Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if I switch to Mobile View (Chrome dev tools) and then back to PC view on the homepage I get this view.

Frankly this is better than the bodged together Full Site view but there doesn't seem to be any way to set it as a default - is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You can spoof it with a "user agent" extension.

I was just in the process of uploading my extension for boards.ie but now I'm wondering..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

The user CP in the old system was such a perfect convenience that bookmarks and my threads have not been able to replicate.

On one page I had direct links to my favourite forums but also a list of any threads I've interacted with that have been updated since I last interacted with them. If they've not been updated since I last looked at them then they dont show up. Do you know how much of a headache that clears being able to know at a glance that a thread has been updated. I pretty much worked exclusively through the user cp in the last version of boards. My bookmark for boards went straight to that page and it allowed me to do quick pop in and check for update visits. I'd really like to be able to get back to that ease of having one page with a clear this is what's been updated since you were last online list.

So is there a way to fudge the user cp back in the current system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

So my bookmarks is not really my forums as you can't seem to bookmark a forum, currently i have to now bookmark a pinned in each forum i was previously following to allow me get quick access to these forums, is there something I'm missing here?

Also e mail updates of forums i was subscribed to have stopped and i don't see anyway of setting them up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

It seems they have managed to freeze the forum navigation path to the top of the page (at least on the desktop site). A badly needed fix. Getting there, slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭archfi

I've just tested that on Chromium with a user agent extension on dekstop, picked Android KitKat (!) and I get that view above which is very nice.

WTF!

Navigation, links where they should mostly be, okay AH pager still unavailable.

That view is actually nice. the 'Best of' link is interesting...

the Soccer forum no longer looks like an explosion in a MASSIVELY BIG FONT factory

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I get a similar view on my iPhone by switching to horizontal mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Thanks, i would say 95% of my time spent on boards is on desktop site which puts me in the minority i am sure.

• Advertisement

What are the big yellow boxes of code type stuff marked Notice Debug that are appearing below the main page (mobile)? They seem to scroll on forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭mossie

Yeah, this is the first of the issues that have really been bugging me. Good to see progress at least.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The desktop site is looking very good to me now. The only things that are really bugging me are:

1. Clicking on the tabs My Threads, Mo Forums, etc, does not refresh the content, but rather just shows/hides the existing content.
    2. Clicking on Last Post of a thread brings to the latest unread (by me) post, not the actual last post.

Well done to all those behind the scenes putting in a lot of effort to please us picky Boardies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

@Boards.ie: Niamh Have you all not learned by now that nothing should be pushed live without properly testing it? Sticky breadcrumb has been added but it should not be on the homepage, if it has to be there, there should be a margin separating it from tabs (there was previously)

I can't get the 'Best of' to work on the mobile site. There's 3 options - promote, trending and like, but nothing happens when I click on them.

I tried the desktop site and I couldn't find it ...

If you embed a picture from your phone it's sideways.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Odhran
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi all

Some minor updates today with hopefully ‘my forums’ and mobile navigation resolved tomorrow. Both of these have been problematic but being worked on.

• Added new site wide message with a link to the How To guide to the site
    • Removed the "You are now leaving Boards" warning
    • Confirmation that threads do not have to close at 10k posts any more, they can now continue for as long as posters post in them.
    • Looking into the After Hours issue (only one page of content) - content migrated and we should be able to resolve.
    • Minor CSS fixes, including;
    • Darker font for thread titles on mobile
    • Darker font for user post content and quote content on desktop
    • Updated the hyperlink colour in posts on desktop to differentiate more from regular text
    • Increased size of hyperlinks within posts (author in quote header and regular links)

Made the navbar and breadcrumb section sticky so users should be able to navigate back to parent forum easier.

We will continue to iterate as we go. All feedback is being collated and we are splitting issues into groups that can be fixed locally or need a bigger update and done via PR

We will update on navigation and myforums tomorrow.

Thanks

Odhran

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

could we get an option to switch to the responsive site from the Desktop site (as discussed in the few posts above) without having to fart around with user agents? - it just seems less clunky and easier to navigate than the ersatz "old Boards' theme on the Desktop site.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

My avatar thingy in the top right corner has put on some vanishing cream and disappeared..Oh well.

• Advertisement

What’s a user agent?

By the looks of that it should have been how the site looked from day one after the changeover. Is it a vanilla default and boards are theming it to look like the old site or is it a skin option?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭sporina

Is it possible to edit a quote? ie to remove pics etc or just remove parts of the post not relevant to the quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭archfi

It's a card view of what must be latest/most liked/every posts - when scrolling down it further populates and cards move sideways/up/down...

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Thanks @archfi, that's a handy way to introduce people to new forums and topics. If it worked for everyone!

As always, these updates are really appreciated. Love seeing stuff I'm flagging getting sorted 👍️

P.S. Dark mode pls, I'm browsing like this 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭mike2084

@Boards.ie: Niamh Is anything being done about restoring subscriber features? I've still got ads since the update and all the subscriber forums are gone. Just paid my €13 for these three months and I'm not sure what for anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Hey @Boards.ie: Niamh another thing I've just discovered is that PI/RI posts are showing on profiles now where they never did. Is this deliberate?

And on the homepage too, maybe they can't be hidden on the new platform. They've said that anonymous posting isn't possible now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

@Boards.ie: Odhran Really leveraging the revenue stream there, boss.

This poster, like so many others has been supporting the site, purely for goodwill, in spite of the fact that they got feck all for it, and now they have realised they're actually getting less than feck all for it.

This is truly a rudderless enterprise. Dev is gone, Cloud is gone. This is it, ladies and gents.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement