Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don’t think it matters either way whether or not Fritz is a web developer tbh, I’ve worked with plenty of people who were web developers who didn’t know their arse from their elbow. That being said, clicking on the burger menu at the top of the page beside the Boards.ie logo, et voila -

Genuinely not sure why all the fuss of the last few pages was necessary. There’s no scrolling down to the bottom of the page or RTFM necessary, it’s right there in the burger menu. Granted ‘intuitive’ is going to mean different things are obvious, or not obvious at all to different people, no matter how capable they are as a web developer, or whether they are a web developer at all, but on this occasion, it’s right there at the top of the page in the burger menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The "Bookmark this discussion" ticked just below the Leave a Comment box (as highlighted by a previous poster) doesn't seem to do anything.

Edit: or does it? Tried it last night and it didn't follow any forums, now I tried and it followed this one.

I actually don't think there's much point in doing any more work on the site, it's never going to be close to as useable as before and people have just given up anyway. Don't bother putting anymore lipstick on the pig. Even the few people who like it must surely care that they won't have anyone to talk to soon. I honestly can't believe what they've done to the place, and Gubu, while a great effort still doesn't have the forums I want, or people. So where to now? Quite sad about it all really.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Any of the functionality can be gotten used to, but are we stuck with the slow clunky jerky way the site performs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The problems with the mechanics of the site are one thing but rudely dismissing people as stupid will drive more people away. You're a fine addition to the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Anybody else notice a significant drop in activity on threads they were previously subscribed to?

I certainly have noticed a significant drop in activity on a number of threads compared to before the site update.

While not perfect, I’ve kind of gotten used to new site…I wonder did a number of people just give up with the combination of site down time and then the initial new site mess.

Be interesting to see the average weekly number of posts pre vs post site update.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,101 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Hey @Boards.ie: Niamh is there a way to stop the "bookmark this discussion" being automatically checked. I do NOT want to follow all the threads I post in and having to uncheck it every time is a major PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

All over the site tbh, bargain alerts is a shadow of its former self

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭peek a boo

The Puzzles and Quizzes Forum had TWO posts yesterday 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

The absolute state of the site now, it's a nightmare.

Why do I have 636 notifications on mobile for no apparent reason... I am notified any time anyone posts in CA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

1784 notifications here this morning

Reading Niamh's last update, it seems this is all the result of Vanilla pushing an update out that broke something Boards did - exactly what I said would happen a few weeks ago.

This is what happens when you don't own the platform and make "unsupported" customisations to it. Considering one of the reasons for migration (which we now know were in fact entirely financial but anyway...) was the amount of unsustainable customisation to the old platform, it's ironic if nothing else I suppose!

Expect much more of this going forward. Just wait till Vanilla do a version upgrade!

Someone posted a link to a traffic stats site a week or two ago that suggested numbers visiting was actually up!

Of course, how many of these are people hoping that "this time it'll be better", or "it can't be THAT bad!" is unclear. Stats for the quarter will give a better indication.

From my own observations though it seems a lot quieter outside of this particular forum anyway. Hard to navigate, broken or missing functionality, extra clicks everywhere, and a overriding sense that the platform just isn't designed for what Boards are now trying to shoehorn into it are the lasting impressions for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

A web developer that spent six weeks complaining and moaning and never learned that you don't have to scroll to the bottom of the page for the button. Making out that the User Guide is some mythical thread that's buried away is nonsense too. We had stickied threads before the platform change.

People saying they can't find the Feedback forum while they are in fact posting that comment in the feedback forum, I suppose that's Boards fault too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

My understanding was that the notification issue was caused by an update Boards requested. As Niamh noted in another thread, notifications for followed forums weren't working correctly. Boards requested an update to fix this, which worked but broke something else in the process. This has now been rolled back.

It's still a mess regardless, but now with the added complication of a vendor in a different time zone and a platform that - either by inherent limitations or the tier Boards have bought - just isn't doing the job.

At least on the previous version, they had end to end control over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭mossie

Huge drop off in posting on most forums I follow. It's gotten a little busier as people learn how to find forums they used to follow but still way down on before the switch. Apart from this thread of course😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Just did some tests. If you're not following/bookmarked and post a comment with the bookmark checked, it will follow/bookmark the discussion (needs a page refresh to show the bookmark at the top of the page). If you uncheck and comment however it will not unfollow / remove bookmark, which it should. If you just comment with it unchecked it won't bookmark (so long as the discussion is not bookmarked to begin with). Much scrolling to find out if a discussion is bookmarked though so kind of ridiculous.

By default on the old site once you comment it would follow regardless but there was a much easier way to unfollow once you did comment as the button was right at the end of the page to unfollow the discussion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,368 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Why would you post in a thread and not want to see the responses to that post?

I check all the forums I follow for new posts/threads, I'm well able to recognise threads I've posted in. I only bookmark threads in forums I don't follow, like this one, random threads in DIY, motors etc.

I've gone through settings and there's no way to disable this by default. There was on old boards. Of all the issues with the migration so far, this is the one that is most irritating for me.

On the old site you could change that in settings. I've been on here well over 10 years (this is my second account) and I NEVER automatically followed a thread I posted in.

• Advertisement

Many posts can be a one-off comment, a reply to a particular question etc. You don't necessarily want to be notified of all activity in every thread you contribute to,

Post edited by Jim_Hodge on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,368 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

How about follow up questions or where clarification is needed? Seems to me like a bit of a seagull way to post

It depends on the size of the thread. If it's a busy thread it's unlikely to need revisiting.

What's unbelievable about it? I follow about 8 forums and check those forums for updates. So I'd spot if there were new posts on a thread I'd posted on. I don't follow motors so if I'd asked a question there I'd follow the thread to watch for answers.

So why post if you're not revisiting? Doesn't make sense to me at all.

If everyone posted like that the site would be an incoherent mess.

It depends on the thread. If I wandered in to a thread asking my favourite food, dog breed or movie I wouldn't feel a need to revisit it ad infinitum. It would be a poor existence to be following up on all notifications on every thread one has posted in. Life's too short for that. I'll follow some topics or forums but I'll be damned if I want to keep being advised about threads I neither need nor want to revisit.

As Jim_Hodge says, you don't need to revisit every thread e.g when did you get your vaccine, show us your car insurance renewal, recommend a show/pub/restaurant etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭JayRoc

What an odd attitude. Maybe someone simply answered a question in a thread and that was all they wanted to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭corks finest

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement