Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any wireless Telco engineers on here (Eir/Voda/3...) who know backend works?

• 16-07-2021 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

I (and many others) noticed something interesting with the recent spate of autodialled scam calls and I'm trying to understand how this variant of the hack works

The spoofed caller ID is being presented with the same first 6 digits of the "victim" number e.g. say my number = 087 123 4423.....well the skip dialler is presenting as 087 123 yyyy

BUT not only is it doing that, it is coming in regularly now (4 calls daily last 3 days) and in a downwards sequence e.g. 087 123 4891...087 123 4882...087 123 4876...087 123 4869...etc. so it's like it's poking for the last 4 digits of the number for some reason

(motivation presumably not just to get the hit on your number but more specifically that last 4 digit field - a very valuable field to know as it's used in all sorts of verification schemes nowadays)

now I know that one reason could be that you are apparently much more likely to answer if the incoming number is similar to your own, go figure lol

BUT apart from being alarming that they clearly know the first 6 digits it's the consistent pattern of these dial attempts that's got me interested

what I'm wondering is this: at platform level is there some systemic brute force way to get that hit on a subscriber/victim without their active participation (i.e. some people are savvy enough to know not to pick up that call when it comes in so lets bypass that altogether and get the platform to cough)?

does a mobile number cause or do anything weird, throw an indicative flag of any kind when it dials itself? so the hacker gets back a unique signal/indicator they've hit the jackpot? like I know if I simply call my own number it goes straight to vm. that's different to ringing out or if I'm on a call currently. so I could create a voice recog tool and....

but maybe there's something even more interesting? anyone?

Advertisement