Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

Oh god...not this shite again.....what have ye done to the site now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, it's worse than I first thought. Thanks for confirming!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

WTAF????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,023 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah last time the site changed users got a heads up we got a preview

I don’t feel particularly appreciated with this out of nowhere change for the worse. Thread titles don’t even appear in bold anymore if they have new posts.

I wonder is it intentional though?

They surely couldn't launch a radical redesign like this with absolutely no warning..... could they?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I dont think the current set of changes were intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I have memories of logging back into boards after their longggggg handover process to vanilla. It looked like this didn’t it?

you probably won’t know, heidi, that I’ve replied to your message as the notification thing is gone 😂

All we need now is everyone’s old PMs that they thought they’d deleted to magically appear once again.

😂 😂 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭Tow

Is this the effort of revert to vanilla Vanilla to fix all the bouncing issues?

Well I am sorry to tell you the bouncing is worse. It looks crap. The my discussions icon is missing on the mobile version.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It's gone very small and very bright for me 👨‍🦯🦮

And I can't see what threads are new.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Astartes

Can the site stop going down during liveline, please?

Whatever has been done hasn't stopped the sudden scrolling back upwards out of nowhere about 30 seconds into reading a thread 🙄

Ah, but I did get a notification!!

Had to scroll back up to the top and do three button presses to see it though, because the banner/header is no longer pinned (or whatever you call it when it stays at the top).

I am fascinated to know what's happened here - it's still office hours here, it's still office hours in Canada (I think), will anyone come on to engage i wonder? - any explanation @Boards.ie: Mike ??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

And just like that it's back to "normal" again!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

And it's back to (ab)normal 😂

Ahhhhhhhh......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

it's like the site is being sabotaged from within 🤔... maybe there just isn't the money to pay for a modern platform with useful functionality (e.g. search within threads?! i know, I must curb my mad unrealistic expectations!)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

The site is no longer visible to non logged in users, the homepage has no threads listed and any attempt to view Categories brings you to the Sign In page. Is this change permanent? If so it is hardly conducive to getting new users aboard.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

It was broke, though.

So really, if it is broke

..make it worse?

Post edited by JayRoc on

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Oh god sounds like Twitter -> X all over again...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

A veritable shıtshow. 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Missed all the "fun" yesterday but not surprising.

As I said previously, the efforts to turn a completely unsuitable platform like Vanilla into something usable means that anytime Vanilla update or change the base platform those customisations are at risk of being lost or broken.

There's clearly no change management process in place either as even the office have been caught out by the disruptions this week. I really feel for Mike (and Niamh before him) who are sent out to explain this stuff afterwards.

Despite all the talk about how the vbulletin site was so modified as to be near unworkable and the costs involved, this ongoing farce must be costing the company more in downtime/disruption, broken functionality and the efforts needed to log issues , escalate them, and test fixes, the impact of the huge loss of users and mods and the impact that's had on the content creation and day to day administration, the loss of advertising revenue from the above and pushing those who are left to use adblockers to make the site vaguely tolerable (following the mess in that area too) etc etc.

The one thing that remains constant though is the poor transparency and communication from HQ (Mike aside) and the unaccountability to those who generate that content and thus whatever revenue there is.

Honestly, I am probably only still here because of inertia and because there's no real replacement for what this site offers - even in it's cut down, massively limited form.

Reddit is no alternative and as we've seen with the recent 3rd party access issues there, just as prone to unpopular and self-defeating changes as well.

The other "site that we can't mention" (childish as that is) hasn't taken off but is at least stable and consistent with what users want from a forum and despite being a one man operation as far as I can tell.

I don't know why I'm even bothering to post in this thread except to express my frustration and disappointment that for years now Boards has been on the decline - not solely because of a shift in the Web usage patterns of its users, but just as much because it keeps shooting itself in the foot.

I still think that the best thing Odhran could do is to sell the site to someone who gets the USP and who can take advantage of it (not exploit it), hand it over to the community (the above one man show shows that you don't need flakey offshore vendors to run a forum), or just put it out of its misery because watching it slowly circle the drain like this is genuinely painful after being here and posting, enjoying and learning from others for the last 22 years.

Of course, I fully expect that we'll just wake up some day to find the site offline permanently, with maybe a 50/50 chance that we'll have been told more than a day in advance if at all.

I'm not even having a go at this stage. There's no point. It's certainly not Mike's fault and the other fella is so rarely here that he reminds me of Lieutenant Dyke from Band of Brothers (did a rewatch recently 😊) - randomly pops up, makes some vague or nonsensical statement and disappears off into the fog again.

All I'll say is that it's truly a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭con747

More outages today.

CONNECTION TIMED OUT

The initial connection between Cloudflare's network and the origin web server timed out. As a result, the web page can not be displayed.

• Ray ID: 7ef76daa081124ec
    • Your IP address:
    • Error reference number: 522
    • Cloudflare Location: London

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭con747

Getting this a couple of times tonight.

Maintenance

Please wait a few minutes and try again

Why am I seeing this?

We're hard at work making changes to our service and will be back soon. Please check back in a few minutes, or visit our Service Status for more information.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

I've noticed something a lot lately - the thread I've linked below is an example of it

When you type up a new post in a thread, and hit "submit", it shows twice - once at the very end of the thread (where it should be) and once at the end of the page you're actually on.

When you refresh the thread, only the post at the end of the thread shows.

Normally not a problem (I suspect most people don't even notice) but in short threads like the one below, where the new post was only the second post on the thread, posters see two posts, then go on to edit one of their posts as "duplicate post" - but in fact their post is now gone.

What is the purpose of the post appearing twice when it's originally submitted? Can that be disabled? seem to me to be a glitch that serves no purpose whatsoever.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058291114/marriage-proposal-advice

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement