Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROLL IT BACK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Been a great 20 years here, went though a lot of life experiences on boards, I'll still visit but less and less, this forum format is frankly the worst i've seen anywhere anytime and i've been on boards since newsgroups were a thing.

Thanks to all the admins and mods for all the time and effort you put into making this place it became and once was.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Cant clip posts when replying.

Cant search for anything.

Cant find my posts.

Cant find others posts.

Very slow to load.

Date and time is wrong. Posts showing as being posted an hour back in time.

The weird way everything is in the centre.

Not sure whats the difference is between "latest posts" and "trending".

Just off the top of my head.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

That would be fairly similar to how I have always used boards. Also 'most thanked' brought me to many a thread or forum i might never have seen otherwise.

I also think the level of activity is so low at present that the same stuff stays for ages on the front page, whereas before it would be moving rapidly.

I'd say the activity has dropped largely because the forum is not very usable on mobiles. I used to browse the touch site a lot, even without posting or being logged in. Now, I really couldn't be bothered.

I find it extremely hard to find anything, other than tediously browsing by category and boards has SOOO many categories.

I'm sure Vanilla ticks more boxes on paper than vBulletin as it has a modern UI and makes use of modern web technologies, but technical superiority does not equate to a more usable experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

is it just my computer or does no one else see that the clock is out by one hour, all the time, you would think that would be a very easy fix!

Aghhh

• Advertisement

not here in the thread , but on the My threads page.

https://www.boards.ie/#tabs-mythreads

I don't get why we went with vanilla and Canada? What was wrong with Irish based servers and using a free software like mybb?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 deirdre11

Please, please, please bring back the old site. I can't find anything😡 I'm not the only one! I used to visit daily or more often this was my "guru" site now it gone and so I am I. I'M OUT

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

Site is crumbling. User levels are gone. Roll her back. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Asking for the site to roll back is futile, as that is never going to happen.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

This new look is garbage. No hover on laptop for topics, WAY too much white space between messages. I think this is the end for my participation on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

What we are witnessing here is the death kneel of the site. From the absolute ham-fisted new layout, to the fact that there are more bugs than in the amazon rain forest to the mishandling of users data and private messages, this is death by a 1000 cuts.

As I said previously, I'd really love to know who gave final sign off for this because invariably, when something like this happens, there is one person ultimately driving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Fly_away

I'd love to know what, if any, risk assessment was done.

If they were aware that this outcome existed as a 'reasonable worst case scenario', it was a crazy decision to take such a risk.

My guess is that very little work went into scenario planning..

It seems astonishing that there was no major pilot tests done beforehand for some of the user base to sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Fcukin screen would blind you and can’t find a fcukin thing unless it comes up on the front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

ANYTHING from the devs?

Fûcking shocking treatment, almost contempt for the users here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In wouldn't be so sure.

It's time to talk about organising a site-wide boycott, to start suspending posting activity on Forums for 24 hours at a time. If that fails, category Mods who feel the same as posters here, can start resigning. Beyond that, users can start deactivating accounts.

Who would support me in spreading the word across Forums (categories) to suggest a poster's strike from Midnight Monday to Midnight Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Not everybody is unhappy with the site though. For me, whatever way I use the site, almost nothing is different. It looks almost the same on both my PC and my phone, so there must be others like me out there who have barely noticed any changes, or just superficial ones.

I'm not diminishing that it has clearly messed up how some people enjoy boards but the reactions seem absolutely crazy to me. It looks and operates pretty much the same to me, so there must be a silent few (majority?) out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Deluded!

The lack of activity on here speaks volumes!

Its a complete shambles and unusable for the majority obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

they lost about a million page visits from Jan 2021 to June 2020.

Wait and see how much more its dropped when July is counted. I'm betting over half a million alone for July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

That's what I mean by a crazy over the top reaction. Calling someone deluded? Everything just seems way overblown. I was able to log in, quote you, reply to you, you were able to do the same to me. I don't see why everything is so Doomsday? Shambles? Unusable? Any chance we're going slightly over the top?

its like cooking the best dinner you could ever have, (personally a nice rib eye steak, green beans and a few crispy potato chips or wedges)

taking it all out of the oven, placing it on a tray and walking over to your favourite seat to watch your fav. TV programme or movie.

Just as you are about to sit down you drop everything all over the floor - luckily its a tiled floor that you cleaned earlier so you know it safe to eat the food once you pick it all up:

boards.ie are picking it up at the moment, the problem is lots of it went under the couch :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The main issues are that the navigation of the site and the search function are completely broken. You can't hover over the topics to quickly jump to a forum and instead have to click on topics which brings you to a massive long list of all the boards that are seemingly randomly ordered and not in even in alphabetical order. As for the search function! It's absolutely atrocious.

There are also numerous small issues like not being able to highlight/bold someone you quote, the bloody clock/time is all over the place with parts of the site showing the right time but other parts being an hour behind.

The most damning aspect is that certain forums, which used to be very busy, have seen huge drops in usage/posts. The Soccer forum (one of the busiest on boards prior to the change) is a relative graveyard at this stage because of how it is hosted on the new site.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

For the love of all things Boards related, ROLL IT BACK, please all ye Boards.ie Gods.

Sincerely, the newest "boards.ca-vanilla" designated spambot. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The day Ireland win a Gold medal at the Olympics and there's about 30 posts in the dedicated AH thread since 9am this morning. If that doesn't tell its own story then I don't know what will. People are voting with their feet (and keyboards). I can't be arsed posting much anymore on the desktop version and the mobile site is unusable as far as I'm concerned.

The site is dead at the moment and it's getting deader.

Who the hell was in charge of this complete clusterfcuk of a decision?

Roll it Back FFS!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Tis a bit like when they cut the PUP, and hardly anyone could go back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Is anyone from boards.ie even responding to all the criticism and suggestions? it seems bizarre that they are prepared to leave a once great forum die off which is what will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 83,033 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Saying what?

I would search for the responses, but that's impossible so....

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,274 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Deleted the last few posts. Let's keep criticism to the issues with the site/migration and leave people and their personal/proffesional lives out of it please.

Advertisement