Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Come on guys, did ye actually test the usability of this platform before ye agreed on it and migrated to it? It's just so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

On Desktop:

My gripe about not being able to see the pilcrow icon to the left of comment box seems to have been fixed.

Edit:

I spoke too soon, it's only working in this thread, it not visible in any of the other forums or threads due to the lack of space to the left of the comment box. :(

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,814 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

how do you delete posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,157 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Ads are switched off for anyone in the Subscriber usergroup at the moment so that is a mistake. I'll raise this with the team. Will also look into Subscriber forums, they should be accessible once you have been granted access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Dear lord, you have actually made the homepage on mobile worse? This is insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭shanec1928

is anything actually tested before its pushed live or is it all just a hope and a pray.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Is deleting own attachments possible?

And why it is not?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭db

I thought we might have some sort of category tree in place but if you navigate to a category using these filters it doesn't change the posts that you see. Neither can you navigate to the previous level using the back button. It's actually quite funny how bad it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

The gaps between posts is annoying. Here, I saw there was a new post in the thread so I clicked on it and it brought me to a position like this - with a small gap above the post. I wanted to see the context, and with the gap (and no obvious post above it) I clicked back into the next page only to be confused because there was actually a post (with context) above it.

SO much space added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

A hyperlink is a piece of text that has been embedded with a link, so when you click on it, it takes you to another page on the internet.

CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets: its the code that styles the whole of the internet so it is presented in a readable fashion.

Breadcrumbs are fairly self explanatory: think Hansel and Gretel, the steps you take to get to a page. i.e. the clicking on all the hyperlinks to get to this thread

A quick google of all these terms would give any amount of understanding you are willing to consume.

You can @ to mention someone, ie @thesandeman and either use straight up "" or a right arrow '>' without the quotes and it will turn the text into what you see in the hyperlinked breadcrumbs above and text below, you can still highlight the original post and copy&paste that to the quote box.

quoted text

Post edited by iLikeWaffles on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I can't find anything I want on boards. Mobile site.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭GBX

@Boards.ie: Niamh Not sure if its been asked - on the old site if a thread had a post on it it was marked as last post "today @ 11.45 " - Can this be added back? Some sort of formatting in CSS/JS possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Neowise

search by author forgets its search by author after 1 page of results. On page two its just a standard search, it ignore the author box.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Have some forums from Social & Fun gone missing or been moved around? Noticed the layup on the categories page is slightly different today from previous. Or am I just seeing a format change from page styling

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Is the header bar supposed to float on every page with desktop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭mossie

So after more than a week there are still a huge number of issues with the site including a few that should be relatively simple to fix such as the broken links at the bottom of the page and most of the main issues remain unsolved.

1. Desktop navigation is still difficult - improved by the persistent top bar / breadcrumbs but:
    2. Still no "My Forums"
    3. No dropdown menus for navigation (desktop).
    4. No bold / plain differentiation for unread / read threads.
    5. Site still as slow AF for me.
    6. Mobile navigation is a pain.

The biggest issue now is the huge drop in posts on most of the forums I follow and I worry it may be too late to get these back to pre "upgrade" levels.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Odhran
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi all

Not a huge amount to update today. We still need to get navigation sorted for easier access to Talkto, Topics, Regional etc. I will give you an ETA on that tomorrow but it should be by end of week.

Some small css tweaks and working our way through our Jira board/issues. More to follow.

Thanks

Odhran

Boards.ie Employee

Not sure what you mean here - could you take a screenshot? Thanks

Boards.ie Employee

There was a format change but it needs to be put into navigation. Working on that at the moment....

• Advertisement
    Boards.ie Employee

Boards.ie Employee

We know.. working on it @jobeenfitz . Navigation on mobile is really bad... its P1 for us to get sorted.

Boards.ie Employee

Yes - white space seems to have been on special offer.... we have a list of places where its a problem and are working our. way through. If you see any please flag them here. Thanks a mil 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 29,157 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Any prospect of the glacial speed of page loading being addressed?

You said a number of times post-migration that it shouldn't be an issue, and you were looking at it - but it is an issue, a big one, especially on desktop, as pointed out by numerous posters, and it hasn't improved.

Boards.ie Employee

Yep - navigation is very poor. We'd hoped the categories would have migrated over as before but need to do more work here. Not funny since we know how frustrating it is. ... but being worked on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Perhaps it's time to get in a couple of temporary developers to address all the ideas?

A part time skeleton staff can only do so much and it's just dragging on indefinitely.

Boards.ie Employee

It shouldn't be @HeidiHeidi - this was one of the main reasons to get onto a fully hosted platform. We have flagged this and it has been escalated. One solution is for us to change how we categorise forums into 'sub communities'. We have to discuss this further as it would appear to be a lot of work. In the meantime we are looking at all possible solutions. I will revert tomorrow on this.

Boards.ie Employee

We have and they are working with us. There are a lot elements...

One lesson is we can't spin things as quickly as we could in the past. We have to plan better and manage our releases. We are making good progress... just not good enough to stem the tide. A couple of major issues should be resolved this week that will help a lot around discoverability etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

@Boards.ie: Odhran

Can you log the issue with the lack of space to the left of the comment box on all forums except this which is not allowing the pilcrow icon to be seen on Desktop?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
    Boards.ie Employee

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement