Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bugs / missing functionality reports - no griping

Options

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Cool, glad to solve that mystery 🙂 If only they were all solved that quickly and easily!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

I unfollowed a bunch of forums last week, maybe a day or two after the notifications thing happened. Now they're back in my following section (on mobile). It was hard enough unfollowing them the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

• Registered Users Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

searching with 'newest' turns up no results .... when best match turns up many with same keyword

(I'd would prefer to use newest to search)

We have asked that search results be made more relevant rather than returning really old threads, newest first or best match would be an improvement. Will let you know when that has been implemented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

On the mobile site,when I click on my avatar, I get the option to 'mark all read'. I expected this would only mark all posts read on the particular forum I was visiting at that time.

Instead, I found I had marked every post read on every forum across the entire entire Boards site. Is there a way to just mark posts read within specific forums?

There's not at the moment @Comhrá but it's something we are working to add.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Is "View First Unread" no longer an option on threads which you have contributed to?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

On Desktop? I went looking for it today and it took me a while to find the correct link to click. Can't remember exactly what it looked like but while it wasn't super intuitive, it was definitely there. On mobile where it's the default behaviour now so can't check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Thanks - yeah, on desktop. Works well on mobile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It's the little carat icon to the left of the OP that appears to do what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Slideways

On the old site you could go to boards home page and straight to my threads, now it goes to trending or latest posts (they appear to be basically the same), even if you click the back button it still doesn’t revert to my threads.

is there a way of making the desktop version the default on mobile, it keeps reverting to the eye vomit that is the mobile version

Jesus, mobile is a mess...

Best of is completely blank until you scroll all the way down the page, it then tries to refresh the list of threads and it loads the threads that should already have been visible or else it places the ones that loaded on top of the first lot. When you scroll back up the page and click on a thread it loads some seemingly random thread. The coveney was hacked thread is what I clicked, page went to YLYL.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

You've finally said something that makes sense to a 'common' person like myself.

I get the exact same issue when I try to check the Best Of link. Total blank until I've scrolled half way down and then things start appearing so I've to go back to the top again to check if anything is of interest to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Search function not working. I know you indexed the site recently. It didn't work.

Bringing up old posts in first page of search

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

On mobile, you can't see who Thanked your post.

Also, why is the front page 'Latest Posts' page showing times that are an hour behind?!

It's 13:05 now, but the latest posts show 12:05.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Will 'Most thanked' ever work?

Some more issues I've seen with mobile.

• The new discussions button at the top of the page gets cut off half way to the u ("New Discu"..)
    • When you turn your phone sideways the burger menu disappears.
    • The animation for that burger menu when pressed is way too slow, it feels very clunky when it appears.
    • The page numbers with your phone sideways are extended, but when your phone is up right you get previous, last and next page navigation buttons. A few people have reported issues with this unintentionally going to the last page when trying to press the buttons. I can see why, the buttons are way too small, unless the intended audience have fingers the size of new-borns I highly doubt they will successfully navigate to the next page 100% of the time. Bigger buttons spaced out better and possibly a text input field to go to page n, is what is needed there.
    • Global messages at the top of the page, the one for moderators should only show for moderators. I think at this stage all moderators should have seen this message; perhaps it is because I'm signed out on mobile that I can't dismiss the messages but they take up valuable screen space, what is it you want new visitors to see a buggy mess or discussions?!
    • In the burger menu My Forums, My Discussion and My Comments are visible when signed out. Again this is needless space being taking up. New visitors see these menus and when clicked on take you to a message about signing up but again Global messages and the New Discussion button is visible on the page (twice). How can users not signed up to the site start a new discussion? The message about signing up takes up less space than all of these distractions.
    • That new discussion button when clicked on when signed out / new to the site, goes to the page to start a new discussion then gives an error after some time, It doesn't go to a page that tells you to sign in or register. It wouldn't be an issue if you were signed in already and definitely wouldn't be an issue if New Discussion was not visible if you are not signed in. It would be an issue if you are signed out but signed up as being able to start a new discussion is an indication that you are signed in. If you happen not to notice you're signed out and type a new discussion.... you can see where there would be frustration. It should be "idiot proof!"

Small detail for that new user message: there is either a space in " Howdy" or there's padding being applied, spacing should line up to the message. The message is lost on the page with everything else going on.

Pressing the New Discussion button brings you to this page when signed out. New discussion should not be visible if signed out. There is a few issues in this screenshot so I'll list them after the image:

1. Padding all around the reply box, too much (wasted space).
    2. Padding in title box, as above.
    3. Padding or spacing of category menu items way too great.
    4. Buttons at the bottom have odd spacing, they look weird to me anyway.
    5. And of course the page being visible to begin with when signed out. The Invalid CSRF Token is because it could not find and authorize the login cookie.

Post edited by iLikeWaffles on

Still issues with trying to identify and contact moderators

Right now there is no way at all to identify who is a moderator for a particular forum. None whatsoever. Even if a forums mod posts in a thread, the user title does not make it obvious that they are the mod for that forum (desktop)

Same with Cmod's

If a mod has their profile set to private, and notifications for mentions turned off, there is no way to get in contact with that mod....unless you create a post with their name in the title and hope they see it and hope they contact you.

Lastly, the fact that users can dismiss stickies is a problem. Stickies are important threads and are typically used for charters etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Re the stickies. Put all the ‘Charter-type’ stickies at the bottom of the first page as opposed the top. I’ve been around here for 10 years. I’ve never read any of them. But legally, you have to have them. So stick them at the bottom.

I just had a look. The war cost each American over $6,000. That's a monumental waste of money.

Good question. But also, I hate how the Thanks button looks and operates now. Not a patch on the old one.

*goes back to yelling at clouds*

I would like to know who thanked me. Mainly because if I answer a question I would want to know if the poster who asked it has seen my reply.

This bloody "draft saved" pop-up that appears while I'm writing something (even with no delay in my typing) is seriously annoying.

On desktop, it's a broken, visually unituitive button.

On mobile, you simply can't see.

Very broken feature. Impressive that it's broken in two different ways on the two platforms.

What's broken about it? Works fairly well. Granted it might save way too often but the popup is non intrusive and the button works on desktop. Going to need to provide more details about it as a bug and the browser you're using, I'm not seeing any bug here. Not too sure what is visually unintuitive about the button, it blends into the background so you don't notice it you don't notice the popup after a while either.

Often I have been typing a reply and something goes wrong and I lose that reply so it is a very welcomed added feature.

You're on about two different things, but I'll give my experience of them:

1) Thanks Button.

On desktop, it's bland and gives no visual weighting with regard to how many Thanks a post has received. I liked that about the old system; one could clearly see which posts had garnered a big response and it drew the eye if one wished to peruse in such a manner. Now, it all looks the same, but when does hover over the Thanks button, it opens this horrid menu upwards that only displays about 9 of the posters who Thanked the post (Thankers), rather than the old system which allowed one to easily see all the Thankers. Finally, when one DOES thank a post, it doesn't change colour to indicate that one has performed this action, and even worse, it displays 'Thanks!' on two lines, with the 's!' on the bottom line. On the old system, it very simply removed the Thanks button while displaying the user's name in the Thanks list.

On mobile, one cannot even SEE who Thanked a post, including their own posts. Highly frustrating, and actually takes away from the desire to use the function and conversion, as it's so blind.

2) Draft

I only speak from frustration on mobile, but at times where I've been on a slow connection, it just makes posting slow and cumbersome. Honestly, for all the times I've lost a post (not that many in the grand scheme of things), I'd prefer it removed and to lose the odd post rather than deal with its clunky nature for all posts.

Must of missed which post you replied to. Yeah I'd agree that thanks looks a bit messy and incomplete. I personally prefer the new system, but in saying that it should show all who thank when you open the menu. I wouldn't like to see the older version return as a default view though, some thanked posts with a certain amount of thanks were only been thanked for the sake of it being popular most of the time. The very fact that people relied on it being the way to browse threads speaks to that. If with the new or old system you're browsing based on thanks then you're missing a lot of content, instead of skimming replies your skimming how many thanks a reply has, both awful ways to view threads.

They can only fix bugs they know about, thanks being on 2 lines has been reported but it has also been fixed as far as I know, it is a minor issue that only requires a wider button for the style.

There's definitely a new bug with thanks also. Doesn't display the Thumbs Up icon. Maybe it was looked at to display when you thank a post which it does. But it doesn't stick when you revisited the page.

Post edited by iLikeWaffles on

• Advertisement

I can't quote the relevant bits of your post on the new setup but the poster was replying to a post of mine.

I was explaining that if somebody asked a question I would have no idea if they had actually read my reply as I have no way of seeing who thanked my post.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement