Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

on sale at the moment for anyone that wants a more compact adapter while travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Got the order in ! Delighted might get it before I jet off at the end of the month.

Can't wait to get my hands on it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Jumped 6 mins today! Past the 5:30 mark. Just another 2 hours to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

You'd have to imagine production is going up big time this month. Fingers crossed the shortage of parts does not affect us that much.

Spoke too soon. Must have been a false report as it dropped from 5.31 back to 5.25.

• Advertisement

What's the odds on getting one before Christmas if ordered now (deposit) or is 2023 more likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It seems the fastest moving queue is for EU countries that are not Ireland who ordered the 64GB model; that one is up to 31:10 after orders opened last year, so the odds are like getting hit by a meteorite while on the toilet. Actually, maybe lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

what's the general consensus with yer experiences with the steam deck ? i'm in q3 que for one and just unsure will i go through with it because i'm barely getting play all the consoles i have at mo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

As a matter of interest when did you pre order it? I pre ordered it exactly a month after the pre order opened , I was q3 but got pushed out to after q3 with latest updates in Feb or March.

Haven't got the deck yet but I know from my experience with the switch and now cloud gaming it really suits those who like me couldn't find the time/ motivation to move to another room, boot up an console, update a game, then start playing only for 5 mins later one of the kids start acting up and I've to turn it off again.

I have the controller beside the couch. Just clip in the phone and away I go. I play much more that way that sitting in front of a screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

I've been enjoying mine. Played more pc games in the last month and. half than I did all last year so its mission accomplished in that sense. Never had much luck getting any laptop I ever owned playing nicely with my TV and external controllers so I've been having fun with it. Not sure I would recommend one as a primary device but as someone who's wanted a device like this for a long time and had tried earlier attempts by other companies (a gpd win 1 and a linux vision) it pretty much does what I want it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

I ordered mine 2hrs 30mins after the preorders opened thanks to steam servers sh*tting the bed. The UK queue has moved 17mins. This is painful😅

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

Didn't get a chance to post last night. The package arrived yesterday. 6 business days in total. Downloaded & set up Death Stranding, Sonic generations via Steam OS and then the Witcher 3 via Heroic Launcher from GOG.com played a couple hours off battery, a mix of the two former, and then the Witcher 3 while charging. Takes ages to download and install and bandwidth shouldn't be the problem.

More testing tonight 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mine arrived yesterday as well. First impressions are that it’s a big old handheld! The paddle buttons are a great addition as they feel more natural when gripping the console - made the top two the ‘boost’ button in Vanquish and they feel great. Also relieved the screen is better than I’d feared. Heard some ho-hum impressions of it, but it’s sharp and clear. It’s not OLED obviously, but a good solid LCD screen. The haptics in the touch pads are the most unusual feature - at first I thought they were actually loose because I was getting so much feedback!

There were a few little syncing quirks in the UI when I first started downloading games (resolved when the games actually loaded) but that’s the only issue so far. I tried one game - Citizen Sleeper - which wasn’t officially supported (still a question mark) and it worked flawlessly for my hour of play. Have a few more intensive games downloading now so keen to see how I get on with them, but first impressions are positive!

Got the email for my 256GB and completed the purchase. The queue has sped up by a couple weeks, probably because they have doubled up to two lots a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Got mine this morning , what a purchase absolutely love it. Have been downloading loads of games and was playing papers please. It's a tiny bit heavy is the only thing but legit feels like I have a piece of future in my hands.

Ideal for my emigration to Oz in around 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

Shipped this Monday and it's almost here. But will GLS deliver tomorrow or next Monday?

The tension 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I got mine the day after it arrived in Ireland, I'm in Dublin though so if you are down the country it may be different.

Time is tipping along now. Nearly at 6 o clock. I'm at almost half 7 so expecting a mail around the start of July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Insane that they've cleared so little of the queue, think everyone really underestimated the demand.

Been playing around with installing other stores aside from Steam today. The Epic Mega sale means that FFVII Remake is finally at a sensible enough price - €42 with the 25% voucher - that I bit. First added the Epic App to the system itself and added it to Steam which works fine but then realised I needn't have bothered with any of that and just installed the Heroic Launcher instead and that brings in both your Epic and GoG game library. Very handy, especially when Borderlands 3 is currently free on Epic.

FFVII Remake runs and looks great on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I reserved the 256GB on 16 Jul, 2021 @ 6:47pm IST so I was expecting to wait another while. Didn't take into account that the Reddit table is tracking GMT rather than summer time 😅 Got the email from Steam this evening looking for payment 😁

Oh that's great news. I'm 7.27 IST. So if it's actually at 6.56 IST. And if it jumps 6 mins a batch and they do two a week. I might be getting an email in 3 - 4 weeks.

I've been adding 100 a month to steam to pay it off rather than taking the one big hit. Also have the playdate and analogue pocket coming in the second half of the year to pay for.

Well it arrived, but it's basically dead out of the box - hoo-bloody-ray.

It won't initaiise and bombs the setup process in a boot-loop. It connects to the WiFi network/s but than an error message flashes way to fast to read then it shuts down Steam and re-boots.

I had to video the process and single frame step through the video to see what it said: "Unable to download the required update, please check your internet connection and try again." There are 'Try Again' and 'Help' buttons but there is no opportunity to use them because it shuts down immediately and reboots. It does connect to the WiFi network as my son was able to ping it.

The stupid thing doesn't even have a factory/hard reset function.

Way to go Valve. I'm on a real roll lately. An Amazon order failed to arrive and I have to wait a week or so for it to really fail to arrive before getting a refund, and now this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There is a factory reset function in the menus but alas sounds like you can't get far enough to do that.

There are recovery steps here if you have a USB-C adapter: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/1B71-EDF2-EB6D-2BB3

If all else fails, I do recall seeing reports that Valve has been prompt at sending out replacements for faulty units.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

I'd probably just go for a replacement. It's painful now but even if you get it going there could be more problems with it in the near future.

Thanks. No USB-C adapter. My son is currently trying a route to flash it from a micro-sd card, but it seems to dislike almost all the micro SD cards I have. Number 6 might work so I'm currently backing it up before erasing and trying it, but I'm not very hopeful. Failing this it's going back.

I probably have a different criteria for prompt. It's taken 11 days to arrive from when I paid, so x days to arrange a return, 11 days to return, x days to confirm receipt and another 11 days to ship a replacement so basically a process that will take a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Got pushed the two months from Q1 to Q2 (along with everybody that had an preorder reserved at the time). Which means, in theory, I should be receiving my order notification before the beginning of June. But, if Ireland is part of the UK queue, then going by the reservetime/timetable guides then I'm currently only 45% of the way through the queue. So, have Irish customers been receiving their order availability according to their steam estimate?

Not looking good. My son was able to demonstrate that the micro SD card is usable by downloading Arch Linux to it and booting the deck into Linux from the card, so the hardware seems fine, but installing the Steam Deck OS image to the card and trying to boot that has failed so far, with just a black screen, fan noise and no result.

No response from Steam support yet, either.

• Advertisement

Absolutely sickening. It's bad enough when this happens and you can walk back to the shop and swap it.

I think if you hold power a vol up you can get into a boot menu.

Advertisement