Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Where did this Odhran bollox come out of? Only on the site a few months and he has destroyed it. Can they not get rid of the dope and revert back to the old format. I haven't used the site since as it's impossible to navigate.

I can only assume the person talking about it being a personal attack isn't Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Reporting a rule breaking post was never "Backseat modding"

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I hate the little box that pops up when you eventually get to the my bookmarks button.

If they had my bookmarks and my forums at the top of the homepage I’d deal with everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Yeah the way boards has always covered up for some of its poorer moderators.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

When you go to view and then following on the homepage it comes up blank, what is this following section? Is it discussions ive started?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,877 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's forums you follow if you've selected them since the migration.

Go back to All, click on the parent heading, e.g. Talk to Boards, then click the cog beside the forum you want to follow, e.g. Feedback and select follow.

Do that for all forums, go back to the homepage and then Followed will show them all.

I know, clear as mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I tried to flag it, and got as a popup at the bottom

The Comment was already approved by Mickeroo on July 31, 2021 3:09PM.

So make of that as you will.

Thanks for this pal, will give it a shot.

I badly miss the old boards. Not a big poster but I was always lurking about. Post count has dropped off massively since the change. I know it had to be done but it’s an enormous c*ck up, no two ways about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭mossie

• Registered Users Posts: 16,877 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Yep, only on mobile. I don't think there's a desktop site equivalent. The 2 versions are like chalk and cheese.

This feels very much like the kind of confusion I experience on Reddit. I still find I don't know where I'm posting or where things are going here anymore.

On mobile site, why do I have to click on the avatar to get the book marks and notifications? Just leave it showing altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭mossie

The top bar needs to be permanently visible when you scroll down too

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

How do I unfollow a thread that I have previously commented in and am getting notifications for each new comment? Can't see the option to unfollow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭con747

You need to click on the bookmark top right just above the page number on desktop to follow or unfollow. The notifications I'm not sure about.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So I've been using this away on the mobile and funnily enough, I liked it better before the styles were changed! But really so far this is what i I a tad confusing..

- Notification Panel should be permanent. Didn't even know I had any until I read here to click it. Do we not get emailed notifications anymore?

- Missing auto subscribing when I post somewhere. Easier to follow what I post in when we had an easier way of tracking it. Now I have to manually add a topic to my watch list.

- Hard to see what's new vs old posts when looking at the latest discussions on the index page for the mobile and on forums.

- Index page with a list of posts.. sometimes I get check boxes beside the title. Sometimes I don't.

-Really miss not having the time the latest post was made in a thread from index view on the main page of the site and on the fourm view. I go to some forums on mobile and have zero clue if the thread is old or not.

- Likewise, thread view isn't clear in distinguishing Stickies (Announcements I guess?) vs regular topics.

- Some topics seem to be a flow of posts and some the first post is separated from the rest. I actually think I prefer the latter!

- Some older data like images appears not to have transfered from the old site.

To be fair, it's a massive change. I do like a lot and it can definitely get better. I'm just very surprised at the base platform seeming so poor vs other platforms. Its like Boards have bought a beginner forum platform and are developing it themselves instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Its like Boards have bought a beginner forum platform and are developing it themselves instead.

It's very much how it seems - I cannot for the life of me fathom why Boards went with a system that you only have to look at other sites using it to know it's really basic at its core level. Maybe they just bought in to the hyperbole that because it costs a fortune each month it must be good - whilst other very mature platform could have done what boards did and for no money

The navigation is still the biggest single issue for me. I could have got used to things being in different places or the extra clicks to get to something but there’s awful freezing and stalling and jumping when you switch pages or load threads. When you’re on ‘My Threads’, open a thread and then go back it hangs on ‘My Threads’ again for a couple of seconds and then jumps back to ‘Latest Posts’ for some reason. Same sort of thing happening in threads and I’ve given up on it actually taking me to my latest unread post in a thread. Absolutely terrible user experience.

• Advertisement

The drop down menu when I click my avatar isn’t working on iPhone with safari. Well it works some times, on certain pages.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

• Its like Boards have bought a beginner forum platform and are developing it themselves instead.

Old Boards: Not reliable and too expensive to run because it's patched to feck. Fair amount of posts and posters. Not long for this earth because of costs.

New Boards: Paid for base system not fit for purpose, patched to feck to make it usuable. Not long for this earth because the community and how they navigated for decades is broken.

• It's very much how it seems - I cannot for the life of me fathom why Boards went with a system that you only have to look at other sites using it to know it's really basic at its core level. Maybe they just bought in to the hyperbole that because it costs a fortune each month it must be good - whilst other very mature platform could have done what boards did and for no money

I'm still scratching my head on that one myself. This Vanilla crowd clearly couldn't provide as advertised. An internet platform company that's a timezone behind that started an extremely complex changeover on a Thursday and then promptly buggerd off for the weekend when it went tits up. An internet platform company that doesn't work weekends? Never mind for a new client. You couldn't make that stuff up. You can be sure the Boards dev Mark worked that weekend and since. I really feel for him.

Archive all old and dead forums and posts going back years and leave searchable. This would leave whatever forum software only handling the "live" stuff, but would keep the basic muscle and mind memory navigation intact. People will bitch and moan over small changes, but will keep using the site if they can still use the site as before, people will walk away if they can't use the site. And they have.

You can't please everyone with changes, but if it becomes clear you've pleased almost no one and they're voting with their clicks or lack thereof, that's Game Over for those changes. Thing is I can't see a way out. Roll back is impossible, roll forward and fix the site on an unsuitable platform is ongoing, while the site is bleeding posters and posts.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Why wasn't there a bit of a user survey carried out pre migration to draw up a list of user requirements? Try to draw up a clear priority ordered list of desired/most used user features of vbulletin. And ensure that those top 5 or 10 features/functions are deliverable/achievable using a new platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Into the third week now, and far and away for me the biggest issue is still how feckin slow the site is. I've been coming back regularly via the My Bookmarks thread to see what's happening (SFA), but if I was a new user, I would bother hanging around. Hit a new record yesterday when I was able to go to "New Posts" on Gubu, check the notifications on seven threads, post two replies and open up the Guardian website to read the headlines, all in the time it took for boards.ie to finish loading.

And the what others are calling the "jelly pages" - though I think I might have been one of the first to describe it happening - is really off-putting. For a change that was supposed to improve the site's performance, it's incomprehensible that the new back end can't even manage to apply CSS rules to a page faster than the eye can detect. Similarly for all the hacks and workarounds - why? Every other forum software that I know of comes with the basic functionality and user-defined preferences as standard - the ones that members here have been pleading for since the re-launch; and with "nice-to-have" features as readily available add-ons.

I just don't get it. From a commercial, technological or community point of view, nothing about this move makes sense, and the sporadic progress reports might as well be talking about a completely different site for all that it's improving this user's experience. :(

Anyway: speed. @Boards.ie: Odhran @Boards.ie: Mark @Boards.ie: Niamh If ye do nothing else this week, would ye get Vanilla to fix the speed issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,155 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Agree with the speed issues, I'm still having huge delays on both sites for pages to load. Despite numerous promises that it was in hand and would be fixed soon.

Another problem I've just run into - i was trying to report a post on the Touch site on the phone - but when I click into the dialogue box to type the report, it's hidden behind another box and the keyboard, so I'm typing blind - I have to knock off the keyboard to check my typing and then if there's mistakes, try to correct them blind also. Very difficult.

And while I've been typing this, the poxy "draft saved at" box keeps popping up and blocking what I'm typing 🙄😡

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I raised that issue with the report post box back in week 1, don't hold your breath that it will be sorted. In the meantime if you unanchor your keyboard and use "floating" you can move it so you can see the box but it's a PITA

How would one go about unanchoring a keyboard???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I use Gboard so floating is an option, not sure how others work.

Is there anybody actually modding After Hours these days??

Threads in there being destroyed by spammers posting the same shite for days on end, but I feel like I'm reporting into a void....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I got a notification of a reported post from the motoring forum, so God knows where AH reported posts are going.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement