Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High(ish) Spec PC for gaming & general use - Suggestions Welcome

Options
  • 16-07-2021 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I have most of the basic components selected as below for a reasonably powerful build for gaming and general use. (not super elite obviously but reasonably decent spec imo..)

All the parts below are either from Amazon UK or DE, and all prices shown are in euros and adjusted for Irish VAT rate.

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Motherboard €180.77 (Amazon Germany)

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU €414.80 (Amazon Germany)

Crucial Ballistic (8GB x 2) DDR 4 3600mhz memory €80.52 (Amazon Germany)

Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSD €174.68 (Amazon Germany)

Noctua NH-U12A CPU Cooler €110.29 (Amazon UK)

Corsair 4000D Airflow Case (Black) €85.80 (Amazon UK)

The total for above components works out at €1046.86 and about €10 delivery charge for the parts from Germany so €1057 in total.

As my current venerable 9 year old PC had its PSU die 2 weeks ago, I've since sourced a new PSU from Amazon UK (Corsair TX-750M semi modular gold for €92) to keep it running just a little longer until I have a new build, so no need to add power supply in above list.

Some feedback on above choices would be welcome, also I'm looking to upgrade from my current 23" to a new decent 27" monitor (again suitable for gaming & watching tv/films, general use etc). As its now 2021 and not 2012 when I bought the last one, do you need to trade off refresh rates for colour quality/brightness/image quality or can I have it all now?

As regards peripherals, the razor mouse I bought when building the old PC is still used, but I want to get a replacement, will probably choose another razor model unless someone has one they really recommend.

I bought a QPAD Mk-95 mechanical keyboard back in 2012, still in use (probably needs a decent cleaning though). Otherwise still working perfectly.

Speakers, using an old pair of dell from an old XPS PC bought all the way back in 2005, probably should spend a little at this stage on some new ones. old sub-woofer takes up space under my desk.

I'll need a new copy of Windows 10, current PC is still running Windows 7 (too many issues trying to upgrade for free a few years back). Windows 10 professional codes can be bought for €27 on Kinguin - I've had no problem with the game codes from Kinguin previously but not sure if Windows 10 for that price is too good to be true tbh.

Obviously the glaring omission from above is the GPU, and tbh anything less than an RTX 3070 seems too little for the overall PC spec I'm trying to build, but there's nothing I can do about that and it may be quite a while before supplies improve (either that or spend as much again as all the parts above on a scalped card).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

*BUMP*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/pXN3xc

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (€264.00)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 CPU Cooler (€58.91 @ Amazon Deutschland)

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB 48.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€79.91 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard (€154.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€76.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€207.95 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case (€85.89 @ Caseking)

Total: €928.46

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-21 03:30 CEST+0200

Ryzen 5-5600X is fine for gaming/general use. No need to spend 400+ when the 6-core is now available for 264.

X570 motherboard is unnecessary unless you know you needs its features - decent B550 saves 50+.

Samsung 980 Pro is a meme. For the same price, you can get 2Tb SSD with lower spec, but you'd never know it's slower.

Noctua NH-U12A is a bad buy unless your build is space-starved. Better to buy a cheaper tower cooler (i.e. any decent model with a 120/140mm fan) or an Arctic Liquid Freezer II-240, for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Ok, I get you point about not overspending on the CPU.

As for the motherboard, yeah X570 isn't strictly necessary (unless you want more than 1 M2 SSD, extra usb 3.2 gen 2 ports, multiple pcie 4.0 devices or using a Ryzen APU instead of CPU - unlikely). But tbh the price difference is far smaller between many of the same x570 vs B550 models than €50, more like €18 in the case of the MSI gaming edge board referred to above.

Once either model has a flash bios function(since it may need to update bios for ryzen 5000 chips) I'm not too concerned.

I agree re. the Samsung 980 SSD, probably only noticeable if you had to perform specific work tasks or heavy video editing, no real benefit for casual use/gaming.

Regarding the cooler, I initially was looking at the noctua D15 model but tbh I read that the heatsink is so large that it can often cause difficulty putting back on the case lid or fitting ram modules due to overhang.

The U12 model was supposed to be one of the next best to that model in noctua's range, but I see you recommended the single fan S model over dual fan A model?

Edit: I'm not going with liquid cooler so the Arctic option is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

All MSI X570/B550 boards have FlashBIOS so you’re good on that front. But the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge, in particular, is not a good board; the B550 model above has a much better VRM and also WiFi/Bluetooth (handier than you think).

B550 can handle 2x M.2; that’s not exclusive to X570. Some models by Gigabyte can handle 3 or 4 even - you’d need to take a look at the datasheet to check though.

The Noctua NH-U12A is just a NH-U12S with 2 overpriced 120mm fans; however it does not perform much better, especially on a lower-wattage 5600X.

Advertisement