Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I've seen a few people mention this, but it seems to only affect a small subset of users. On a (not very rigorous) test, https://www.boards.ie/discussions hit the "load" event in 3.16s. For comparison, https://www.rte.ie/news/ took 2.98s. It's not super-fast, but it's certainly acceptable.

It seems likely that the affected users have some shared factor causing it - possibly one (or more) of: VPN; location; browser configuration; browser extension; ad-blocker; ISP. Or it could be something else entirely. Pinning it down is probably not going to be easy

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You can now post blank posts on mobile again. Did it accidentally yesterday and obviously can't delete. Looks like something was stepped back because there definitely was a minimum character limit recently.

No, editing it and removing the text is the only workaround available (or send a PM to a mod and asking them to do it, but they're likely to want an actual reason, like that it has personal information in it)

If someone asks for an empty post to be deleted, we'll just delete it as there is nothing there to see anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

15-20 mins downtime just there

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

where's the drop down menu's???😶

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Everyone's "join date" and "posts" now shows weird above the post itself instead of where it should under their user name. I guess add this error to the pile of stuff you'll ignore and not fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Already reported and fix is being deployed now according to Niamh.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

There was a change made yesterday that caused that issue with layout, it has been rolled back now.

Blank posts - some update reset the minimum character limit to 0 but it has been reset now so blank posts should no longer be possible.

Delete posts - on the old site we used to have a time limit of 24 hours for deleting a post, after that you could edit for another 24 and that was it. Now, we don't have the option to have a time limit on it, its either everyone can delete their posts forever or you can't delete them at all so we decided to not allow users delete at all but editing is still possible. The whole premise of the site is discussions, if we allowed everyone to delete all of their posts whenever they wanted you could have entire threads disappear when the OP decided they didn't like it any more. It's not ideal but the choice we made with the tools currently available to us.

Search - I noticed this myself last week that some forums are no longer appearing in search results and have reported it to Vanilla who are investigating.

Thanks - it is still on the list of things to do to allow users to see who thanked a post and also to add the Thanks tab back to homepage. I don't have a date for either though yet, sorry.

Not going to the next unread post - I'm surprised this is still happening as the jumping was (as far as I remember) related to ads loading which was fixed. However dropping you into the middle of a thread you have already read is a different issue which I will update to be looked at. It's already on the list but will add in that it is still an issue for some users.

Apologies for the lack of replies here lately folks, we've been mainly concentrating on revenue and ads lately which required more behind the scenes work. I also had a week off there recently - not long enough 😆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No need for the apology Niamh, but might I suggest (for the higher ups) that without a usable and inviting site, ads won't really matter because there'll be no revenue.

Not your fault at all, but the fact that a decision has been made to push more ads through what is still a very broken site is an extremely bad business decision, given that if users can't see the content from the ads (which isn't far off per some recent posts in the Announcements thread), there'll be no content to generate the revenue or users to view the ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Tow

"Not going to the next unread post"

This is still well FUBARed, on this thread it put be on the last post, rather than the first post made to day. It also appears to be worse for threads started on the old system.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The desktop site seems to be reasonably stable, if you know what to click on - the little arrow brings you to first unread post, the thread title brings you to the top of the last page you were reading - the thread title via the bookmarks list brings you to first unread post. Most of the time.

On mobile, however it's a complete lottery, and seems to be getting worse not better. I've missed whole pages of posts, and only realised because way later in the thread someone quotes one of them. Really, really frustrating.

Threads started on the old system - can't remember what happens there first time, but once you get your place once, they generally conform to the above rules (or lack of).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You also forgot to put some of your clocks forward!

Point taken @_Kaiser_ but equally without a sufficient revenue there will be no site for users to read or comment on and it's that simple. No one enjoys ads and we endeacour to make them as unobtrusive as possible. They are the most straight forward and consistent way to create a regular revenue stream which will stabilise our income, hopefully permit us to increase the staff and start working faster on all of the things that need to be fixed, updated or improved. The company we are working with are not just here to add more ads, they are here to make the most of the ad spaces that we aleady have. They suggested more ads than we accepted so it could always have been worse :) It's all a work in progress so we'll see how it goes.

I thought I had posted about that here but it was actually in the Just Bugs thread...we spotted that, it is being looked at, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I posted something on the Radio forum and then noticed that the time was an hour behind. When I go into the Home page, the most recent posts' times are right, but, when I go into them, they are an hour behind.

Edit: Including this post!

The newly changed Cookie/Tracking popup is crashing the browser (Chrome) on the mobile version of the site. It happens when you change between the 3 options/tabs on the top.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Do you mean when you select one of the options on the Cookie pop up that it then crashes?

• Advertisement

Yes

Alright thanks @Tow I'll report that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

GATEWAY TIME-OUT

The web server reported a gateway time-out error.

• Ray ID: 6f6d8aa2fef43607
    • Your IP address: 213.233.155.168
    • Error reference number: 504
    • Cloudflare Location: Manchester

What happened?

The initial connection between Cloudflare's network and Vanilla timed out. As a result, the web page can not be displayed.

What can I do to resolve this?

Please try again in a few minutes. If the problem persists, you can contact the site owner to let them know you were unable to reach the website.

Your IP: 213.233.155.168

Ray ID: 6f6d8aa2fef43607

Help Performance & Security by Vanilla Forums Inc.

Hi Tow, you said you were using Chrome, just making sure that is on Android?

Also are you accesing the site from Ireland, elsewhere or via a VPN? Thanks :)

Chrome on Android from an Irish ISP with out VPN etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Happened to me too yesterday @Boards.ie: Niamh hadn't seen a cloudflare message in a very long time until then.

Also Chrome on Android

I got one a couple of times recently as well - always on mobile, Chrome on Android

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Got same about hour ago. On Android mobile chrome, on eir.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

The desktop site seems to be reasonably stable, if you know what to click on - the little arrow brings you to first unread post, the thread title brings you to the top of the last page you were reading - the thread title via the bookmarks list brings you to first unread post. Most of the time.

This is now broken - the one bit I thought I could depend on 🙄

Clicked on a thread arrow just now, and got brought to a random post way after the last one I'd read - but not the last post in the thread either, nor the top of the last page I'd been on before.

Just some random post.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement