Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

While both are certainly less enthusiastic a month later. I think they are now trying to align expectations rather than being disappointed.

Near the end of GN's review I think he had a line something like it's not an out of the box experience like the Switch, but that's why it's cool. 🤣

I also like some of the other videos out there messing with settings. I think 6 months in players hands we will see some great user software and settings to get the most out of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Had a read of the reviews from DF and the Verge and it’s too rough around the edges for me, too much messing with settings or games no longer working after an update. I don’t mind basic tweaking when sitting down to play something for the first time but not knowing if a game is actually going to work until you load it up, no thanks. Also, the fan noise mentioned would put me off, woeful battery life too. It’s clearly got bags of potential but I reckon I’ll hold off until v2 is released as I’m not sure things will have changed much by the time my Q2 pre-order comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I've put down a deposit for one now, i think if you don't have a really good gaming pc/laptop this offers far better value than getting one, the specs are very impressive for the price.

I think though saying its "unfinished" is fair, I reckon in 6 months time this will be an amazing product.

I'm in Q2 so most of the quirky bits will be ironed out by then hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Q1 but didn't get an email on Friday so hopefully will be in the next batch. Looking at reviews the only real disappointment for me so far is that it seems installing any linux app that isn't a flatpak seems to run the risk of getting overwritten by updates. I was hoping it would be easy enough to run the linux version of the itch.io app on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I've moved from being an "After Q2 2022" to "Q3 2022". (ordered on 23 July 2021). Suppose at least it is a tad more certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Got my email anyways, looking forward to tinkering with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Got my email yesterday, just paid there, very, very excited. Looks like a five to six day delivery turnaround from the Netherland so hopefully by Monday I'll have it.

Great dig into the experience/performance with games (rather the the console design) from Digital foundry. It looks like it performs amazing.

Just got shipping notification and it's coming from the Netherlands. GLS are delivering and they don't work weekends in Ireland so still looking like Monday.

• Advertisement

I assume you were Q1 batch and didn't get bumped? They have me a bit concerned with the you have three days to buy it after getting your email on a Friday. You could easily be away for the weekend and miss it.

To think you could wait for a year for your email and then they won't wait 3 days for the money.

Yeah I was originally December, got bumped to Q1 with the delay and then got my email on Monday. They've changed the day that they send the emails out from Friday to Monday so there's at least less chance of missing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

checked mine there said it was q2 all along now q3 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

still q2 myself hoping I get it before I emigrate the end of may, its not available in Oz so be nice for the plane journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hey Folks,

How do the slots work? I paid the deposit in Juy 2021 and am bumped down to Q3 2022.

It was based on when you got the order in. Any order outside of the first few mins was initially put in Q1 and when that filled then it got put into Q2 and finally a generic after Q2 bucket.

But there was a delay overall before Christmas so those that were due to get theirs in December got pushed out and are only getting it now. Those in Q1 got pushed to Q2 and Q2 to Q3.

If you are in Q3 it will be in the July - Sept window. But that could move up as production ramps. People might give up their slots now it is time to actually fork over hundreds of euro. I'd say there are a fair few that just pre-ordered but now can afford it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It all depends on when you ordered. If you were lucky enough to get through the tech issues and order immediately (as in within 15 mins of them being live) you’re probably due an email shortly.

I placed my deposit around ~25 mins after they went live (after a bunch of errors) and I’m currently Q2.

Hadn't realised just how good emulation in on the Steam Deck. Full speed PS3 emulation in a handheld is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My order was in minute 15 and I have been demoted to Q2.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Bought myself a sandisk 512gb microSD on amazon in antcipation for this, only have the 256gb model so that should be enough.

Starting to get excited about it now anyone here have their deck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

What are people's thoughts generally, after the reviews have come in? I don't think I'm put off. I have a quite sizeable collection of games and if even a quarter of that is playable it feels worth it. I also like the fact that I could hook it up to a monitor with a keyboard and mouse to play some games. Currently due to the way things are setup, if I want to play a PC game with a keyboard/mouse, I need to lug a desktop, monitor, keyboard/mouse into the kitchen after the missus and little one are in bed. So this would make life a little easier.

I'm really excited. I know people are concerned that not all their games will work. But if you consider it as a new console with 1000 games at launch it puts it into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

I've now gone to after q3 from q2. Think I'll be lucky to get it by the end of the year at this rate. At least most of the bugs will be sorted by the time it arrives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Are there many games that aren't working? And when you say "not working", as in the games crash or glitch out - or just a bit crappy to play on the device?

I think there are levels. Supported on Deck is they work great. Not verified is it might work with some messing in the settings. Then there will be ones that don't work. High-end PC stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm still not entirely sure where I sit on it, TBH. I'm glad I'm a little further down the queue (but not too far down the queue!) so I can hear a bit more real-world reaction before deciding whether to commit.

It's definitely become a tad less appealing after recently getting a new PC. It sounds like it's coming in hot as well software-wise - there seems to be plenty of teething issues, so will see to what degree they're sorted out. The whole reliance on Proton remains a bit of a question mark in terms of long-term stability and support. Part of me wonders if a hardware revision will be the true realisation of the machine's potential. It also really needs to support Windows dual-booting - rather than just one OS or the other - for multiple OS support to be a real perk of the machine rather than a curio for tinkerers.

But with a bit more travel on the cards this year, the Switch showing its age and a definite appeal to 'couch Steam' while WFH is still a thing, I can also certainly see myself using the thing. Thankfully I have at least a few weeks (if not a few months) to hear how things settle!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

How did you find sourcing/pricing parts for a new PC build @johnny_ultimate ?

Probably not a big deal for most, but I believe some MS games won't be on the Deck "due to anti-cheat." Halo and Gears were mentioned.

I've all but given up PC gaming. I can't sit at a desk working for ten hours a day. Then sit in the same room at the same desk gaming for any length of time.

So this offers me a chance to still play PC games but in bed 😝

Oh getting a parts is a nightmare, eventually settled on a pre-build with what I wanted as that was the easiest way to go without waiting weeks or months. Hopefully next time in four or five years I can go back to building my own!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, would be the way I'd go too if buying now. Having said that, I want to upgrade my monitor (higher res) so my GPU will start lacking oomph sooner or later.

Advertisement