Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

You can multi quote by just pressing the quote button on multiple posts. Can't choose which section to quote however, but would be a nice feature. I know on other websites that use discourse forums you can just select the text and a menu comes up that allows you to quote part of a post, that would be a nice feature to have here.

There looks to be a setting that needs to be enabled server side to make a quoted section editable, even limited functionality such as bolding the parts of a quote would make life easier.

contenteditable="false" currently it is disabled

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Got 150 notifications today, not sure how to disable them 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I cannot seem to see where I can unsubscribe to a thread - I am getting loads of new notifications in the bell

in the form of red dot with number of notification in white number - but i have not subscribed to them threads that I am receiving notifications for nor can I see them in my bookmarks nor have replied on the thread so I don't know why I am being notified about them . I only want to be notified of a thread I have subscribed to / followed / replied in to cut down these notifications, but when I open up the thread I cannot see an 'unfollow' button or any means to stop receiving notifications on the thread . any ideas?

Also , has the 'Tags' feature missing in 'New look Boards.IE' ? - I cannot see it any more .. and the threads have the latest replies showing first now instead of at the end as the old one. Can that be put back or do I change it in settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Also, apart from the terms of use, all your links on the bottom of the desktop site are broken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Ive 528 notifications this morning. Think I’ll spend the day looking through them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

This worked a treat and solved the notification issue for me, thank you.

Any update on being able to see private forums like Soccer etc in 'My Forums'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Jesus Christ the notifications!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Any chance we might ever be able to add threads to an ignore list in the same way as we can users?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

All notification switched off and still getting them come on this is a joke at this stage on top of everything else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The notifications issues in general have been raised for the past few weeks at this stage and nothing's been changed.

If you want to clear them, just click on the bell in mobile and they all get marked as read. Which is really unhelpful, but in this case, two wrongs actually do make a right.

• Advertisement

It's bullshit. I'm getting popup notifications for threads that I've never even participated in. I've switched off all notifications in my preferences and I'm still getting bombarded.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Marking them as read doesn't stop the deluge of notifications you get though. In my case I was getting multiple notifications few minutes. It was a pain in the hole. It seems like a relatively new issue though that was only created a few days ago.

Assuming you are having the same issue I and others had which only started the other night. You need to follow and unfollow the forum the notifications are coming from. That worked for me. Once I done that I stopped getting notifications from that forum. The problem seems to be that the site has you following those forums (looks to be based on forums you followed on the old site) but they don't appear on your notifications page until you follow them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭mossie

It's been weeks now since the switch to Vanilla and, while there has been some improvement in some areas, the overall experience is still very poor. Search is very poor (although to be fair this was the case before too), there is no trace of "my forums" returning, the notifications are a pain, no "mark forum read" button and probably a lot I'm forgetting.

Cheers AC. Funnily enough, I had actually tried that with a couple of forums and it seemed to work so was coming in here to update.

Now all I have to do is actually find the forums!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,693 ✭✭✭✭klose

Popup notifications blocking up half the screen on mobile, can't even write a post half the time as the text field is filled by pop ups, can't get rid of them?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thanks for the posts everyone, as I said in a previous post Vanilla are investigating this as users should not have been automatically signed up to notifications for all posts and new threads in their old folloowed forums but this seems to be what has happened. As soon as they have it fixed, I'll let you know.

In the meantime, the workaround is to go to the forum itself and follow then unfollow it and this should override the other notification settings.

Sorry about this, I know it's a pain to be bombarded with them when you log in.

Regarding My Forums, we are still working on that as it is not a functionality that exists on Vanilla so we are building something ourselves for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Are we any closer to changing notifications from one per post (at present - leading to huge numbers of notifications) to one per updated thread?

Or the issue where on mobile, viewing notifications clears them all, while on desktop, you have to view them individually, even if they're on the same thread, to clear them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭sporina

Hi Niamh,

I sent you a few messages but you have not replied so thought I would try to here.

Q 1. Is there a thread where Boards staff update on us as to what is happening with changes/improvements etc? I don't have the time or inclination to read all of the posts on this thread (no offence to anyone; there are just sooo many posts).

Q 2. What is happening with the "search" function - will we ever be able to search for our posts in a particular thread?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Cody montana

How do I find my posts? No link on profile?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭sporina

thanks but that has not been updated since 13/8/21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭mossie

There probably hasn't been a lot to report in that time. Niam and Odhran have posted a few time here but it's all been fairly minor stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Strangely enough, I am getting notifications for newly started threads in the genealogy forum

on desktop, all notifications settings are off, with no follows or bookmarks in the forum (and no posts or mentions in the threads)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Notifications an absolute disaster. So off-putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

843 notifications, just gonna see how many I can get until it’s fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Is there any app that makes the site half decent? It's horrific on mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

lol, I had to turn notifications off - having to sift thru multiple notifications of every new reply on one thread alone (87 for this thread, in one day), just to find even one reply on any other thread is ridiculous. This new notification system looks like it's customizable, but in actuality, it's not remotely workable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Apologies if this has been asked already but is there a way to mark the whole website as "read"

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

On Mobile, tap the profile icon and then tap mark all viewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Brilliant. Never thought to check via mobile rather than desktop

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement