Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭gifted

Site is awful....like something a teenager would put together....logged in less than a handful of times since the changeover......logging out now and won't be back for a while...

Meant to add that I did leave a comment on the zapppone saga but I can't find my post

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Just a small question - when I hover over usernames (on desktop), some posters have a drop down menu (view profile / send PM) and others don't. I don't think it's a private profile thing because I can see this menu for posters who have private profiles. OK it seems it was just a refresh issue. The posters had just switched to private.

The 2nd question is, how can I get that menu to stay so I can click on one of the 2 options. It disappears the moment I move my mouse

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I don't think you can get the menu to stay visible once you move the mouse - it's a bug. You would need to click the username itself to view their profile or send a PM (if they are not set to private ofc 🙂). One of the helpful chaps over in the DIY thread posted some useful code to hide the drop down menu altogether which is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭28064212

First question: it's actually not a private profile thing, it's just another stupid bug - if a user has more than one post on a page, the dropdown menu always appears under their first post, regardless of which post you hover over. For example, on this thread, previous page (p81), the poster mossie has 4 posts. Hover over the first one on the page, the drop-down menu appears. Hover over the 2nd-4th it doesn't (actually it does, it appears on the first post again, you just can't see it). To be fair, I can see how such a bug could slip through a testing process, it's a tricky one to catch.

The second question, on the other hand, is just another nail in the coffin of boards.ie. You can't. It just shows up the ridiculous lack of testing that was performed prior to the live migration. Any regular user of boards could have, given ten minutes on a beta site, captured a huge amount of the screamingly obvious bugs, missing features, and usage-breaking changes. Users like @[Deleted User] or @fritzelly who have contributed technical addons to the site, long-term moderators like @Wibbs or @Shield, or a huge number of "power users" were an enormous resource that could have been tapped prior to the migration.

Looking at the result, I honestly don't believe that anyone who actually used boards.ie on a daily basis had any meaningful input into the migration project.

And Odhran's statement about the financial non-viability of the previous incarnation rings hollow. If it's true, that means one of two things: (1) the site, running as-is, has been financially non-viable for a long time or (2) costs suddenly shot up. If the answer is (1), why the rush? Or why wasn't the migration started 12 months ago? A financially non-viable site with a huge user-base has been turned into a financially non-viable site with a rapidly dwindling user-base, in which case whoever made the decision to proceed with the migration has pulled off a "Yahoo failing to buy Google in 2002"-level move. If (2), why has that information not been shared with the userbase? If Digiweb (for example) suddenly said "we have to increase your hosting costs twenty-fold", why was that not used as justification for the sudden migration? If that was the case, the userbase would likely have had a huge level of empathy and acceptance of the situation, and be much more willing to wait it out.

As I've said before, boards.ie was effectively done as a relevant platform the day the decision was made to push ahead with the migration. Everything since then is just rearranging deck-shairs on the Titanic.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Can anyone tell me please where the soccer tickets and travel sub forum is hiding or has it been removed completely from the new site ?

it used to be part of the soccer forum on the old site.

I have searched high and low and can’t find it anywhere on this new site .

Thanks , not even sure if I should be asking this on this thread !

t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

They're probably under Groups if they're accessible by request only, but your access might have gotten lost in transit.

Try here:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Thanks , I have access to the soccer group but can’t find the old sub forum which used to be there for dealing with tickets and travel to games.

I’m baffled where it is hiding now or gone completely, I’ll post in the soccer group too , maybe somebody there might clear it up .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I can't find it either, it doesn't appear to be under groups. It looks like it's just gone.

It's possible all the threads got amalgamated into the main soccer "group" in the migration. I will ask in the office in the admins forum tomorrow to see if anyone can figure out where its gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

It's getting better with time, with Boards tweaking the platform and people getting used to it. I think it will get back to normal quickly enough. We just have to hang in there.

The only thing bothering me at the moment is that under "My Threads", the threads aren't all listed chronologically and the topics with no updates look as if I haven't read them yet. I'd love to see that fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭shanec1928

It’s not an issue its a breach. Try to cover it up all ye want to by renaming thread titles etc. Must have eaten well into the mandatory 72 hours to report this to the dpc if not gone over it at this stage. What ever about all the crap not testing anything and the sham migration. Information security and data protection seem to be an after thought which is and extreme worry especially when so many people had pii in pms etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭GBX

This should be an announcement on the home page. Not buried in this 80+ page thread where the majority of people won't see.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Stands to reason if it's correct that Vanilla allows far fewer sections than the previous host.

How do I find my previous posts using Chrome on Android?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I've done a bit of software development in the past so it most likely works something like this...

Boards have probably forked (taken a copy of) Vanilla's code and made changes to it. In order for those changes to be implemented on Vanilla's system, they need to submit a pull request to Vanilla so they can review and implement them in their code. If there's any issues, Vanilla may come back to say "you need to fix x before we can pull the changes in".

The TL;DR is "can you implement these changes for me?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Hahaha 😂

The exact same carry on as a few years ago. Unbelievable!

Changing titles, deleting posts. Christ.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I cannot access Categories at all. Forums gives a list of categories but no sub headings and no link to Talk To (therefore no link to Mod forum for me). I can access Groups but that is all.

That link that Mickeroo gave and which was corrected gives me access denied whichever one I click.

I'm on laptop/Chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

I have not read the full thread but as a Boards.ie user for 20+ years I wanted to give my thoughts on the new Boards.ie:

• Performance/speed of the site is too slow.
    • Too difficult to navigate. Total mess getting around the site.
    • Can't get a list of all forums subscribed to.
    • Can't find a way to subscribe to a thread.
    • Lack of text enhancement features when posting.
    • Notifications are a mess.
    • Email notifications don't seem to work.
    • Quoting part of postings does not seem to work.
    • Postings and interactions seem to be well down.

Overall:

• Very sad to see such a downgrade of the site.
    • Very frustrating trying to use this site.
    • I think a big bold decision is needed by Boards.ie management. Go back to the old version OR start again. For example, Xenforo is many times better than vbulletin. Using bog standard Xenforo with little customisation would surely be a more cost effective solution and better solution for a company that seems to have profitability issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Surely then though people will want to see some actual progress?

They have somehow managed to make the navigation worse in the 3+ weeks since the big launch.

A few days ago you could use Categories then CTRL+F to find whatever forum you want. This no longer works. I have no idea how to find a forum now and the only forums I can visit are the ones with posts on the home page, so mainly complaining about either the site or covid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I just can't get over the sheer drop off in posts on Boards. I used to go away for lunch and come back to a dozen threads with new posts. Today, I come back to just one.

It's really a big shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,555 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Said it before, but every time I see it, I think of it again;

Can we put the Facebook Like function in the bin and get back to the 'Thanks' function and display of previous edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Working on it, ETA early 2022 I think. The code is being written then will be posted over to Canada to put it in on the typewriter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I use a Xenforo forum a lot and it’s streets ahead of this. Not even in the same league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Tork

@Mickeroo I just wanted to thank you for showing some initiative and starting a new thread with updates.

Leaving aside the obvious mess that this migration has become, I'm shocked at how piss poor the communication from the top brass has been. Posting burying updates in random threads is NOT the way to communicate with boards users. Do they really think that all boards users will happen upon these important posts? Going by many of the posts I've seen here from boards users, they haven't seen these posts. They should all be easily seen and all gathered in the one place. This isn't the first time I have asked for them to put them into a sticky or a separate thread so that everybody can see them and understand better what is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I know that it has been made a sticky on this forum but the thread with updates should be a site-wide sticky. Assuming that is possible with this borked software.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement