Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day/Night meter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I feel the same way... have one, but don't see it of being any benefit to me at the moment. The problem is, the suppliers literally have the power to wait and beat us in to submission. We will be using smart meters, not to avail of cheap electricity, but to mitigate against the considerable price rises, taxes and levies that are coming down the tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

For those of you (if anyone!) using a day/night tariff without an EV, was it hard to make it worthwhile? Outside of delaying the start of washing machine and dish washer (when feasible) and using the immersion at night, is there anything else you did that made a difference?

Am in the process of getting solar installed so day usage will be somewhat covered by the panels and wondering if it would make financial sense to switch to a day/night tariff.

Thanks in advance

RN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No it would not make sense to switch to a day night tariff unless you have something like storage heating now virtually gone with the use of newer type electric heating and better insulation.

Slava Ukrainii

Thanks. No storage heating. Was wondering if the immersion and washing devices would be enough to make it worth while, but good to know not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

The whole idea of smart meters is to make you change your usage pattern.

We've recently selected the free weekend day. We've traditionally done a lot of the housework on Saturdays, now we make a point of it with washing machine on timer to start at 5am so that it can go into the dryer when we wake and second/third loads put on followed by an ironing session.

Dishwasher timed for 1am and then we ensure all the Saturday dishes are in and done Saturday evening too, so just one cycle during the week.

Hot water for Saturdays is immersion rater than using the oil (stays hot right through for Sunday use)

Weekday use is literally the lights and TV/PC and the usual basics such as fridge.

Bill issued 2 weeks ago was about 30% LOWER than same period last year even after the price increases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Mav11

FYI: I am on dual tariff, day/night meter. I was told about a month ago that there was a problem with the timer in the old meter and it would have to be replaced. ESB networks came out fairly rapid and replaced it with a new digital, non smart meter. Still on the old tariff, I'm happy with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,634 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I think that meter is probably on a separate circuit to power just the storage heaters and, yes, it would be a big job to reuse it. Just get them to stop the standing charge/remove the meter.

It is definitely possible to make use of it and get some value. The only way I could see us getting a dryer is of the free weekend day stays in place and do what you are doing and dry clothes easier from October to April when the weather is less reliable.

I'm not sure how much you are using but there is a fair usage policy in place and a maximum every month.

The free day works when you are home and can make use of it but harder if working weekends or bringing the kids to activities or both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭paulbok

I enquired about getting rid of the NR meter a few years ago and was told it would cost €200(I think) to have it removed. Switching to the so called smart meters will do that anyway, but until properly priced day/night plans are available, I'll hold off as long as I can on that.

I'd much rather get using the night rate as I use a few Kwh overnight and can push that up a little by scheduling appliances overnight. Also I have a PV install coming up so plan to charge the battery on that at night to use during the day. Could be around 10-12 units daily so at NR with a 8c saving on each, potential saving of around €25 a month there.

I've asked two different electricans about changing it, one said it's not a big job, the other said it is, but he says that about everything I've asked him to do before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zzap64

Here's my experience of switching to a day/night meter recently (about a month).

I'm with SSE Airtricity and had just switched back to them so on a 30% discount plan.

I rang up about getting a day / night meter and they started talking about maybe smart meters were getting installed in the area and I should check about getting one of them. I said I didn't want a smart meter as the night rate is much more expensive. He agreed and carried on about booking a new day / night meter for me. I would imagine they are told to try and get the customer onto a smart meter as a first option.

He said changing over was free but if I wanted to change back (at any stage) it would cost... maybe €150 (I can't remember the exact figure)

I think, I rang on a Wednesday. He suggested ringing ESB Networks on Friday to see if I could get a quicker appointment. I didn't get around to it, but out of nowehere, my meter was installed on the Monday or Tuesday!

For reference the current rates on the discount plan I am on, inc VAT:

24hr meter: 15.36c / kWh

Day / Night meter: 16.38 day / 8.12 night

Smart meter: 16.04 day / 12.17 night / 17.10 peak

So you can see why I didn't want a smart meter, a tiny saving on the day rate (not doubt cancelled out by the more expensive peak rate (5pm to 7pm IIRC) but a 50% increase on the night rate!

With charging my car every 2 or 3 days and having the immersion on every couple of days at night, I'm actually using more units at night than in the day! Although that will change as I use mainly electrical heating during the day when the weather gets colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rivermisty

I have a day/night meter and I schedule the major appliances to run over night. Next car will be an EV which should give us better value from the night meter.

I'm curious how people are putting on their immersion at night though. Do you have a timer on it? Mine is just an old fashioned up/down off/on switch. Also, I'm sure it used to be the case that using Gas central heating to heat the tank (with the rads off) was cheaper than electric immersion. Maybe that's with day time electricity rates though. Anyone know more on that? Thanks, r

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zzap64

Our immersion has a timer on it. Our oil heating was never connected properly to heat the water without the radiators, but rarely use the oil for anything anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I've day/night and 3.24kw solar.my last bill was 267/ 336 kW. Down from 966 same time last year with no solar

Thanks SW. I will have similar solar. Is that 267/336 day/night?

From other threads you are looking at getting an immersion diverter installed. They should have a timing ability built in. From the Eddi manual

Feature Set...

• Built-in programmable boost timers

I was going to add in a timer switch thinking it would take an age to get solar installed, but looks like I won't need it.

Hi yes. Day /night usage.

Considering expanding my solar but need an immersion wired up for an eddi. Not sure it's worth it currently. Heating is on for a few hours a day now and water is hot.

We don't use much hot water. We have an electric shower used on night rate in the mornings. Dishwasher, drier, washing machine all used at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

Getting an EV early next year and called current supplier regarding the day/night meter. They said it will be a smart meter, but i asked if it can read day/night and was told yes. From reading this thread, it seems contrary to what i was told.

Why are ppl saying the smart meters are useless for day/night tariffs until 2024?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭paulbok

The new smart meters can certainly do day/night, the issue everyone has is that the day/night rates that you have to switch to with them are extortionate.

From ~18c day, 9c night to 24c day, 12c night and an even higher peak rate between 5-7pm.

Yes there is a lower night rate around 2-4am, but unless you have EVs to charge regurally, the smart day/night plans don't suit too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Scag Mattress

2-4 is a joke anyway, could you even use 20KW in 2 hours (single phase).

Can someone confirm the free day is capped ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

I have a smart meter installed (New build, came with the house). I just moved to Electric Ireland and their day / night 26% discount rate - 18.94c / 9.35.

I have called 3 times now and not got a clear answer on the installation of a day / night meter. I am just off the phone and another lady told me that I am all setup and good to go and that I don't need a day / night meter installed, that the smart meter with work. Based on what I have read, I’m a bit sceptical that all will be fine when my first bill arrives in March 2022…

We've been really good now the last few weeks and moved most of our consumption into the night rate:

·      10kw PHEV timed to charge from 11pm onwards

·      Delay timers on dishwasher and washing machine set before going to bed

·      Timed the low energy desiccant dehumidifier in the shed to run between 11pm and 8am

15Kw used this morning between midnight and 7.30am. On the night rate, that should cost me a third of what I was paying last month but again, hopefully no issues with the day/night rate and the smart meter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Smart meter will do day night function. The ESB will not remove a smart meter. They are replacing all meters with smart meters by 2025.

Slava Ukrainii

Update on the day / night rate / smart meter debacle

I received my first bill from Electric Ireland and (shock horror) it was for for a single rate and not the day night rate that i signed up for. I have just received a call back from Electric Ireland and they have said that the day night rate is not available as I have a smart meter. I have asked for a day night meter to be installed (knowing it can't), and they are gone off to check

It seems like there is real confusion about switching to day night rates and smart meters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

You really would want to be using a lot of night time units to make a day/night tariff worthwhile. The standing charges are higher and the day unit rate is much higher also.

I was considering moving to a split tariff for the sake of heating water in the tank at night on the low rate, but the numbers didn't add up for it. There was no saving to be made.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

I've run the numbers, charging EV, running garage dehumidifier on full, dishwasher/washing machine, all running in the 11pm to 8am bracket accounts for nearly 50% of my usage. Definitely worth it

Would have saved me nearly 40 euro this month and thats including the the higher standing charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Is this a smart meter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,634 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

No. That's a day/night meter. Guard it with your life! 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,567 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

As above, day/night meter, exact same as mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭v10

Here's my recent experience. I signed up with Iberdrola last March (2021) on a 24hr rate. I had a standard meter at the time.

Also last March we got a new EV and a charger installed.

ESB changed my meter to a smart meter around May, I didn't give it much thought at the time as my plan was fixed for a year.

In June, I had solar installed.

So in February this year I started pricing around as my electricity plan was expiring. I assumed now that I have a smart meter I'd just be able to avail of a day/night rate, but no, instead I'm getting "smart" rates which were all a rip off. I called Iberdrola and asked if my meter could be changed to a day/night meter and was told no. So I called ESB networks and asked them if my meter could be changed and was told yes but the request had to come from my current supplier. So I called Iberdrola back and after being passed around to different people they eventually said they'd request it.

I waited 2 weeks and nothing, so called ESB networks again and asked them had they received a request. They confirmed they had and arranged a date to install the day/night meter for the following week. Installer came and had a lot to say on the matter, saying that I was dead right requesting a change as the smart meters are offering no benefit to the customers.

Anyway now I've switched to Electric Ireland (still processing) on a day/night rate that is much better than anything I was quoted when i had the smart meter.

We're adding a second EV soon and this was definitely the way to go, especially since the day rate is subsidised by our solar also.

So, log story short, yes you can still request a day/night meter !

• Advertisement

Update - Electric Ireland have confrimed that I am able to swap to a day/night meter and ESB should be out soon to swap. Will keep you posted

Advertisement