Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Edit: Ok, I'm sheepishly eating a slice of humble pie. Looks like user error was part of the problem. It was set to auto resolution using an external display with frame rate capped at 60 fps, and for some weird reason, it's displaying 1080p capped at 50fps as a manual setting, far more smoothly than it was managing 720p served via the auto resolution.

I've yet to try a flat chat gallop through Rattay, but so far so good. On auto the frame rate was dropping to low 20s or below in that scenario.

Post edited by cnocbui on

Oh well. Frame rate still drops to low 20's in Rattay on horseback, but still an improvement on the previous setting outside of towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

64GB (and 256) models on the store last day or so for anyone on the hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Official 512gb refurbs in stock as of typing!

Nice chunk off at €539

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Do the controllers drift on SD ? Is it a problem ? Also, can they be easily replaced by the user ?

• Advertisement

No drift on mine. Swapping them could hardly be easier:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I would consider myself a a heavy user of it since I got it in April last year, and so far it has been perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Does anyone else have issue using Game Pass and wifi when docking the Deck? Using Game Pass seems to keep disconnecting the deck from WiFi for some reason. I don't think the dock is the issue as I can play games which require internet connection with no problems, and the problem isn't with Game Pass either as it works fine undocked. It seems to be a combination of the two together

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭krusty411

I was having that problem late last year, I think I went into developer mode section and turned off wifi power saving, hasn't fully fixed it but it's a lot better, I seen someone post on another forum that they went into their router and disabled 2.4ghz no issues since apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

On sale again. 10% off the cheapest, 15% off the mid range, and 20% off the top range.

€377, €466, & €543

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

Thinking of buying one with the sale, is the anti glare screen worth the extra money or is it fine to go for the mid priced model?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The anti glare screen has slightly less colour to it and isn't quite as sharp, but you likely wouldn't notice it unless you had the two side by side. Digital Foundry did a comparison of them on YouTube a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd go with the 256gb model and just buy a 1TB micro SD card with the money you save.

I stuck a antiglare screen cover on mine. Was about €20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Same and then used vividdeck through decky tools to increase the screen contrast

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I swapped a 1TB drive in for the 256GB aswell then got a caddy for the 256GB ssd on Aliexpress for a fiver, dont know what I did before it tbh, I get so much use out of that 256GB portable drive its crazy, people at work borrowing it from me all the time aswell.

People were asking about Starfield on the deck. It brings my considerably more capable series X to it's knees. low 20's fps in some situations - grrrr.

geforce now 4080 tier is beautiful on this for starfield :) i was getting a consistent 30fps with the correct (low) settings native mind

I've found if you can stream any game it's better to go that route. Not only do you offset the processing but you double battery life on the deck.

I used to just stream ESO directly to the deck as found the launcher a bit of a pain to get through.

Having said that, I still play 99% directly on the deck, I actually find turning the fps counter off and putting up with a stutter or 2 isn't the worst thing in the world. People need to get some perspective, it's a handheld device, not a 3090ti powerhouse gaming pc!

• Advertisement

I picked up one of these portable monitors for €95.

It's a nice little addition to the Deck. 1080p 60hrtz and uses USB C for power. Has USB C and HDMI (mini) inputs.

Pairs nicely with the Steam Deck. It comes in a little cover like an iPad has so can stand up easily.

At 13inch it is a tiny bit longer than the Deck. but will easily fit into the back pack for travelling.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CHF1DXX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thats really cool. Think Ill have to invest in one. First things first though I need to upgrade the hard drive. Struggling with the 64gb model despite having a 512gb sd card in it - the main drive is filling up with crap - think Ive only 7gb left on it.

I've seen little 10 inch ones on AliExpress for €50 that I was tempted by but felt this was the sweet spot between being big enough to be noticeably different but not too big that it's a pain to carry around.

The 64gb will fill fast with shader cache and compat data (this shows as other when you look at the storage ) I use this to clean it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭krusty411

I've seen people recommend this ssd on reddit, the reviews on aliexpress look good also, I've the 2tb one saved in my basket and a tool kit for opening the deck for €2.99 also, I'll get them after Christmas.

Do any of you have serious issues with WiFi when docked? In handheld mode my 5ghz connection is faultless but the second I dock it it drops and either won't connect or keeps dropping fully or partially.

I only get issues when I'm in the back room and try to use X cloud. Wi-fi drops from full signal to nothing. As soon as I close X cloud it goes back up to full !! But that is all in handheld.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah when I’m upstairs my signal is dire (router in the sitting room). But Switch has dire WiFi too, just seems to come with the territory. One reason why I’m not keen on game streaming on SD (although I’m fairly pro-local play in general).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

A TP Link mesh WiFi is about €45 on Amazon. I got two to extend WiFi from my hallway as signal upstairs at the back of the house was bad now I get 350Mb on a 500Mb connection. Just something to consider for those put off by streaming.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My PC is wired up via a TP Link home plug so it’s only really the Steam Deck and Switch that occasionally struggle, but I will upgrade to mesh one of these days :)

Advertisement