Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

GLS delivered to me aswell, it was refreshing how small and compact the packaging was, if it was an Amazon package it'd have been about 5 times bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

The only thing I've found with GLS usually is that packages tend to get to Ireland quickly but then hit the wall. TBH, thats true of most carriers but GLS are funny in that if the update says out for delivery, I'd normally add a couple days before I expect it 😂 Still, its only coming from the Netherlands so should be less than a week.

But, like I said they did actually come through and delivered late one evening with the Steam Deck when i didnt expect it, so fairs fair. TBH, there was a fairly noisy portion of US based users complaining that they'd hope Valve would change the shipment box or carrier over there as there was a disproportionate amount of issues with FedEx.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

It's only as accurate as the data that it gets but in my experience it was very accurate. I got my email on Monday just as the tracker went to 100%. https://getmydeck.ingenhaag.dev/s/UK/64/1646251086

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You'll shift it in minutes.

I understand the feeling though, I was a bit on the fence for a few days. Really liked it and it was great to play PC games again. And I got lost in Satisfactory for hours. But didn't see it as a long term gaming platform.

it wasn't until I started opening it up to the other things it can do, that I really got to see its potential.

It sits on my desk as a 4th monitor. I put on a 3 hour long video podcast and work away. I've a small little keyboard and mouse that I can pull out and a dock that hooks it up to the monitor and it works great there too.

Went on holiday with the kids and packed it for Netflix and Disney+. Way handier than bringing the laptop.

I've hooked up the PS5, Xbox Series X, and Stadia so they can all play through the deck, and because they are dedicated console experiences they all play really well and look great on the Deck. the kids are small so it's not easy to get time to go into the games room and boot up the consoles, but I can pick up the deck and play, much like Switch when I first got it.

Now it's probably my most used platform.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've a few tablets that I use for all that as well as S22 Ultra, the Steam Deck is just another piece of kit at the moment, at this stage I'll give it a couple of weeks and see. I'll give it to someone here for fave value first before putting it on adverts, people are looking for stupid money for them over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Tt

Post edited by OhHiMark on

I tried it last night, its an amazing piece of kit in fairness but just not for me so I've it up on adverts now https://touch.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/steam-deck-512gb/27851056

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

Gonna miss out on my preorder, simply by being out of the country for a few days. Got the email on Friday, preorder will be cancelled on Sunday if I don’t pay before then.

Because I’m in the Nederlands though, Steam won’t let me ship it anywhere but here. Infuriating and draconian.

Miss it, I've heard cases of support being able to offer it again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

I’ve logged a ticket, but the guy replied I have to use a Dutch card and send to a Dutch address. I’ve asked to log a complaint, I’ll see how it goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 cohaolain

Saw your posts there, and just placed an offer! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

How annoying is it when some scobie offers you way less than asking then complains when you don't accept the stupid offer. Bloke is trying to get a 512 gig Steam Deck for less than the price of the 256 gig model.

Surprised they didn't try to swop for a washing machine or something 😂😂

It's sold now and hopefully the buyer will get some use out of it, unfortunately I don't think I'd ever use it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Anyone know roughly how long the wait is between paying the reservation fee and getting a conformation/paying the full amount ?

I paid the reservation fee last week and was hoping to have it before Christmas.

Orders are getting pulled in all the time as production ramps up so I'd say you have a good shot.

Jsaux have a new dock that supports a M.2 SSD launching in a day or two. Comes in at about $129. Handy if like me you have a spare 1TB that is left over after upping the PS5 to 2TB. But only useful if you use it pretty much always docked.

The SD cards swap so easily I just got a spare 500gb one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Doomofman

For anyone who's got one here, how long did it take to arrive from the point you paid for it?

20 days. Paid for it on a Thursday, got a notification the following Tuesday that it had been picked up by GLS, it sat in their depot in Amsterdam for over a week and then was delivered the week after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Thanks. That's grim. I hope yours was an outlier and it's a little bit quicker for me but at least I have some level of expectation now

It would seem that roughly 2 weeks is about the standard for most people here. Just don't bother your hole checking the tracking info, GLS's tracking updates are complete horseshit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

I was a bit quicker, only 8 days wait after I paid

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Tracker has slowed down over the last week, has only gone up 8%

Hoping itll be here before the end of October

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's such an endless stream of amazing possibilities. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SirloinSteak

Hello everyone.

I paid for my 256gb yesterday, looking forward to its arrival in the coming weeks :)

Sounds like you've been really enjoying yours Grumpypants, glad to read through with all your updates and delighted for you. A dock would be handy for it alright.

I imagine I'll even be reading excel spredsheets on it while lying in bed preparing for the work week ahead of time lol

I'm looking forward to doing a bit of gaming on it though, good few games I've been meaning to try out

It's just so versatile. Play handheld, play docked at a desk, play docked on a TV from the couch.

It's not always elegant but it's effective.

Sorry for a stupid question. Are we lumped in with the UK or EU when checking this? Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep, we’re in the UK batch. Possibly to do with the charger, but that’s only me speculating!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

For those that own a Switch and the Steam Deck, is the difference in screen sizes quite noticable? I put in another order for the deck and I'm hoping it's a fair bit bigger as I find the Switch screen too small, especially trying to read text in games. Reddit gives me this comparison which seems decent?

• Advertisement

It's not noticeably bigger unless you do a side by side, you won't really notice it, if anything because most games are made for PC their text size is smaller than when made for specifically for a small console, it may be a little bit harder.

But it does have more options to make text bigger to counter it.

Post edited by Grumpypants on

Advertisement