Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bugs / missing functionality reports - no griping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,819 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Traffic is way down in the last couple of weeks across all the forums and threads I follow. Must be all the mobile users jumping ship and who could blame them, by all accounts it's unusable. The clowns in charge are destroying this site.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I get the jumping on Windows desktop. I have to scroll back to get to the last unread post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Has anyone in boards HQ even bothered their hole to respond and acknowledge the jumping problem??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Re. the bouncing (I posted this on a separate thread), the trick for me is to go onto a different page and then back to the one I was reading. This “resets” the last read post issue. Better than the pain of bouncing back and back and back.. and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

They have actually been very quiet the past few weeks. I suppose it would be nice for a rep to come on and say yes, we have that issue and it is being worked on atm. Tbh I do not have the issue at all on my Android 11 phone and I also do not have the issue on my Windows 11 PC running chrome. Thought I'd mention the last part since someone above seems to have the issue on their PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Re bouncing. I followed previous suggestions about trying new browsers, and this worked for me. No more bouncing.

I am using Brave, which also doesn’t track personal data the way big browsers do, eliminates ads, and is faster loading because of all that extra detritus not hanging about.

I do use Chrome and Safari when I want to help certain websites get ad revenue, but if Boards keeps on bugging, this will remain my alternative.

I use Firefox on Android solely for this website. It's sort of an achievement for a site to be so glitchy or lacking in key features, users have to use a specific browser just for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

That's exactly it, using an ad blocker makes the site somewhat more usable.

It hides the hideous navigation on the right, stops the bouncing and removes the daily cookie reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Bouncing on the phone is really bad for me. Seems like that's a common problem, independent of the phone. Chrome is my phone browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

I just spotted an issue that you may not be aware of.

I quoted an edited post, and the original unedited quoted post was displayed within my post.

• Advertisement

Test 123456789

Okay, it happens the second or subsequent time the post is quoted.

The quoted post above should say ‘Test 123456789’ as that is what was in place at the time I quoted it for this post.

another pain the the whole is when you start to type a sentence and it doesn’t automatically put a capital letter for you. I mean ffs, Microsoft word ‘95 was doing that

I don't know any forum that does that and old boards didn't either.

old boards did a lot that this new crap boards doesn’t. as you can see my text are all lower case

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Just checking. All my sentences start with an uppercase letter. I have a lot of problems with the new Boards but that isn't one. Maybe it's a problem on your side?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Slideways

For some reason when you put in a full stop and go to the next sentence it doesn’t give you a capital letter once you put in a paragraph.

like so

It works for me on Android Chrome and Firefox. The keyboard recognises it's a new sentence and capitalises it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,332 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

But it never did? On desktop anyway. It does it on my phone (android).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,819 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That'd be an ecumenical matter a browser setting.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

@Boards.ie: Niamh An old bug has come back again, one I’d mentioned before but I thought had been fixed.

If I click into a thread with unread posts all threads in that forum are marked as read, if I enter a thread in Feedback for example all other as yet unread threads in Feedback are marked as read.

If I enter a thread in somewhere like Motors or Personal Issues, all threads in that forum AND any sub-forums below are marked as read.

For some reason, sometimes quoting stuff stops you from typing. That highlighted time in the screenshot is me trying to type, but it doesn't show and instead each letter instead highlights more of the quote.

It’s actually getting worse ffs. I can’t even type a full post without the screen jumping away. What a useless site this has become. It’d be interesting to see how many people are using boards today compared to last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Is there any update on the above actually. It’s gotten so bad now that I can’t read a post without it jumping up 6 posts above and I’ve to scroll down. This is incredibly frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

The super weird design decisions

1. Not being allowed view other users' posts. If you click on a user you get told you don't have permission to view their profile. Their posts are all still publicly accessible of course, but it now makes it too awkward to ever bother checking what they've posted.
    2. Thanks are invisible if you aren't logged in and even if you are logged in you can't see who thanked a post without going to additional trouble of hovering over the thanks and waiting for the information to load.
    3. You can't search a thread. You're in a thread and you click search you can only search the whole site. Incidentally that's why I'm in this thread posting this. I got so annoyed that I decided to post here before logging off.

Don't put up barriers to users if you actually want them to use the site

edit- 1. has apparently been fixed, at least when you're logged in. Why, what made you change your decision? Why was this made a feature in the first place? Why is it still the case that you can't see users' post history if you aren't logged in? Why is there no text preview of a user's post when browsing post history ? This is so weird

edit- 1. has apparently been fixed, at least when you're logged in. Why, what made you change your decision? Why was this made a feature in the first place? Why is it still the case that you can't see users' post history if you aren't logged in? Why is there no text preview of a user's post when browsing post history ? This is so weird

That's not fixed as it was not a bug. You have the option now to make your profile private from other users. You obviously clicked on a profile that was not set to private.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

All private profiles will soon be reverted to public, and the Private option will be removed.

Per

@Boards.ie: Niamh

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement