really know what they're doing. I find it hard to believe this is supposed to be a for-profit company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

When you click on a link it should open by default in a new window/ tab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭garrettod

Do I like it...

No!!!

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I don't understand why they didn't create the new website first, then did a test migration, and then tested the new website. Then when everything has been tested and fixed, they do the migration. They could even have made old posts read only, migrated those in the background, and then do a few hours downtime (middle of the night) for the newer posts.

This is really basic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think quite often peoples gut reaction to change is to dislike it. It will take some using of it to actually get a true feel for what it is like compared to the old version.

That being said, I'm not an immediate fan of all the 'white' (advertising I presume space) and particularly on quoted posts about 20% of the screen is taken up with white space at the top of the post.

Oh, and as someone with a fairly hardwired dislike of Facebook, the use of the Thumbs up logo from FB for the like here makes me shudder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Can't find any thread I was posting on. Using mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Get rid of the **** "like" thumbs up button and bring back thanks. It's not Facebook. Trying to be down with the kids when nobody under 40 uses the site.

Oh yeah that is not good. Especially with wafflers like myself, posters heads will be wrecked having to quote whole posts. Instead of the relevant parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭KilOit

Meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

When I joined exactly 20 years ago the site flew....damn you all 😋

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

can we say **** or ****?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is actually terrible.

Who is going to take responsibility for the project management catastrophe on this? Not only has the outcome proved dreadful and a mess, but the site was down through some massive calenders events, the climax of the Euros and a important by-election.

It's a PR and management disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Pissflaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's not too bad so far , wasn't sure what to expect logging back on , prompted to lv4 whatever that means too

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

I can understand they wanted to create a better site. But I cant even find my previous followed threads, I've lost my dark theme, and I can't figure out how to navigate this place anymore :(

Hopefully it does get fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I for one do not welcome our new boards overlords.

This sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Absolute nonsense 🙄 Source? Link? I'm under 40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The Like button is way too facebook, needs to change back to Thanks asap. The links to share to FB and Twitter are also unnecessary, nobody shares boards posts. Also Flag being first is a classic admin's point of view, it should be furthest right and probably smaller as the least likely to be used, with multiquote restored to the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Will take some…………..getting used to; you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sphinxicus

is there any way to change the theme? Im sure i was using some sort of "classic" theme before a newer layout was introduced which i didnt like.

Everything seems far too spaced out now, can only fit circa 3 posts on a 1080p monitor.

Would like a "compact" theme

• Advertisement
Advertisement