Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've logged about 50 hours streaming Plex while on night baby duty, about 30 hours logged on Chiaki for PS5 remote play. Not playing any PC/emulation at the moment as I'm not in the mood, still getting plenty of use!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Streaming is where it really shines. The battery life more than doubles and no worries about storage space.

Xbox cloud, playstation remote play, geforce now, utomik etc all do very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Had a few games not start through the junk shop epic downloader. Hopefully they will be updated.

Also gave the Nvidia app a run through and works great, obviously depends on your internet but worked pretty good for me last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah as a secondary add on for consoles to stream its just brilliant.

Set up junk shop myself today. Got caught a bit afterwards trying to launch epic store from steam. But once you go in via Decky loader > junk shop > games it works great.

• Advertisement

Chiaki4deck is working on an update that would remove the need for port forwarding for PS Remote play. Up to now you need a same network connection but this would open it up to connecting from other locations.

You can add Gog galaxy to your epic launcher as a "game" and it does install via junk shop that way. I was able to run it, install a game and then boot it.

But next time I tried to boot galaxy it tries to run the installer again not the exe. So that just says it's already installed and closes. Will try mess some more Tomorrow but it would be good if that worked too.

Also if you did pick it up when it was free and have been watching the TV show. Apparently Fallout New Vegas will work with proton GE 9-4 after running the registry fix option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Lads, anyone order a deck relatively recently? just trying to get an idea of delivery turnaround. My orders been shipped since monday, its only coming from the netherlands but there hasnt been a tracking update since.

I was hoping to have hands on before the weekend as I want it for an upcoming trip, it'll be a bit of a bummer if it doesnt appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I ordered mine just after christmas. Dispatched on December 29th, delivered on January 5th. The courier wasn't great though with updates, so hopefully it'll just arrive…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

Mine was ordered 14th February, delivered 19th February. It felt like ages tho :p

I think the major thing was there were no updates for the first few days.

I find with most post here that I don't get any updates until it's sitting in Dublin then it arrives the next day.

• Advertisement

Yeah generally there was an update saying it landed in Ireland. Even if that happens at 2am tonight they do seem to get delivered the next day. But if you wake up to no update I'd say it will be early next week.

In good news, mine arrived in Dublin at 8pm yesterday, fingers crossed it lands today.

Alright gents, deck arrived nice and early friday, and I've spent a good bit of time with it over the weekend.

I can finally see why certain PC players get so worked up about when it comes to having different launchers. On PC, for me, its a complete non issue, but it turns out, most of the games I'd been lining for use on the deck are from my epic games account. I was able to get them up and running by using the heroic launcher, but tbh, it was a bit of a faff, to the point that I actually ended up uninstalling everything and going at it again with a clean install. That seems to have sorted it for now.

Is it normal for games from the heroic launcher to take so long to load though? you could be looking at multiple minutes where it seems like the system is idle, the window says things like launching, installing redistributables, etc, but this happens every time a game is launched in this manner. Stuff thats installed directly through steam doesn't have this - its not that the games are demanding (into the breach is one example)

To be honest, if thats just the way of it, I'm not overly worried, the games I'm intending to play are all available for peanuts on steam anyway, but naturally, I'd prefer not to buy again if possible.

I tried heroic but got fed up with how wonky it was.

If you first get yourself Decky loader. It is a brilliant tool with loads of cool plug ins that are really easy to install and use. Some nice ones can change the layout of the deck itself or I like the one that easily adds art work for other non steam games.

https://decky.xyz/

But I digress, once you have Decky loader look to add junk store. That will handle the epic store better than any other way. Once installed the games just boot from the steam library.

They are working on adding GOG too. It's testing now for patrons and will get a general release soon.

Other good idea is to add Google chrome and then update the launcher to point at other sites. Then rename it as that site so it's like an app. I've Netflix, Disney, Xbox cloud etc all as non steam games in a collection in my steam library.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Can I join the party? 🥳

512 OLED delivered today (ordered Tuesday)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Well, this is cool... 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Thinking about buying a deck in the future.

We all know getting batteries shipped here, can be problematic. So apprehensive about buying one and needing a replacement battery in the future.

I see IFIXIT has an EU store with internal batteries, and i guess Aliexpress could be an option.

Any owners that have had experience in buying replacement batteries would be welcome. Cheers Deck owners :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I haven't had any experience yet thankfully, but I've heard a lot of good reports about iFixit

The issue with AliExpress is finding a seller you're confident won't scam you. There's plenty of good ones, but enough bad ones to make it some effort telling the difference

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Finally got the PS2 emulator memory card working, so can now save my progress.

Have SSX Tricky and Simpsons Hit & Run loaded and ready to go. Funnily enough I never completed Simpsons H&R. I definitely played it for a few days but can't remember why I never finished, maybe I only rented or borrowed it.

• Advertisement

I've played a bunch of Tony Hawks on the PS2 emulator, works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I was able to play a bit of both (plus a few quick matches of Tekken 5), and all worked/played fine, but it was when playing Simpsons H&R for the first time that I realised it wouldn't save. I had to format the card from the emulator menu, try figure out how to actually attribute it to a memory card slot, plus format it from the PS2 bios menu, and I think I even formatted it within SSX Tricky, and now it seems to work. The PS1 emulator save funtion worked right out of the box.

A bit of messing around, but you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Cheers for the reply. As long as there is one good source in iFixit, then that is good enough.

Agreed about Ali.

Steam sale is on at the moment. Few good games in there that are deck compatible too.

Xcom 2 €2.49

Disco Elysium €3.99

Portal 2 €0.97

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I picked up Balatro, not a huge sale or anything. Really looking forward to getting into it later today. Have only heard great things about it.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition for €6 is a great bargain.

Any suggestion for games that run well on deck that are pick up and play for 10 minute type games?

I've been playing a bunch of old Mario games which are perfect in that I can play for 5 or 10 minutes and get a chunk done. But I'd like a modern game or two too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

Dicey dungeons is good and runs a native linux version from my memory. (Also the maker is irish i think? If that's a plus or a negative).

It's a simple dice-based fight next enemy game.

I also like peglin, its like peggle, but when you hit a peg it does damage to an enemy.

Real simple.

Monster hunter rise runs great, that's the game I've spent most of my time on deck with. You can just jump on for a hunt or two at a time which is why I mention it. I regret buying the dlc(kinda) just because im 100% play online with other people with mh, and its an older game now so the dlc quests don't have a massive population. Can't wait for wilds.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Picked up Batman - Arkham Knight - verified. - 1.99

Both Ghost Recon Games- Breakpoint and Wildlands-Both playable -€4.99 and 5.99

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Dont know why it posted like that.

• Advertisement

You really like ghost recon 😜.

Wildlands was amazing. Breakpoint got a bit better with the updates but I wasn't mad about the tech setting.

Advertisement