Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Nice one, just checked and I've been pushed from Q4 into Q3 for my 512gb deck. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Did anyone find a way to add two versions of the same App? Basically, I want one Chrome dedicated to Browsing and watching Netflix/Youtube/Disney. And then a second hard locked to open stadia in full screen.

I tried adding the app twice and changing the boot parameters and if I look at them they are different but when it launches it seems to pull in the most recent change.

Not a big issue but I just like having my non steam games with the correct artwork so it all looks nice.

I have one collection that has the "non steam game" app that let me play other games. They open up on the PS5, the Series X, Stadia and Emudeck.

Figured it out. This is the bit you need just change the url at the end to what ever service you want. Netflix, Youtube, Disney etc. You can add multiple shortcuts and have them all act as non steam games. You can add artwork too so it looks nice.

run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=/app/bin/chrome --file-forwarding com.google.Chrome @@u @@ --window-size=1024,640 --force-device-scale-factor=1.25 --device-scale-factor=1.25 --kiosk https://www.netflix.com/

so adding steps here for anyone else that needs it.

Go to Desktop mode

Add Google Chrome

Click Application launcher in the bottom left and go find chrome (don't open it). Right-click and click "Add to Steam"

Then open Steam (still in desktop mode) and find Chrome in the Nonsteam games and open the steam page for it.

Open Properties (little cog) and change the "launch options" to this

run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=/app/bin/chrome --file-forwarding com.google.Chrome @@u @@ --window-size=1024,640 --force-device-scale-factor=1.25 --device-scale-factor=1.25 --kiosk https://www.netflix.com/

Rename the shortcut to Netflix and close the properties (it just saves)

Now it will look horrible and blank so go to https://www.steamgriddb.com/ and grab some artwork.

You need 5 bits an Icon, horizontal box art, vertical box art, a logo, and a background.

Add the icon in the properties part.

Right-click the background above the green play button and you can set the background and logo.

Run it.

Then go to the steam library and you will see it in the recently played. Right-click here Select manage and add custom artwork. (Add the horizontal artwork.

Finally, run a different game and then go back to the library so your Netflix is the second most recent and it will have a smaller blank box. Right-click and manage and set custom artwork. Set this to vertical box art.

Repeat for whatever else you want.

Ends up a bit like this.

Pre-ordered back in November and got my invoice yesterday evening at 19:05...LOL nearly fell off my chair.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I pre-ordered the 512 in October, ordered it on Thursday, it shipped last night, I've a feeling I'll never use it.

You will, but not for Steam games, for emulation it's amazing

Once up and running it's an amazing piece of kit for those that don't have time to sit and play games at a dedicated PC/Console you'll find yourself stealing short sessions here and there but they add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Has anyone had any luck getting Gamepass running on it recently? Followed the steps but since Edge is out of Beta it doesn't seem to work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’m the opposite. Haven’t bothered with emulation or anything else yet, but loving the opportunity to dive into my Steam library. WFH and sitting at my PC during the workday has eaten into my PC gaming enthusiasm and time, so it’s great to have a device to pick up for some more casual play.

I think it has its clear limits in some ways, like many games just being fundamentally better on mouse & keyboard. But for anyone with a big Steam library and lots of games to dive into, that to me is the major draw of the device. The other stuff is nice extras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ordered mine on the 18th of August, according to the tracker it’s 38.8% done. Not too shabby

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Cancelled my reservation for the 512GB model a while back but I'm tempted by the 64GB and just upgrading the hdd. Any particular make of 2230 NVMe recommended? Or are folks using a microSD to expand the storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I got a 64 gig model and have been using a 512 SD card since day one, absolutely no issue with it whatsoever. Loading times are completely fine.

Had a look and Beta Edge is still in the discover store. Booted up cloud gaming just in case and it's working fine.

Did you have it working before and now it doesn't or did it update and stop working?

Steps here should still work as long as you grab edge beta from the Discover store.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/xbox-cloud-gaming-in-microsoft-edge-with-steam-deck-43dd011b-0ce8-4810-8302-965be6d53296

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

I got it going last night. Found a new and updated video on YouTube which sorted it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭tgdaly

512gb model just ordered. Pre ordered on Jan 2nd. Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 1 murphy654

Hi just thought I'd post as I had been checking when waiting for delivery. I ordered on Monday 22nd it shipped on the Thursday and I received it today the tracking updates are not much good didn't change till it was out for delivery. Also first impressions wow definitely worth the wait.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Arrived today, first off the speed of it is amazing, I've a Wifi6 network and gigabit broadband so I'm used to fast speeds but I was downloading CoD/Force Unleashed in no time at all. It's amazing to have the games running as fast on a handheld as it did on my old gaming PC (which is up in the attic), I still suck at the games. I must work out how to get some emulators working on it, especially MAME as I think my children will love that (when I say children I mean myself of course, my children are never getting this).

Don't let their grubby hands near it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Just a quick heads up, The Force Unleashed is officially unsupported and won't run by default, however a quick google will point you in the direction of a small exe file that you place in the game folder. When you do that it runs absolutely perfectly.

I've spent a bit of time with it and to be honest I'm very "meh" about it, I've a decent laptop that runs everything and I'm probably a bit old for it, if there's anyone on here that really wants 1 and I'd be happy to let you have it (original price), otherwise I'll probably put it up on adverts in a week or two

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Kinda the same. It's an amazing piece of tech for the money but it's not really my bag either, I'm mostly an online FPS player.

I think in a year or two it'll have come a long way in becoming more accessible and native compatible with launchers and what not.

Still might keep it though, the thought of how cool it'll be for flights over bringing my laptop or tablet.

It's a brilliant piece of kit, not too long ago a PC to run as well would have cost a few grand, i just know I won't use it but I'll give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Don't suppose anyone has found a decent place to get a powerbank that's compatible with the steam deck? Amazon won't ship powerbanks here and any Irish store seems to only sell stuff with 30w power delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Mine Just shipped today, I’m just wondering does anybody know are they delivered by An Post when they get to Ireland or is it a third party courier? I’m just worried I might miss it next week but I know my postman will hold it for me if nobody’s home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

GLS if I recall correctly. Not a fan of theirs, but to be fair, they came through on that occasion. Should be a shipping link on Valve's email that'll tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Yeah I’ve never heard of GLS before so I assumed that they handled the European/uk leg of the journey and then would hand it over to an post/dpd etc when it got here. That’s fair enough so, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Cheers mate, says 52.78%, how is accurate is it does anyone know?

Advertisement