Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Wow it's a complete and utter mess. From my perspective the new platform is delivering a far worse experience. I agree that a drop down menu is needed, in my case I used it to get to my subbed forums quickly. What surprises me the most it looks like we have to re-request functions that were already in place.

The site also seems to be very glitchy with page load errors and very slow responses. Obviously the m.boards.ie has been killed which is a shame as it was the version I used on the mobile because it was quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Have some posts disappeared?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Is there supposed to be a preview button for new posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

You don't have to click through 2 or 3 pages to find what you want.

Parent and sub-forums are mostly found in one view on this page https://boards.ie/categories. Ensure View dropdown = All. Cntl+F if you want to search by forum name.

Open the forums you want in new tabs to prevent having to navigate back and forth.

Navigation is fine for now till its sorted properly

• Registered Users Posts: 81,137 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And this is very irksome:

(LOVE the copy and paste of images, though - lots of great things we are glad to see!)

That's the center of my screen, there is so much unused space and the body is off-center, long thread titles are bleeding over into 2 lines, and where did all of the commas go? My postcount is 5 figures, that needs a comma, the hyperlinks between page numbers absolutely need them -> is that page 4 of the chat thread, or 45? It requires eyestrain and effort to say and is confusing next to its neighbor on page 137.

Also, how do I edit a quote? If I need to bold text or even just snip it, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

Why is there so much blank space on the right, is it reserved for FG adverts?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,185 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Unable to edit my profile as there is a space in my screen name how the hell was something as simple like that not spotted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 damned_junkie

I worked on a boards redesign project many moons ago. The codebase was sketchy back then and I doubt it got better in the intervening years. I can well believe a rip and replace was the only way to keep the lights on.

I hope you’re holding up ok against the firehouse of shite currently being directed your way…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Replying to a post completely throws me off where I was. It's pretty annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Cant edit that, not yet anyway

can do this

@Overheal Also, how do I edit a quote? If I need to bold text or even just snip it, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The hyperlinked post count numbers definitely need commas as a separater.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

It's just not very inviting or user friendly. I was looking forward to catching up on my regular threads but when I open the website now, I just go nah couldn't be arsed with this and move on to something else.

I guess it's already been reported, but just to get another comment in, the mobile / touch site is a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

GATEWAY TIME-OUT

The web server reported a gateway time-out error.

• Ray ID: 66f663fd5f37dc33
    • Your IP address: 213.233.155.153
    • Error reference number: 504
    • Cloudflare Location: London

What happened?

The initial connection between Cloudflare's network and Vanilla timed out. As a result, the web page can not be displayed.

What can I do to resolve this?

Please try again in a few minutes. If the problem persists, you can contact the site owner to let them know you were unable to reach the website.

Your IP: 213.233.155.153

Ray ID: 66f663fd5f37dc33

Help Performance & Security by Vanilla Forums Inc.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

FYI, weird bug on desktop if you mess around with the window size IE make it smaller from the sides. If you to to a certain size a Vanilla logo appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

just do yourself a favour and roll it back to the way it was. If you do don’t you’ll be closed in 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Alibaba

Is it too late to bring back the old boards we all knew and loved. This is a disaster..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭bladespin

Mobile version is just plain awful, can’t find anything, won’t get a chance to see the ‘real’ version until tomorrow, really missed boards while it was down, getting worried now 😔

• Advertisement

I want the old touch site back it was perfect until then I won’t be back sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭Tow

In addition to the missing comma in the post count. The 'Join Date: September 2020' can be shortened to 'Joined Sep 2020'. The dots between the avatar, stars, Join Date and Posts do not add anything to the UX and in any event do not go across the panel. There is also utf8 encoding for extended characters in the popups when the mouse moves across threads.

Over all the site is also much shower and appears to be hosted in the US, which adds to the latency.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I did indeed, thanks for the help. This one just feels better. Who knows, might change it again if the “mood” takes me.

Just trying to get used to all this change, better than getting all “worked up” about it and saying the end is nigh, like.

Time for bed now, I’ll muck around with the new “setup” a bit more tomorrow but it’s time for bed now. Night, night.

The tide is turning…

I can see commas in post counts, using Chrome on Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Oooh, has the swear filter been disabled??? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've just realised that clicking on a link within a thread boots you out of boards...... with a warning, which means yet another click...... there's an awful lot of clicking on this new platform.....

Is it not possible to have links open an a new tab?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Can’t seem to rank search results by date on mobile. Can’t see option for desktop version either.

😎

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I miss the non-bold font as the read title font (as opposed to bold for unread)

Also, the subscribed forums drop down was great, makes things a lot easier to navigate.

There's a bunch of dead links like "categories". Looking forward to the wrinkles getting smoothed out...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement