Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France - Stage 18 - Pau to Luz Ardiden.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Yawn. I'm more tired here on the couch than Podgacar looked at the end. But there are good vibes between the young contenders, maybe a bit too friendly? We need a bit more Carapaz - 'feck the lot of ye' - and a bit less stage managed, controlled stages. Maybe same result?

Week 1 was intense, exciting, somewhat controversial and good viewing. Ventoux, and the Cavendish story aside, the rest has been a tad boring, once again.

I even grew tired of the chaotic starts with UAE not doing much to control things most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

If you look at last years results and take the likes of Roglic out, Pogacar isn't necessarily light-years ahead of the same riders year-on-year. He had over 8 minutes on Uran, 6 on Mas last year and if Rigo didn't have his "jour sans" today, he'd probably be at a similar gap this year.

While Pogacar v2021 is stronger than v2020, he's also benefitted from the misfortune of key rivals, sloppy tactics and a general confusion in other teams. Ineos seemed to be vying with Movistar for the "WTF they at?" award - hard to believe it is the same structure that bossed the Giro. For me, best organised team of the tour isn't even a GC squad - it's been Quickstep and their work for Cav, not only on the sprint stages but managing him on the mountain stages too.

We saw it at the Giro and we're seeing it at the Tour - there seems to be some organisational dysfunction in several of the top teams where they don't give the appearance of having ever considered the need for a Plan B

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Pogacar has competed in 3 Grand Tours, winning 2 (barring disaster), and finishing 3rd in the other.

He's won 3 stages in each of these, and could well take a 4th in this TDF on Saturday - 10 stages in 3 GT's.

He was the first person to win the Yellow, Polka Dot and White Jerseys last year, and will do the same again in this one.

He also has a 1st and 3rd in LBL.

He's still only 22.

Unreal going.

TBF, there wasn't always a young rider competition. If it had existed in 1969, Merckx would have won all three. Plus the points jersey, the combination jersey and the overall combativity award.

In fact Merckx did win a white jersey in 1969 as it was the colour of the combination jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I think the young rider jersey in this day is an out dated relic of romantic french cycling when youngsters were brought to learn their "trade" and bow down to the older experienced rider's and stay in the pack. These young guys are coming in now at a very high level with no fear and the stamina to put it to the older experienced rider's

• Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Love Cavendish saying how much he hates the tourmalet. Mind I've only ever driven up it

Yeah since we've seen the likes of Bernal, Remco and Pog it's not the same status at all. Before that it would have been the likes of the Yates brothers up there looking for white and they are still only 28.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Time for a grey jersey for the more seasoned cyclists I think.

PS - new site is an absolute mess. WTF were they thinking going live??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Advertisement

Advertisement