Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you like the New boards

Comments

cant see an improvement as yet but maybe it takes time to get used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

No you can do it in the post editor.

Highlight a bit of text and you get options.

Bold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I think it's now in "groups" section

Soccer is gone also as it was a private group, I'm sure they will get it back soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭mossie

There's a star beside the thread title. If you tap on it goes yellow to show you're following.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

On the plus side, we all now know never to go next or near vanilla for any future projects. Shower of useless <better not say, see you next Tuesday>

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Think I'll just be spending less time on here now which probably isn't a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I don't like it so far but in-fairness the old site was broken, constant problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

No.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I like the notifications and messages section up in the corner. But thats about it. Everything else seems like a stap back. The format of the site looks OLDER than the previous one

• Advertisement

Oh right... Sounds handy that 😁 ☹️ Will get around to it after I solve p = np 😂😁

Me, I just started a new thread, and it's not coming up under the 'followed threads'... wtf...! Can't even follow me own thread 😥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

When you try your best, but you don't succeed...

Stuck in reverse...

And the tears come streaming down your face...

When you lose something, you can't replace...

When you love someonething, but it goes to waste...

Could it be worse?...

And I will try to fix you

When will you fix Boards.ie? The old site was better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

That it has but I can't browse all the threads making the experience a pain in the hole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I keep expecting to hear this when I try to access the site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

People hate change - there a huge industry centred around molly coddling snowflakes so that they don't get too upset when a change is made.

Unions, especial health, transport and teaching unions threaten strikes when their snowflake members have to do something differently.

Yeah, the site is different, yeah you have to spend a little time look around, but jaysus, it free, it lets you vent or ask questions. No charge, no providing ID, no jumping though hoops. Accept the change or go away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

touch.boards.ie had a perfect design, probably the best mobile version of a forum I've seen, there was no need to change it. This looks much more difficult to navigate now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Lots of features missing, lots of wasted screen 'real estate'.

Transitions are tough. It'll take little time to iron things out but I'm sure it'll be fine after a while.

I would love to know a little bit about the underlying technology stacks. What was the DB, backend tech, what is it now? Anyone know?

Edit: OK, quick glance at the documentation says Vanilla is MySQL at the DB layer. Was wondering would it be a NoSQL DB but clearly not. Since its open source I guess I could have a look around myself but I'm on holidays. Don't want to know that badly. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

I can't say that I like the layout of the new site. It is a combination of being used of the old one and hating the layout of this one. I'll see if I stick it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the problem is not that it is different. the problem is that it is worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

If you scroll to top of page and press home button you should see my threads / trending etc.

It's a pain , maybe there is a quicker way but i havent found it yet anyway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's an advantage too. Now I can see your point, but the problem with the reddit style layout is it creates echo chambers as a given as the popular opinion(and often by virtue of just being one of the first posts), right, wrong or whatever ends up being the only thing you see, while everything else that doesn't fit the local sub/forum culture gets downvoted into oblivion. I've seen that happen in pretty much every sub on reddit. No matter what the subject matter. Alternative views, opinions and information are bloody hard to find.

That said a couple of trends have happened over the interwebs in the last two decades. Initially most posters and opinions and info was coming from the more nerdy geeky types as the price of admission required more IT know how. That demographic tend to be less fractious and the nature of the platforms meant fewer echo chambers. Then the move to phones away from PC's and laptops, made replies shorter by the nature of them. A good and bad thing. More everyday people got on board too as the price of admssion was the ability to finger paint on a phone screen. Add in the importation of the various them v us identity politics from Yankland and we got more nastiness and more echo chambers. Twitter sums up all of that pretty much.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

The different forums being all in one list and not being placed in subsections is a complete pain. You'd hope this is just teething pains, but as yet it looks like something a first year in college does as part of his first continuous assessment in web design. It's so far off the quality of the old site it's unreal, never mind other site's of a similar make up. Proboards would have done a far superior job, and quicker too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Il reserve judgement. Still feeling my way around. First comment here btw

It'll be fine. The guts of a site are here and they've migrated all the data. It's not that hard to theme a site to look good, and hopefully they'll do that soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Early impressions, no.

Not too bad on desktop, but Touch site appears very unfriendly to use.

No MY FORUMS tab? Or an equivalent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Will we be getting our thanks back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Yeah, the amount of whitespace is ludicrous, on desktop anyway. If it's like this on mobile too will take forever to scroll a page.

There seem to be fundamental layout issues. The user details in the left sidebar seem to be spilling into the centre section and pushing everything down, adding a load more whitespace. But only on some posts, mainly (only?) quoted ones.

Multiquote seems to be gone?

Whole thing seems a bit of a disaster, huge step backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Its a bit of a fixer upper if you ask me... nothing wrong with the old platform...

on Microsoft Edge on the latest version of W10

The update is a load of crap

Formatting and "look and feel" is all over the place.. it looks like I'm using a mobile site on a laptop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Don't like it at all so far, can't find things. Functionality is cat

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

That doesn't work from the deaktop version of the website, only the touch version.

None of those options are available on desktop however when I navigated to the site on my mobile they were present.🧐

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I know there's a lot of negativity around the update and to be honest I agree, It looks like a piece of sh!t.

Post edited by Oranage2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6 muahahahaha

I like the old format one than the new one. Also, for some reason, my account was removed and I needed to re-register.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭busunderer

seems slow, much latency, UI 3/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I dont like it. I need a button that says "Legacy Mode" so I can click it and escape this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

I'm seeing fixes, improvements happening live as I scroll and use the site on both desktop and mobile.

Mobile seems okay -responsive, nice looking. I'd suggest making the line seperating posts a bit clearer if possible (on mobile)

Profile options are full on mobile (eg quote level flattening options), desktop no options just yet as the little notice says on it.

Despite my first post sounding like a moan I'm looking forward to the next few days - platform will definitely give more options than the old one by the looks of it - eventually.

Profile options, navigation, less clicking should be priority also give option to user to only see non-live external links in posts rather than having to accept live links to external sites if that's possible.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

My first post since the change and it's difficult finding my way around the site, followed threads etc hard to find. It'll take time to get used to it.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Disaster. More empty space than Croke Park during lockdown. Looks like something a 1st year college student wrote as a project when this internet thing was starting out in 1997 and recently found on a floppy disk and was mortified when they saw it on a modern computer and monitor.

• Advertisement

You have to do it on mobile, doesn't (currently) work on desktop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Have to say I am not a fan. The old site seemed so easy to navigate in comparison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Where is the soccer forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

not me 😛

mobile is atrocious as it stands. but lets give em time to iron out the wrinkles eh ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

This site is now so painful to navigate and use. Thank god the downtime got me to try out Reddit and Twitter.

I think someone will be getting the sack after signing off on this clusterfuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Awful on a mobile, which is where the majority are using it from. Search bar no longer suggests forum or user names when you start typing them which I found extremely useful before. Won’t be using boards too much going forward if this is the new look and feel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

Well at least those people can take solace in the fact that no matter how much changes one thing that will never change is some people's determination to turn literally any completely unrelated topic into a rant against their pet hates like "snowflakes" or trade unions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Snowflakes also like to see change, newest version, latest release etc. when there is no actual need.

My first impression is that it offers nothing extra, but is not as easy on the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Its still a work in progress, right? It looks awful and its a nightmare to navigate.

Is this the boards version of yer Ma saying eat that dinner or you'll be wearing it? 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's much better than I expected after a re-plat.

Much worse than it used to be :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement