Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashton Broc, Swords

Options
  • 17-07-2021 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey folks,

I'm in the market as first time buyer right now and some property has been catching my eye in Asthon Broc area in Swords. While looking around I'm finding it hard to find much recent input on the area so wanted to make a thread here. Could anyone living/renting in the neighborhood give their opinions on the area. How is it in general for amenities, community, anti social behavior etc.

The prices seem pretty cheap comparatively for Dublin market but I'm not spotting any glaring reasons for this yet. Also seen that the residents association seem pretty active in the area too so looks like a good catch but prices feel a bit too good to be true.

Swords seems a decent area to me with Pavilions nearby and easy enough to get into City when need be. Just wondering if this area is a riskier buy in general. If you're familiar enough with overall Swords area, I'd also be welcome to any recommendations on areas in Swords to keep an eye on for first time buyers in terms of affordability and quality of living.

Any input would be welcome,

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It depends where in the Estate it is, there is a lot of Anti Social behaviour down by the Apartments at the bottom of Thornleigh and the Astro pitch behind it. The bit in the yellow box is where I would avoid, as far as I am aware the rest is better.

I lived in Thornleigh for a number of years and it became particularly unpleasant with the apartments, the astroturf pitch and the reduction in rents due to the 2008/9 onwards recession when rental prices meant it was affordable under social welfare schemes.

I moved out 5-6 years ago so maybe someone with more recent info can help, but I still live in the area and talking to my son there he says it's still not the best with lots of teens hanging round and up to no good.

Now if you are young and have no kids, it probably wouldn't be that big a deal, if you have very young kids, or intend to start a family soon, I would avoid that whole neck of the woods like the plague with both eyes on the future.

Generally anything above the main road is great for families, anything below the main road, excluding Miller Glen which is well separated is not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Ooh1985

Anyone know whats included in the Ashton broc management fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Usually management fees cover basic external maintenance, upkeep, bins and buildings insurance. You would need to ask the EA to find out.

Its cheap because its a very long way from the town centre on a single road in and out. But you have schools beside you and if you drive it isn't so much of an issue. Buses go by from end of the road but they go right through Swords so rush hour looking at an extra 20m to get out of Swords. I can't speak about ASB - have a couple of old school friends who live there and work locally and they love it there. It seems nice enough.

Commentary RE Thornleigh - its an estate that was hit by defects and a collapsed management company about 6 or 7 years ago but some of the issues have been resolved or are on their way to resolution so expect it to improve.

I don't know your budget but for same price or a little more look at the southern side of Swords which is easier traffic wise (as you have less to get through). But schools wise, Ashton Broc seems very convenient.

Advertisement