Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling my 10 year old Gaming/Video editing PC - Fix it up, or sell as is?

Options
  • 16-07-2021 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to sell my PC I built a decade ago, it was very high end at the time and was used for video editing and games for several years, It's had the graphics card and ram upgraded, but I took out my SSDs and moved my windows license to my current machine.

I'm a but sentimental about it, and the environmentalist in me hates waste, this machine still worked fine when I stopped using it. I know I could probably sell the graphics cards. but part of my really wants to get the whole thing passed onto someone who will appreciate it. I'm thinking a family with young kids who can use it for school and low/medium intensity games. I figure that kind of market doesn't care about specs, they just want to know if it runs Fortnite and Minecraft.

I would like to get 350/400 for it, but my gut says I would need to fix it up a bit - get cheap SSD for operating system and find a windows licences key, maybe add some more RGB lights (PC case has a window, I've seen several ads where dads say kid is set having a light up PC)

So, if it was you, would you just sell this as is? No windows license key, or would it be worth my while to get this machine in a better state to appeal to families in the market for a low end gaming PC?

Specs

• Intel core i7-930 2.8Ghz Quad core
    • Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R ATX LGA1366
    • 24GB crucial DDR3
    • Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 960 Windforce
    • HDD - 1 GB Seagate

also behold my custom paint job - part of why I think only a child might want this?

Post edited by Noodleworm on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Not worth much. What's the card - GTX950 or GTX960 maybe? There is no GTX930.

Assuming it's either of those cards you will probably get €200-250 for it as is, but investing new parts won't increase the value so best off to just sell as it is with a fresh copy of Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

My bad:

its GIGABYTE GTX 960 WindForce 2X OC

Will fix that in the post too.

Just looking at CPU Benchmark the i7-970 is really starting to show its age. 2864 benchmark.

TBH I'd probably just sell the graphics card separately and stick it up as on office PC for 100.

Advertisement