Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bugs / missing functionality reports - no griping

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

So with Adblock turned off they do show. It's the entire title, and the buttons to the right of it that aren't being rendered.

Checking the dev console shows that only a single item on the page is being blocked by Adblock, and it's the object being loaded from securepubads.doubleclick.net.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

"postcount" was renamed to "post-count" it looks like. I use your code, copied over to a custom script and have the boards one hidden. Renaming the style to post-count fixed the visibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is the new side bar labelled 'Categories' here to stay? It is making the space for posts narrower on desktop and therefore they take up much more space on the page and you have to scroll a lot more. Would it not have been better to have it as a drop down menu from 'Categories' on the bar at the top of the page?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Windows 10 Home, Firefox 93 on desktop, there's an issue with menus now on dropdowns, if there are multiple sub forums, it's not possible to scroll down the list of sub forums beyond the bottom of the screen to get to the forum that's wanted.

The intention was to get to the weather forum, but it's not showing on the screen, and won't scroll to it. Now managed to get a jpg, so hopefully, you can see the issue above,

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Advertisements appearing again for subscribers (well for me anyway!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Niamh commented elsewhere that the ads can be turned off on a user group level, but that it hasn't been done yet.

Just posted a message in the Bank of Ireland forum, and for reasons that remain unclear, there are 2 problems with that area.

The first is that it's impossible to go back into the message and edit it, and the second is that the latest upgrade of the software is mangling the formatting of the message, so if I put things like a paragraph break into the message, when it gets posted, all that formatting is being stripped out, which makes the message VERY hard to read, and impossibly long, as it ends up as one long paragraph.

Some of these issues are becoming VERY frustrating, and making it almost impossible to use the site in a meaningful way.

Edited to add that the same issue is NOT happening in this forum, the message I posted here can be changed, and updated, and didn't lose the formatting. Even more strange!

Second update, I've just put a second post into the new thread over on bank of Ireland, and I can edit post 2, and it didn't mangle the formatting, but I still can't go back in and correct the mess it made of post 1, there's no edit option available there to allow me to sort out the mess.

Are you using an ad blocker? Turn if off and then check the edit button.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Slideways

Tabs cut off on the home page, cant scroll up to see the title on them. On macbook and Chrome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Is there any update on this? It's really annoying and I can't see any way to hide/disable it.

Looks like that is a factor, I've not changed any settings, but I do have adblocker running on desktop, so will investigate further.

@Boards.ie: Niamh Regarding subscriptions, is there a page anywhere containing info? Can't find anything

• Registered Users Posts: 34,819 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The main benefit of the boards enhancement suite now is getting rid of the unbelieveable amount of wasted space on the page...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Unfortunately it was not that simple as I have flipped the switch for Admin and Mods but they are still seeing ads so more investigation needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

It's more than likely happening because you are using an adblocker. If you disable it for Boards, things should work as expected.

It's likely happening because boards is now using ads that compromise the style when removed by an ad-blocker. Users use ad-blockers, forcing them to turn them off because of compromised code is going to force them to turn off boards. It was never an issue so why is it suddenly an issue after a change to how the page is styled. The ad was most likely sitting on top of an invisible space or margin and can be removed by an ad-blocker so it only removes the ad. Now it is likely that the ad is the margin so when removed it pushes the page up to compensate for that missing space in that stack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Not sure if this is possible (I haven't found a way to do it) but previously on the list of discussions there was an icon beside each one which you could click and it would take you straight to the first new post since you last read it. Now you have to click on the last page number or one before it (estimating from how many new posts it says there have been). For example last night the last post in a topic I was reading was on page 209. Today I go in and there have been 2 new posts and we're up to page 210. I click on page 210 to find there's only 1 post there meaning I have to flip back to page 209 and scroll right through it. Of course had I clicked on page 209 at the start I could have scrolled right down to discover that there were no further new posts there and that both were on page 210.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

does clicking on a thread not bring you the first unread post? when you click on a link does it have #latest at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,332 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Clicking on the thread title (or the little down arrow on desktop) should lead you to the first unread post - but it's a bit of a lottery where you wind up in the thread. Plus, whatever post you happen to land on, you'll be missing the header and the first line or two.

But it's a known issue (I've certainly posted about it a number of times), and I believe is being worked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭mossie

In "Bookmarks" if I click on the thread title it takes me to the first unread post. In "My Forums" it takes me to the top of the page which contains the first unread post,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Slideways

I’ve certainly raised this before. In bookmarks on the mobile app, clicking the title sometimes brings me to first unread post and sometimes to the page that contains the first unread post. It’s a pain in the arse

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

clicking a specific notification-thread title doesn't lead you to the thread but to

"that.

The page you were looking for could not be found."

Post edited by pjcb on

Gaming (General) forum appears to be borked. Shows the subs but not the threads that should be there under them.

https://www.boards.ie/categories/gaming-general

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Is the Edit Post feature gone? Can't see it, maybe I'm missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Gearwheel icon (on Mobile) top right of post. If you don't see the icon,  the edit window is closed (24 hours only now, old was 2 days)

No Delete option, but you can edit content to "..." within 24 hours.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

On the full site was there were three dots at the top right of the post to edit, or am I imagining things?

Edit: dots are there now for this post but not for earlier posts of mine.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement