Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension to IBT Certs

Options
  • 16-07-2021 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

The RSA have finally extended the expiry date of IBT certs. Below is the following info from RSA.

The extension is being made depending on when an IBT cert was issued, with three groupings as follows -

(a) an IBT certificate issued during the period beginning on 01 March 2018 and ending on 30 June 2018 is valid until 01 October 2021,

(b) an IBT certificate issued during the period beginning on 01 July 2018 and ending on 31 August 2018 is valid for a period of 3 years and 2 months from the date of issue, and

(c) an IBT certificate issued during the period beginning on 01 September 2018 and ending on 30 June 2019 is valid for a period of 3 years from the date of issue.

By way of example:

If a person received an IBT cert on 19 of March 2018 it would have expired on 19 March 2020 but will now be valid until 1 October 2021;

If a person received an IBT cert on 15 July 2018 it would have expired on 15 July 2020 but will now be valid until 15 September 2021;

If a person received an IBT cert on 10 February 2019, it would have expired on 10 February 2021 but will now be valid until 10 February 2022.

This is being done to allow a staggering of the validity periods so as not to cause a glut of demand for tests at a single point in time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Good for the few that haven't renewed because they're inept and slow on making changes.

Good for spins for the summer at least.

Either way the system is clogged up, someone with an expired IBT in Feb 2021 ext to Feb 2022 is unlikely to get a testing date.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭LUKEG2411

So to clarify my IBT cert that is expiring tomorrow, that was issued on 18 July 19 will still expire?! That doesn't seem to make sense as I'd have another year if I did the IBT 3 weeks earlier!

Is there going to be further extensions considering there is still a back log?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

helpfully info thanks. I however long for the day Ireland and its public service can simplify things. This, that, and the other thing, are now been extended from ''that day to this day and someday in between'. Why now just make it simple, if it's out of date now, can it not be extended till the end of this year, or next year!. somewhere along the line, this will cause some poor sod to blow a fuse.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

My learner permit expires next month.

My IBT expires in November.

I've been on a waiting list for a test since last summer.

I've already checked with the NLDS and I'm not going to get a license extension. I mean, not really fair considering that I wasn't eligible to sit a test until March 2020 (I think something happened around then) and I've been on a waiting list ever since I was able to get on one. But whatever, it's €35.

I am, however, REALLY worried about the IBT. I'm not going to lie, I'd rather sell my bike and give up the hobby than pay another €600 and more annual leave from work just to maintain it.

Is there some announcement or low hanging fruit that'll help me out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Can confirm, no extension to my learner permit or IBT.

RSA told me to lie and say I was an essential worker to get bumped up the list to get a date before my permit expires.

What a country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

I'm in a similar situation (permit expires in 2 weeks, IBT in September) & don't rely on the bike for work so don't feel comfortable pretending I do to get bumped up the list. Its frustrating that if my permit expired 3 weeks earlier I would get an extension to 31 May 2022 😕 I can't book a test, just join the waiting list which is not clear if that is enough to even renew my permit as the website still says evidence of a booked test or a failed test are needed to renew. NDLS said it would "probably be ok" but don't fancy taking time off work and travelling to an appointment to be told no.

If I was cynical I'd say this is another measure to discourage new motorcyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jimtutanota

Has there been any further developments with these extensions?

Seems a little crazy that if someone sat the IBT on 1st July 2019 they are being excluded from the extensions.

So, someone does their IBT on 1st July (just taking 1st July as an example - can be any time from 1st July '20 - 26th Feb '21), the cert expires on 30th June 2021.

Is there a clause that a person has to wait 6 months after the completion of the IBT before they can sit the test?

From March 2020 everything was locked down. The test centers were closed from March 2020 - Feb 2021 (unless a person is an essential worker)

Feb 2021 - June 2021 it's virtually impossible to get a test date.

1st July 2021 the IBT expires and rider is required to re-do the IBT at a cost of €400-€600 ?

How is that fair.

From completion of IBT on 1st July the rider has had no opportunity to sit the test for almost 12 of the 24 month cert validity period. Effectively these riders have paid full price for a 12 month cert whereas the other groupings were less affected and got 36 month certs!

There was a petition on Change.org for the earlier riders (I can't post a link but the petition is called Extend the IBT (Initial Basic Training) Cert for Motorcyclists 2021), maybe we should start one for the riders obtaining the IBT from 1st July 2019?

Also, people should email hildegarde.naughton@oir.ie and put pressure to create further extensions.

Advertisement