Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2021 Round 10 : Silverstone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I thought it was alright. It will probably prove to be the most eventful stint of the weekend between the sprint race and the actual race. Removing the possibility of pitstops makes it very different from the actual race.

As said above, fp2 is pointless. I'd be fine with having a single longer FP on Friday and scrap Saturday practice if cars can't be changed anyway.

Well have to see how the other 2 trials work out. Wonder if they'll make some tweaks to the format for the next trials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

I feel like it’s taken some shine off tomorrow. I would have preferred to seen that overtake from Max on a Sunday. As it is now some of the mystique of the race has gone. It’s clear that Red Bull have edged it on race pace. It feels to me like a bit of a race extension, except we now have a wee break before the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ricimaki

It was nice watching Qualifying on a Friday evening, and a short race on a Saturday. Alonso showed its at least worth trying a risky strategy, and I'm sure the sponsors and broadcasters loved it.

FP2 is a tricky one. The teams generally use the times between practice sessions to change things, and then test them out in the sessions themselves. A possible solution is to apply park ferme rules before the sprint race rather than before qualifying, but then smaller budget teams will struggle even more as the bigger teams will just run 2 different setups. The could move the sprint race to a Friday, awarding points for the top finishers, and then qualifying as normal on the Saturday, but then it may as well go reverse grid to make it worthwhile.

I like that they're trying something new. At least if the same track is up 2 weeks in a row, they can use the sprint race to mix it up a bit. I wouldn't like to see it at tracks where its impossible to overtake, though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i think it should be a bit longer say 22 laps but have a pit stop and only use soft and ultra soft tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

I enjoyed it, Alonso in the opening lap was unreal.

Max did what he's been doing all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The tracks where it's impossible to overtake should be binned. The fact that there are tracks where they can't overtake, is your problem. Monaco should be gone (or at least not have championship points). Sprint races are useless around a track like that for exactly the same reasons that a full race is useless around that track - because they can't overtake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Pointless exercise, lap 1 between Hamilton and Verstappen. Alonso racing well after getting the start right. Besides that doesn't add anything. And was a procession except Sainz and Perez climbing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Make it shorter, not longer. Whatever tyres you start on, you cannot start on in the full race.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Yeah, there's nothing bar an improved starting spot, or an extra point if you're in a RB/Merc, to incentivise overtaking. I prefer if they brought back the old 10-6-4-3-2-1 system for 100km sprints, as well as a BTCC-style random grid reversal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I find the instinctive outrage incredibly frustrating. I see it as mirroring the same impulse in politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

Penalty for Russell (3 place grid). didn't think much of the incident watching live. Vettel's in car footage later showed Russell did leave plenty of space but locked up and it pushed him out in Sainz when he lost control . He got a point on his license as well.

No penalties for Perez and Sainz for dangerous re entry to the track just warnings .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I am a fan of a sprint race but just not in its current format.

Qualifying should be Saturday and for the race Sunday. Pole position from qualy should mean something.

I would actually like to see the sprint race be on Friday after practice 1. Have it as a reverse grid from the race the previous weekend with points for the top 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

I'd need to see another sprint race before I could fully judge the idea. Ideally I'd like to see one with longer drs zones to see if that would make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

Not sure it was cleared up , but McLaren ,Alfa. And Aston all have or had a clutch risk , milage limited normally they would change after the Friday FP seasons but they are not a part your allowed change for this weekend as parc ferme started after FP1 . They have now done a 100Km race , a FP session a qualifing session and a full race to come. I think the max is 400km on them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I disagree. I say have 3 free practice sessions on Friday then on Saturday have the sprint race then Qualifying and the race on Sunday.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

For me the most exciting part of most F1 races is the opening lap. The rest of the race is frequently uneventful / boring. This format means two opening laps in one weekend so twice the excitement.

It also has the advantage that all passes have to be on the track as there are no pitstops.

Ms

Actually they have done two free practice sessions one which was totally pointless. It could indeed mean we will have some retirements today.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That Top Gun Chase sequence around Silverstone on Channel 4 is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Damn missed it, just tuned in. DC in a shirt and tie buttoned all the way up. He looks like a salesman

What did you think of that sequence with Steve & Max.

I got a great laugh out of the text messages. They were so funny.

• Advertisement
    Ms

I was just thinking it has to be Steve Jones doing this watching it and I was right. It was silly but good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Just catch it on the plus 1. Record it there even.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Lando has gone out of the pit lane first to prepare the car for the race on the Hamilton Straight.

It was silly but funny, not sure about this whole Tom Cruise love affair I'm watching now. It's the British Grand Prix not the promotional tour for Maverick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I just saw Michael Douglas. Falling Down is one of his best films. A great film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I thought the race was at 2, unfortunately having to sit through that Tom Cruise nonsense

Ms

I enjoyed it. Its good to have someone like him into Formula 1. It means fans of his might check out Formula 1 too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Same as myself, set my other tasks up around it - doh!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Sounds like the build up is a mix of the great and downright ridiculous.

Just tuned in now. Hopefully we get a good race with unpredictable tyre lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The tyres management will be crucial today because it’s roasting out there given that there was blistering on max and Lewis tyres after less than twenty laps.

• Advertisement

Harrison Ford is also at Silverstone today. My favourite films from him are Blade Runner & The Fugitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The last thing f1 needs is Tom's cult joining in

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

+1 on The Fugitive. Cracking film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Those 911's are beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Enough of the Tom Cruise crap! I'd rather watch Sky at this stage.

I'm wondering where the Tom Cruise stuff is coming from, got my answer. I'm on Sky.

Sky mentioned him briefly when he was on the grid but they didn’t mention after. Good call from sky.

The McClarens are in a great position, great to see RIC up with Lando for this start. There was also a nice piece on Sky of the both of them and Zak Brown racing around silverstone in McClaren sports cars.

• Advertisement

not many new sets of tyres from some of the drivers. Could be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

The tyre thing is mad - apparently Seb has no new tyres to use. This should be interesting

This could be a good race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Hopefully Perez will be good to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Am I right in saying that qualifying set what tyres they start on but not the order they are starting in...... Or are they all using new tyres

Everyone has free tyre choice for the start of the grand prix

• Advertisement

Between Ford and Cruise I'm going with Ford.

LIGHTS OUT & AWAY WE GO..............

This is fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Oh ****

Boom, Hamilton and Max hit, Max sent flying out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement