Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Ordered mine on June 20th, it's at about 96% as of last Thursday - it jumped 20% in the previous week. Be interesting to see what it says today, hopefully not far off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

You'll get the order notification this evening

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Does the getmydeck only update once a week do folks know? Will save me refreshing every day. 😀

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Order emails / notifications go out every Monday and Thursday so presumably it only updates in line with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

And should we just pay attention to the percentage or to the days also? It quotes an amount of days but says 'not in real time'

• Advertisement

Just the percentage, you should probably have your order email in the next 10 mins.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

You speaketh the truth! It just jumped from 82 to 90.67%! So possibly end of October or sooner, I'll take that. 😀

Gone up to 86% already. They seem to be flying through orders now. I wouldn't be surprised if there's no reserving after the next month or so and they'll be available to order without waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Email received about an hour ago

Never been a PC gamer so this seems like a great way to get into that ecosystem, so looking forward to playing around with it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Valve motoring through the orders now - and that’s direct from the source.

You might just be able to order a Steam Deck - no reservations needed - in mere weeks. What a time to be alive: computer or gaming hardware that’s actually just available!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I'd be very interested to see how many they end up selling this year. I know it's not going to rival the likes of microsoft or sony, but it's one of the best value, impressive pieces of equipment I've bought in a long time, and so far I've only been dipping into the steam library and epic, with a few PS2 emulations to try it out.

As I was travelling a bit in August I didn't really get much time on it, but when I got back I picked up Spiderman remastered and absolutely tore the arse out of that game in a way I haven't in a long time. It's just so convenient to pick it up off the table and resume a game for a free ten or fifteen minutes and then put it away again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

They might be in a position to make the second model (or maybe 1st revision) mainstream. The steam library (even when limited to the verified titles) and the cheap prices could really see it explode in popularity. I obviously don't see it coming anywhere near the switch but it could still shift millions of units.

On a practical note, Return to Monkey Island plays great on Deck despite no official verified status at launch. Defaults to low settings but can be ramped up to high with no impact on performance. Some minor streaming hitches occasionally but mostly a smooth 60FPS, and gotta say the 'controversial' art style looks great in motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Sometimes that labelling can be really weird. I was always meaning to play Castlevania Lords of Shadow cos I missed it back on the PS3/360. It was on sale for a fiver so I got it despite being labelled as unsupported. Figured I could get it working somehow. When I loaded it up it was running at native res, locked 60 fps and at max settings with perfect control mapping. I have had actual verified games that weren't set up as well.

I actually mostly ignore the labelling now and just do a quick scan of reddit and YT to see how a particular game runs.

Yeah, I would ignore the labeling completely, as valve updates proton more games become compatible its just they haven't got around to re-verifying games.

I never checked the verified status on any game but of the 18 games I tested only Flower had some graphical corruption.

In this case, it was a '?' status as opposed to an 'X' status, but I do think in general if a new game has controller support and is relatively well optimised it shouldn't be an issue.

The headache cases are probably older games with different tech, more limited controller support, or of course anything that's built entirely around keyboard & mouse support. But the sheer customisablity of the controls (on a per game and system level) remains one of the great features of the Steam Deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

I think I may have gotten prematurely excited.

Shipped on Friday 16th and GLS tracking is still showing as in transit to final parcel center today 20th

I thought over the weekend it might have made a bit of progress to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Rightplace2016

In the same boat literally.. got email and paid Monday 12th.. shipped Thursday 15th. Left GLS Holland Friday 16th and no update since.

You will both get a notification tonight or tomorrow night that it is being delivered the next day.

• Advertisement

Thanks! Just noticed its in Ireland as of five minutes ago! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I think waiting since the start of the year has finally gotten to me. My poor F5 key since Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

First thing to do is play the Apature desk job. It's free and just brings you through the controls in a fun way.

And if you are playing any game and find you are missing any key (like escape), press the steam button then right on the road twice and you can get controller options. You can then map any key from the keyboard, mouse, controller etc to and button / track pad.

Getting used to this changes a lot. Loads of games will now also have community made layouts too.

Cheers Grumpypants, appreciate the tips.

I've a decent stock of pc games but I'm nearly more excited about emulators and tinkering with the deck and having a bit of portable goodness. My poor oled switch is already feeling a bit jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Rightplace2016

Good call.. just delivered .. let the games begin

Just took delivery of mine too! Can't open it until later or I'll lose the day job!

Finally got Metroid Prime Trilogy up and running with Primehacks. Playing it with dual sticks feels so good, that's the next 60 or so hours of gaming sorted for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm just about finished with my set up - all my emulators are done - bought a 512gb card so transferring my 200gb was a pain but all done now.

I also picked up FF XV and Master Chief Collection - both play really well (though MCC is offline only for now so no MP) - Fantastic bit of kit - I loved my Switch, and while I will likely go back to it for Zelda, this can played every other Zelda game with no issues - halfway through Twilight Princess for the first time in years.

• Advertisement

Going to set mine up tonight 😁

Anyone feel there is an advantage to Lutris or Heroic launcher?

Im leaning towards Heroic but will take any pointers on whats best

thanks

Advertisement