Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The AH Tokyo 2020 Olympics/Paralympics Thread in 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭shockframe

The cycling here is like something you would get on those Japanese Gameshows as shown by 'Tarrant on TV'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I find that kind of competitive surfing pretty boring, they get 20 seconds on a 2 metre high wave to pull two or three tricks and thats it. Its worlds apart from the big wave surfing competitions where the best in the business show up to competitions and the waves are up to 30 metres in height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What a crap cycling course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Right. Ditch the bikes n peg it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

What's the craic with that strange version of money for nothing every few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

no - not at transition

Yeah a beaut time for a break. Just like watching a movie on RTÉ, ad break mid-sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

They did the same at the first transition, it's like they have some guy in on work experience calling the shots and assuming sure who's watching anyway.

Carolyn 28th at transition, full 90 seconds behind place in front of her though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭crushproof

The surfing is a tough watch, 10 seconds of surfing and then a lot of nothing and inane chat between the commentators on BBC.

Only 35 out of the 54 starters on the run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

Very dull women's triathlon compared to the men's. Amazing how one competitor in such a field can just pull away so easily from everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Still 28th . Within 30 seconds of 2 ahead of her

Beijing- DNF

London - 45th

Rio - 8th

Tokyo- Gold??

Nice progression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭griffin100

Different type of race, but equally as entertaining I think. That sort of class is great to see.

That poor Argentinian looks like she’s pulled a stomach muscle / had a hernia.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

They passsed another one practically getting sick in the bushes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

21/22nd might be in reach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Duffy 🥇 👏🏻 Can we claim her? S’pose not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,403 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

There was an event held in Scandinavia(either Helsinki or Stockholm) during the Melbourne games of 1956 but I can’t remember why that happened.

23rd for Carolyn

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Duffy has an Irish head on her anyway.

Equestrian in Sweden due to quarantine requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

23rd is a very good effort especially in that heat. Fair play to her.

• Advertisement

Hayes pukes her way over the line then gets wheelchaired off.

I can't conceive of the physical and mental chops required to operate at this level, especially in those conditions. My hat is off to her, Limerick must be very proud.

Serious effort on the run, wonder how her split was for the 10km run versus field.

She’s also a multiple Xterra world champion. That’s off road triathlon - mountain biking and trail running. She’s a serious athlete.

Disgraceful to hear that type of language, RTE are getting an angry letter from me in the morning.

I love the novelty of listening to Timmy McCarthy every few years, I'd probably get sick of him pretty quickly if I had to listen to him on a weekly basis.

Not sure if the coach's instructions should be heard

• Advertisement

Timmy giving out like he's their coach.

Watching Fiji spank Team GB in the sevens is a nice way to round off the day.

Even the women basketball players exaggerate contact.

Was an entertaining game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Currently out there swimming for Hong Kong: Siobhán Haughey, the grand niece of Charles Haughey.

There's people who work for RTÉ that are kinda shyte but just seem to consistently fall upward: Doireann whatever her name is, Kathryn Thomas, Lottie Ryan, Ryan Tubridy.

The there's Jon Kenny who always does a decent job commentating on whatever is thrown in front of him, without ever sounding like he's talking crap or getting annoying - and can play metal on the radio too. A low key national treasure that man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Pity Haughey didn't swim for us. I can see the headlines. 'Haughey and McSharry do Ireland proud'. Would sound like an EEC conference in the 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I set the alarm for three to watch the rugby :(.

🙈🙉🙊

Bring back the painting competition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

First event to stay up late for, it would be a nice pool for a remote control boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Those mad fancy swimsuits from 1996 with sort of car tyre grooving carved in to them, are they now banned?

Well, it's good to have an Irish interest. Fair play to her.

If that Russian who was caught cheating wins, can Mona be like that American swimmer who was asking questions about Michelle Smith.

Dissapointing, but 8th best in the world isn't bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dasdog

That's a level headed twenty year old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

She can look back on these Olympics with genuine pride. A brilliant effort to get to a final.

Janet Evans.

I remember as a kid watching clips of her press interviews at the time and wondering what her problem was.

It's gas looking back how blatant it was. Trained by her husband, who'd been done for doping himself: becomes triple gold medallist. Not suspicious at all...

Fair play to Mona. She seems cool.

The mother is giving me Didi Hamann vibes but with a wesht accent.

Especially at the age of 27, which is ancient in swimming terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dasdog

The arrogance - impressed

Advertisement