Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭solasGael

I understand that the boards.ie app is no longer supported but am still interested in using it if that'd be possible. I get an error that admin for the app has to approve me, any hope of that. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

It was never official was it? Last time I saw them mention that here they were complaining they weren't getting anything from the ads on there.

How do you unfollow a thread!?? I unbookmarked it but that doesn't work??

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭solasGael

An app would be fab. I really don't know how to unfollow, but best of luck. :)

Confused, I haven't really used the site much in months now. I see all the comments saying it's much better.

I clicked on categories there now, their is "Talkto, Topics and Regional" thats it under All. So it's a clickfest that no one will use. I'm getting an error under following.

Like, it's still a mess. What improved???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭Jeff2

First one deleted but one with picture no way to delete the picture.

What part of a post in the list do people press to go to the first unread on mobile? It seems to be completely random as to whether it goes to the first unread, top of last page, or last post. Or maybe I’m just not pressing the right link in the format.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think most of the earlier posters in this thread have more or less given up at this stage. All that's left are those trying to make the best of it as the staff try to bodge the Vanilla software into something vaguely resembling the old site - something that'll no doubt take even longer now with the sad passing of Mark.

I could be wrong mind. I haven't bothered much at all since the "relaunch" but for me it's a shadow of its former self.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

It’s a disaster and the issues around online bullying is rapidly growing

it seems the report button doesn’t work. People are been attacked and nothing done which means the people are pushing and pushing to see how far they can get without a ban

Seemingly if people reported a person, that person could read the report. Crazy **** going on

Its just turned into a really nasty nasty website on some of the forums, not all mind you.

i doubt any if the team care with the passing of Mark, my condolences, but I have used this site on and off for 10–15 years and it’s the first time I seen the user group as bad. Twitter if a nicer place to be and Twitter is awful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

In fairness though, I think the last week or so have seen some major improvements (I always use mobile). It's a million times better than when it was originally migrated over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The problem I have with that is that all they are currently struggling to achieve is to get the site back to close to what it was - which they constantly complained was riddled with issues they couldn't address on that platform.

At what point do we start to see ACTUAL improvements? Is it even possible on this cut-down forum software they've bought into to save costs?

Because that ultimately was the driver here.. cut the costs of running the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Whats noticeably changed really though? There are a few very minor things sure andif there are background process being fixed but little that actually impacts the user experience. Still no post numbers, still no my forums (granted there is a really **** my categories version), search still totally borked, no dark mode, quotes still look stupid, no multi quote, no easy edit quote, no pop up menus when you hover over things, no actual addressing of GDPR concerns etc etc etc.

As Kaiser rightly points out the new site still falls far short of the old one in terms of basic functionality and it really doesn't feel like its being addressed.

Mobile does seem marginally better than what it was but it was utterly unuseable and for me at least that's nowhere near as important as a functional desktop site.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,335 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Can this be fixed, please?

Use of inverted commas, ampersand (and possibly other characters) causing mayhem in thread titles.

It only happens in desktop, they show properly on the touch site.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Can we not see Prison anymore? Used to really cheer me up going in there for a gawk.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,335 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'm still finding the site a bit slow, particularly when switching to the next page in a thread. The load time isn't more than a couple of seconds, but it just feels really sluggish. Of all the internet forums I read, Boards is easily the slowest. Hopefully the speed can be improved on in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

No prison, Dispute Resolution or help desk 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I innocently asked why Boards hadn't joined Tapatalk years ago. The reply was that they didn't need a third party & were perfectly capable of producing their own app 🙄

An alternative perspective: I was an avid addicted player of The Sims 3. It was cool. I got hours of fun out of it and bought add - ons like Sim Adventures.

Then The Sims 4 came along. The Sims 3 was wound down. There was a barrage of criticism, initially on YouTube but this was muted. Compared to Sims 3 Player characters, Sims 4 player characters were Stupid, Tactless, and somewhat more boring.

I never played the Sims 4, and have no intention orf playing the Sims 5.

Parallels can be drawn by me with the Old Boards format, and the new Vanilla format.

• Advertisement

+1 The "inmates" cannot see us 'Thanking' the 'Warden' Moderators. And non inmate posters cannot 'interject' / post in Prison

Prison was invisible before vanilla move guys, wasn't it?

Not long after the thunderdome was sterilised if im remembering right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,507 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

It's finally picked up its skirts and "speeded up" a little.

Maybe two seconds or so to load a page this morning as opposed to fifteen or more.

Again though, we're still on a meandering path back to where we were with the nasty old bug filled platform that the CEO was so anxious to get rid of.

Baby steps, but it seems like an awful lot of effort for no gain a tall-at this rate, the "improvements" are a long way off yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

never could, (unless you count pighead, but that was before my time)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Not a biggie in the grand scale of things, but I was wondering - why is there an exclamation mark after Thanks on the thank button? The old button was a simple thumbs up, t'was grand.

Also, could we have a finger button beside the thanks button...would liven things up no end <pac>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Are they ever going to restore:

1: Mark forum read.

2: List of users online.

3: Name of original poster at start of new threads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Just logged on for the first time in a few days.

140 notifications. Clicked the first one and, again, all immediately marked read. The first one brought me to the last post in this thread, so I've no way of finding my first unread post.

So...is there any update on fixing the notifications issue @Boards.ie: Niamh ? I've been flagging for the last six weeks that it (and the My Forums tab, as others have said) makes the site impossible to follow to anywhere near the level of the old one.

Yet it seems the changes coming through are minor ones like changing "Like" to "Thanks" (though even that loses its impact when you can't easily see posts with lots of thanks, either through the Most Thanked or by seeing 2-3 lines of names under a post)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement