Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Also, is there anything being done about the page suddenly scrolling up 15-30 seconds into reading a thread on mobile?

Has been reported numerous times but I've never seen it acknowledged.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

Hey there HeidiHeidi,

This is a glitch that Vanilla is aware of. I have flagged it with them before. I can only hope that in there next update release it will be resolved. Thank you for highlighting it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I actually like seeing the post at the point you were at. I know it will slot into its correct place on the next page. In a fast moving thread, if you start typing at 10.00am and send at 10.01, you get to see all the other posts within that time rather than having to scroll back.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Yesterday I got an email notification of a new post and when I click on the link it takes me to a post back in 2020. Very strange.

Fair enough, but I've seen at least 4 threads (short ones) in the past few days where the only post left is "duplicate post" and the poster obviously doesn't realise what's happened

• Advertisement

Ah I get ya. I’ve only ever noticed it on faster threads.

If there's only a couple of posts in a thread, your new post will show up as two separate ones, one underneath the other, until you refresh the thread - so it does look like a duplicate post has snuck in - leading to posters editing one of them (in the absence of being able to delete it) - but in fact they're editing the only one so it becomes meaningless - as per the example I posted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

A new post always shows on the current page you're on when you post it, but as you read on it shows in the correct place.

It was flagged before so I knew it didn't post twice. It's annoying for posters who aren't aware though and edit their post accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I prefer seeing it on the page I post. actually think it is one of the better things that happened in the changeover. With the old Boards I would have to go back a page or two to catch up as it used to bring me to the end of the thread.

Look at the thread I linked to above, and you'll see the problem.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I see what you mean (sort of).

I've never had a double on the same page though.

Should this post not show twice so?

@HeidiHeidi Are there any particular threads that this consistently happens in? The fact that the refresh removes the duplication is making it hard to see a pattern.

I have a feeling its only when you post on the first page of a thread, maybe? That's when both posts show one underneath the other, so posters are inclined to edit one (as per the example I linked)

If you open a thread at your last read post, but that's not the last page of the thread (so the busier threads that others have referred to) - and if you post from that page (ie not the last page of the whole thread) - then your post will appear at the bottom of that page, as well as at the end of the whole thread - but then when you refresh the thread, the one at the end of the earlier page disappears.

I hope that makes sense, it's very hard to describe!

If I can grab a screenshot example I'll post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

One forum that it deffo happens in is the DIY - It seems to happen in every thread there

Thank you both. It makes sense reading it from here. I'm just trying to narrow it down for the guys at Vanilla. HeidiHeidi if you do happen to get any screenshots that would be great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭con747

Happening again this morning a few times.

Maintenance

Please wait a few minutes and try again

Why am I seeing this?

We're hard at work making changes to our service and will be back soon. Please check back in a few minutes, or visit our Service Status for more information.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

OK, here's an example from this morning - again, it's a new thread, I was only the second person to reply - you can see that after I've posted, the posts are in the order 1-3-2-3. When you look in the thread now, they're correctly 1-2-3.

As others have pointed out, this might serve some purpose in long, fast-moving threads - but in short ones like this one, posters who don't realise what's happening just edit one of the "duplicate" posts, thereby effectively deleting their post.

(apologies for the quality of the pics, my laptop decided it wouldn't take screenshots for some reason so I had to take photos of the screen.)

Thanks HeidiHeidi,

I have forwarded this to Vanilla as additional info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

Can we stop the whole page refreshing each time you go ‘back’ on mobile? Does this not drive anyone else mad?

Such a terrible user experience.

It stopped doing the refresh thing on mobile for me a while ago (I use Chrome on Android)

But it still does it on laptop and tablet, and they're waaaay slower than my phone anyway so yes, drives me nuts on those (particularly the tablet) - if it could be disabled on the desktop site it would be much appreciated!

And for about the 150th time, the page still shoots upwards randomly while reading a thread on mobile - has this been noted, and is anything being done about it?

I'm far from the only one to have reported it, repeatedly.

• Advertisement

Does refreshing and scrolling issues have anything to do with the type of advertisement they’ve signed up to use on the site?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Has anything ever come of these issues being reported?

Like, ever?

It seems the same obvious issues are reported, someone here says "Yes, we've raised that with Vanilla" and nothing happens until the issue is reported again

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Over 2 years on the road now. Whatever has been done before now and it has been minimal will probably remain. I gave up on bringing matters to peoples attention cause you get no thanks for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Are we still on "Version 1.0 :) "?

There’s a grey band scrolling down the page as I scroll though a thread. I had a notification for a thread pop up in the exact same place as this grey band too (it was gone before I could screenshot it). The notification pop up is usually at the bottom of the screen. Also, the top banner is now disappearing when I scroll. It was a fixed banner before.

1st screenshot the band is hiding the username. 2nd one it’s moved down the page a bit and hiding text. 3rd shows where the blue banner usually is even when you scroll

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could that be your browser at all? Or, have you a word or a link selected that you haven't noticed?

It’s sorted itself now. I’ve had it happen on occasion plenty of times before but I’ve never looked into if it’s an issue my end. I wouldn’t know where to look anyway 😂

That was happening to me last night as well but it's sorted itself now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Because Boards have no control over the site backend. They are a customer of Vanilla and completely at the mercy and whim of their product development, maintenance and support with what appears to be no SLAs, no control over the Change or development cycle (hence why we've had multiple unscheduled and unannounced outages recently, suddenly broken functionality, and no timelines on when/if reported issues will be fixed), and no real account management to back it up.

This is why Mike can't do much more than essentially raise a ticket with them. Not his fault. That's down to the contract that was agreed/package that was bought - assuming that Vanilla even offer a higher standard in the first place.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement