Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I checked Boards Twitter account a few times but absolutely no communication from them.

They probably don't even know it was down.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

As did I.... the last post from boards was back in February - saying "we're back" after another outage, ironically enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,000 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I checked Twitter too but late-ish on a Friday evening was unlikely to get any response these days. More or less a ghost ship at boards hq these days isn't it, so I'd doubt the one employee is on call for this kind of thing.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

During the cloudflare downtime I found I could browse to a certain extent while on a private window without logging in, but that was about it. Not sure if this will be of help to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭con747

I found that as well, I could see posts up to the outage but surely there must be a chain of command where if what happened yesterday some admin or somebody on here can contact those in charge. Can it be the case that the site goes down for more than 3 hours and none of them notice or can't contact the powers that be? I wonder.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Boards don't have out-of-hours support anymore. Nobody is going to be posting about outages outside of working hours. Presumably what happened yesterday was an issue on Vanilla's servers, and the Vanilla team resolved it when they became aware of it, but they're not going to be posting on Boards about it

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I wouldn't expect them to, but surely somebody who has a position on the admin team here has a way to post on twitter or facebook as to what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Admins are not Boards employees. I would be very surprised if any of them have access to anything other than what's on Boards itself, and even if they did, they definitely don't have any access to any information about technical issues or timelines for recovery. What could they post? "Yes, Boards is down. Can't do anything about it or tell you when it will be back. Stay tuned"

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

If that's the case it's a sad case. A rudderless ship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,000 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Surely that's not a surprise though? It's been like it for months and months (and months).

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Not a surprise no, but you would expect one of the couple in charge to be aware of the site being down nearly 4 hours. It shows the interest they have in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I'm surprised it came back after just 4 hours. When I saw it was down after 5 PM on a Friday I thought "Welp, that's boards until Monday..."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I can’t be the only one who saw that the site was down and assumed that it would come back on at some point. It was a Friday evening, not an ideal time to “sort something out”.

I didn’t take it personally and I, certainly, didn’t take it as a chance to have “a go” at those working behind the scenes to keep the site going.

The site came back online and it’s working now, do we really need to hold a public inquiry, and flogging, after?

It’s clear some users don’t like the site, Vanilla or the owners but seem to revel in complaining about how bad things are when, in reality, the site is working pretty well, for the most part, and it never really needed the “dark mode”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

Your wrong about the dark mode. Using the regular white site especially in low light is awful. Especially if you run your mobile in permanent dark mode

I for one don't take it personally or don't like the site or want a public enquiry or have a go at those behind the scenes. Is it too much to ask why the owner has not commented on the outage? I would imagine he was informed but maybe I'm just having a go at him....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

5PM here is only midday EST or wherever Vanilla support operates from. One positive I suppose.

I didn't even know there was an outage until I read this thread.

He rarely posts at all and as with Niamh before him, it'll be left to Mike to come on and explain what happened.

There's no point asking questions. The platform and support contract was chosen because it was cheap. All the missing features (for users and mods), the bugs and what not are because it wasn't built for what Boards was and over the last year or so they've tried to beat it into some sort of facsimile - ironically ending up with the same customised non-standard base that was part of the justification for closing the old site.

Might as well just try and enjoy whatever is left here until it isn't I'm afraid.

Post edited by _Kaiser_ on

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

Morning,

The site went down on Friday afternoon/ evening due to infrastructure work being done on the timeout issue. It was unexpected in this case otherwise Vanilla would have issued a schedule for the downtime.

There is still work that needs to be completed on search returns. A full re-index needs to be done, but the Vanilla team doesn't want to commit to that process until today, Monday. What you'll probably see is that your search will return from older posts (recent items aren't searchable right now). Vanilla are fully aware of that issue and are optimistic about a resolution on Monday when the full team is present. 

I will keep updates posted as I receive them. This issue is almost past us. Thank you all for your patience on this.

Mike.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just to clarify on this, Admins don't have access to the boards twitter or facebook. We also don't have any contact with Vanilla.

If there's a planned outage, we will know, but then so will all of you. If it's unplanned, we know as much as you guys do. 😊

• Advertisement

Back after unscheduled downtime it seems! Is there no change control process with Vanilla? At the very least they should be making customers aware before they take down a site/server?

Ah well.

Search seems to be working though.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,494 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

WEB SERVER IS DOWN The web server is not returning a connection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Neowise

The web server reported a bad gateway error.

some ray IDs.

Ray ID: 7ec71f039fe9dcc7 Ray ID: 7ec71f8cea05dcc7 Ray ID: 7ec7206a1dc9dcc7 Ray ID:7ec720da3aafdcc7 Ray ID: 7ec72176cfaddcc7 Ray ID: 7ec7227319eadcc7 Ray ID: 7ec724549e6ddcc7 Ray ID: 7ec72897ff74dcc7

How many outages is that today? I've lost count!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,023 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don’t like this cosmetic change. Font on mobile just shrank, reducing readability.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Whatever change seems to have been made to the UI today looks disastrous.

I can see two immediate problems on mobile. Firstly the menu disappears when you scroll down (so I can't get to my followed forums). The way it displays threads in forums was much better before too (most recent post, read or not etc).

If it ain't broke...break it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Has the desktop version gone haywire for anyone else today? The top menu is squashed vertically, the thanks button is squashed horizontally, and threads aren't automatically being marked as read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

errrrr

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement