Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2021 Round 10 : Silverstone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭klose

I think the 3 days you mention are ultimately F1s plans, have an "event" each day and boost ticket sales for Friday (which I assume are the lowest gates of the 3 days)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's more about boosting TV sales value through increased viewership and ad revenue.

Ticket sales are only for the tracks. TV sales are for Liberty Media.

But you're right that it's about making it a 3 day show. As it stands the friday is only watched by the hard-core fans and its on during the work day. Quali is on after work day so it's worth watching. It will increase the count of eyeballs watching f1 over the course of a weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭Trampas

Whats the point of fp2 today. Not like they’ll be changing the car set up. Seems pretty pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭thefa

Data gathering on tyres and more for the race tomorrow I’d imagine.

Only allowed drive on one set. Could be a bore feast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I like that I get to see qualifying, sprint race and the full race live normally I only get to see the race live

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I wonder how much of an impact it has on team preparations. They would have had everything scheduled in a set order over a weekend so everything goes smooth.

If you had a car issue in FP1 or FP2 you had 24 hours to sort it without much impact, you just miss another practice session. Now if you have an issue in FP1 you could miss getting a grid position in quali which screws you getting a good grid position for the sprint, which doesn't bode well for the grid for the race.

Yeah that's ideal. The races we had recently where the teams had less free practice (imola and Germany when it was rained off) have provided less predictable races. Less predictable races is viewed as a great thing except this specific instance when trying to sh1t on the sprint race before it happens. Need to sh1t on it early in case it's actually good.

Just give it a few years until its a tradition and the same people who oppose it's introduction will oppose its removal for exactly the same reason - they don't like change.

F1 fans have no problem with boring procession races as long as its a traditional procession, Monaco anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Interesting to hear Landos interview post quali. He seems very reserved for the sprint race today. More hoping to defend his position than attack to improve. I wonder if most drivers will share this mentality especially considering no points on offer for most. I'm guessing max will dive down the inside regardless so still should be a fascinating race today.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Glamping has got to be one of the cringiest words ever invented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I disagree with that assessment. I have no problem with change but I just think quali on a Friday is wrong and it's all very dragged out plus it really does not suit me.

I agree with what another poster said have FP1 then Quali then the Sprint race all in one day. I can see F1 having big problems with this the way it is this weekend at other tracks if there is a bad storm or heavy rain. What if they have say in Germany have lots of rain on the Friday or like America had the storm a few years ago will they move it all to the Saturday.

I hope it does not become a tradition but we will see how this weekend goes. Personally I think the Sprint race is going to be F1s equivalent to a football team that falls back to defend trying to defend there position and does not try to get any more goals after they have just scored. Remind anyone of a certain team?

I hope I am wrong about the Sprint race as it could be good or it could be terrible.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,694 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I totally missed the qualification yesterday, forgot about it and it is all change on boards here too.

There are not really many points on offer for the sprint today are there so not much of an incentive further down the field.

I presume the final positions dictate the full starting grid?

Will give it a watch to get my head around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

LeClerc had a little slip up at Brooklands Corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Verstappen was 7 tenths ahead in FP1 which started at half 2 but was slower in qualifying that started at 6 and Q3 ended at 7 so temperature differences would have played a part. We may learn more in the sprint race but it's still later in the afternoon than FP1 was

Cars just going around. Times miles of fp1 pace. Basically just a check nothing broken after quali

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I hate it. The new format is a mess. I missed qually yesterday, probably the first time as far back as I can remember. The whole weekend is now out the window, trapped indoors now, can't plan anything. Na.

I'm watching continuously since about 91 and really think this experiment should be buried like elimination qualifying as its a disaster. Liberty should stop thinking they know what fans need and just carry on as it is. F1 is not Indycar.

If they want more viewers, then take it out from behind a paywall, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Quali was yesterday? Wtf is going on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

Seems like you massively like to stereotype people to suit your own argument to be honest! I don't like the extra time commitment because I have two young children and given the number of races these days I already have trouble convincing the missus to give me the time. Not only that but Friday evening have a Scottish football match which will equally eat into my time. So for me it's just an extra commitment that I don't need regardless of whether it's good or not. I happen to think our qualifying setup is the best we've ever had, I remember well the days of 60 minute sessions where no one would come out until the last 15 minutes, so I'm not against change at all.

I'm probably part of the latter but I'm really looking forward to the sprint race with championship points up for grabs, not a lot of points but 2 or 3 points could make the difference in the driver standings in the latter stages of the championship. You'd imagine the drivers will be going for it, well I hope so anyway. Might even get a few surprises

Yeah it infuriated me when the Irish soccer team did that under trapitoni. But we'll have to see how it works out.

This is just the first of 3 trials of the sprint format. The teams might be very Conservative in the first one and change behaviour in the others, or vice versa.

I don't know what would happen if there's a rained off Friday. It doesn't sound like an insurmountable problem though. There have been rained off Saturdays in the past. Hadn't been a big problem, it just takes an unusual approach which sounds very scary to some f1 fans who naturally oppose doing anything differently from the past. Bit the good news is that we have precedent for a rained off Saturday so it wouldn't take a new approach.

• Advertisement

If they are rained off on a Friday, they could move qualifying to the fp2 slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

The "sprint race" idea is...ill advised, plain and simple - and exactly, who asked for something like this anyway? It's a concept that belongs to feeder series or touring championship.

There IS an extremely valid argument for not messing about with the fundamentals - qualifying, as it has been since the first F1 World Championship, is an integral part of the discipline. Yeah, the format has changed a bit over the years - from the double session Friday/Saturday to the silly experiments like the one lap shootouts, time additions and the elimination thing - to end with the passable Q1-Q2-Q3 "only the last 10 minutes count" format of today. Yet, the concept that the grid for the main event, an important part of the whole proceedings, was established by times set in qualifying is one of the CORNERSTONES of modern (as in, post-WWII) F1.

To make an easy comparison with other sports it's as if FIFA started screwing around with football regulations in a way that fundamentally changes the structure of a match or a tournament to "increase spectacle" - say, widening the distance between goalposts to have "interesting scorelines", removing goalkeepers, making goals scored from over 30 meters count double - or even better, removing the concept of offside to have more goals.

On top of that, there's the not insignificant issue of having something that "counts" on a Friday...people normally work on Fridays and most won't really be able to watch the "pre-sprint-race-qualifying" or whatever they want to call it. They did it at 6pm yesterday...I was able to watch only "thanks" to the pandemic and the fact I'm WFH, 'cause I'd normally still be in the office at that time - or, best case scenario, on the train home. People also usually have partners and families, which will not be too thrilled about planning around a three-day spanning time commitment. Between nagging wife/husband/children and F1, for the vast majority F1 will lose out and the thought will be "to heck with it".

And I haven't even touched the subject of "What happens if a driver wins the WDC by points earned in the 'qualifying' races" scenario.

Again, the goal here is completely unclear: what are they trying to achieve? "Capturing" a wider audience? This won't work at all, and neither will any idiotic/artificial way to create spectacle. That's not the issue - the issue is ACCESSIBILITY. Throw the damn pay TV deal in the toilette, make F1 free-to-air again in as many countries as possible. Heck, leverage Youtube with live races if necessary, but don't screw around with the basics, especially those who pretty much always worked, like qualifying.

I don't know if you remember the reaction to changing the old qusli format? Fans generally hated it. They said it was too complicated and was it woud never work. They kept it on in spite of fan opposition to the change and, is true f1 fan style, most fans forget ever opposing that change, and now just oppose the next change.

My agenda is to wait and see how it works out over the three trials. The anti change agenda is clear to see from all the posters who have already said they've made up their mind before the first event has even taken place.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

@H3llR4iser

Well said. I agree with all your points. If they want to do it like this they should just have 3 FP1 sessions on Friday the qualifying and Sprint race on a Saturday and the race on a Sunday as usual. That way no one loses out. Who really wants to watch Free practice anyway bar the hard core fans like us and I find it better just watching the highlights of free practice on YouTube. Todays FP2 session was the most pointless free practice session ever. What's the point for us as a fan to watch it the qualifying grid has been decided already? My answer is known. There is no point for us to watch it. I was only half watching it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

It feels like you aren't taking on board why people are against it, rather you are just painting every F1 fan as an inflexible grouch holding back the sport. There are some valid criticisms of the format here if you'll give the time to actually read them. I even said in my post that the format has the potential to be successful in terms of entertainment value, but for me and many other the time commitment has become too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Having the whole "Qualifying" thing on a Saturday would be a bit better; Also, "pole position" should be awarded out of the timed qualifying, not "victory" in the Mickey Mouse race - what's the sense in recording what is essentially a farce race win as "pole position"?

There are two additional issues I haven't touched, one is sporting, the other from the point of view of the spectators.

The sporting one is simple - over the years, we often had situations of drivers driving cars that aren't the fastest on track, being able to snatch pole position due to the specific way it is awarded - being blisteringly quick on the single lap. Most recently it's been the case of Leclerc, before that we had Montoya being able to rack up multiple poles in seasons where the Ferrari duo would almost lap everyone at every race and before that, the most eminent of them all - Ayrton Senna regularly sticking a Lotus on a pole position it didn't belong to. The "sprint race" simply denies that; If we had it back then, Senna would've been passed by the Williams and McLaren drivers within 10 laps, and Montoya would've trailed Schumacher an Barrichello by the end of lap 2, as it normally happened in the races. If anything, the "sprint race" removes unpredictability from the Sunday race as it will just set the cars/drivers in "racing order" - unless, that is, something happens in the guise of an accident - which, I have the feeling, is what the whole concept revolves around, hoping that Hamilton and Verstappen clash at turn 1 or something like that.

The spectators impact is something nobody spoke about - if you attend a race live, Friday is usually the "free for all" day, meaning...you can wander around any grandstand, any area of the track, take in the views from any spot, maybe decide if your current seat is really the best and scout out a spot for the next time you go. During the sessions that "count", you need to be in your assigned seat...I can completely imagine the organizers applying the same logic to the Friday qualifying to avoid complaints - afterall, if qualifying is going on and the central grandstand, for which I have a ticket for, is entirely taken by people having paid for GA only, I might get a BIT annoyed...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Only saw the highlights of the qualy yesterday for the sprint race later. It was grand but qualifying on a Friday is weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

aha

The only feeling as strong as F1 fans not wanting change is your feeling that they don't want change.

It's a pity some features of the site haven't carried over but good to see I didn't miss anything in the last 3 months I guess.🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Hijpo

When you think about it, the design changes to allow cars follow closer facilitates the sprint race format.

I don't think this is a "trial" for a short sighted idea going forward.

Advertisement