Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Greatest - Most Overrated Song - Live Thread

• 18-07-2021 7:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to Boardsies Greatest - Most Overrated Song - Live Thread.

There are 170 songs in contention to be crowned the most overrated song.

We will kick off with a qualifying round.

Format will be announced before each round.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Early preview

Could any of these songs take home the title of Boardsies Greatest - most overrated song? Join us tomorrow as we kick off the tournament.

Ed Sheeran - Thinking Out Loud

Eagles - Hotel California

Alanis Morissette - Ironic

Avril Lavigne - Complicated

Cher - Believe

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

There are two types of song that I'll be voting against

1. The type where I think the song is brilliant, so no way is it overrated (eg, Hotel California above)

2. The type which is totally crap and everyone knows it's crap so nobody really rates it highly enough for it to be overrated (eg, Believe above).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just so I have the spirit of the game straight in my own mind, we should be voting for the song that makes us roll our eyes the most when it comes on, and we can't comprehend why people love it so much, rather than a song that we really like or think is absolute garbage, right?

So if it was for example Nickelback - How You Remind Me (a song I personally love and don't think is overrated in the slightest, but understandable why someone may have nommed it) VS Rebecca Black - Friday (a godawful song, but no one is claiming its good, so hardly overrated) VS Guns N' Roses - Paradise City (deep down I know its not a bad song, but I'm not a fan and if it came on at a wedding, while others flocked to the dancefloor screaming "CHOON", I who was already on the dancefloor from the previous track would sigh and take this opportunity to go for a wee/smoke/pint).

So in that scenario, if I had to rank those three in order of preference, it'd be...

1. Nickelback
    2. Guns N' Roses
    3. Rebecca Black

So taking into account everything I've said, Paradise City is the one I consider to be most overrated of the three, even though I like it more than Friday, so in that case I should be voting for Guns N' Roses - Paradise City right? From my understanding of the intention behind the tournament, this is the one I feel I should be going for

Or should I vote Rebecca Black - Friday because its the song I like least even though I wouldn't consider it "overrated", and you want to see the categorically worst song win the tournament?

Or should I be voting for the song I like most and go Nickelback - How You Remind Me because you actually want your favourite to win the tournament in a kind of "look at all the songs I've beaten" kind of way?

I'm sure I'm vastly overthinking things, but its the first tournament following the move to the new platform and I want to take it extra seriously... 😂

Eh, Believe is amazing and if anything its criminally underrated. One of the most iconic and greatest songs ever... 😋

• Advertisement

Well, so glad you've completely cleared that up for me... 😑

😂😂😂

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

In your scenario, you should vote GnR as you personally think it's overrated. At least that's how I understand it

Yeah that would be my vote in LeVars scenario. Basically vote for what you deem to be more overrated regardless if you like the song or not.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Out of that lot above I'd probably vote Ed Sheeran as whilst I don't mind it I do think the affection slavered all over his gingery body is way overblown.

Hotel California is a classic, not overrated

Love Complicated and I think people just dislike it rather than think it's overrated

Ironic could go either way, the lyrics of that song make no sense and are in no way ironic (chorus aside perhaps). Probably second out of the five listed.

Aside from LeVar no human alive likes the distorted warbling of Cher in that specific track so I wouldn't consider it overrated, more crap.

Bold of you to lump me in with puny and mortal humans...

Did you learn nothing from Buffy The Vampire Slayer? It is only we otherworldy demons who truly appreciate the greatness of Believe...

• Advertisement

Believe is a great choon. It won loads of praise and broke records in the US and the UK though I would as far as to say that 23 years on, it is underrated at this point. I really dont get all the negativity towards it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The abuse of auto-tuning is what makes it so offensive to peoples' ears. Personally I think the lyrics and music are crap too, but really it's the bloody auto-tuning that's the real problem.

Welcome to the Qualifying Round

First to 6 votes or 1 hour time limit

If there is a tie, 30 mins golden vote followed by my vote.

This tournament is slightly different than the others, we are looking for the most overrated song in each match, so it may not be the song you like or dislike the most, please consider this when voting.

Q1

Jimmy Hendrix - Along The Watchtower Vs Oasis - Champagne Supernova

Q2

Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now Vs Stone Roses - I Wanna Be Adored

Q3

Ed Sheeran - Castle on the hill Vs Drake - God's Plan

Q4

Rod Stewart - Do Ya Think Im Sexy Vs The Beatles - Twist and Shout

Jimmy Hendrix - Along The Watchtower Vs Oasis - Champagne Supernova

Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now Vs Stone Roses - I Wanna Be Adored

Ed Sheeran - Castle on the hill Vs Drake - God's Plan

Rod Stewart - Do Ya Think Im Sexy Vs The Beatles - Twist and Shout

Jimmy Hendrix - Along The Watchtower

Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now

Drake - God's Plan

The Beatles - Twist and Shout

Tougher than I thought already, a lot of perfectly good songs coming up against each other, feel a bit sh*t calling any of them overrated, except for Drake of course... Drake can get f**ked.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Jimmy Hendrix - Along The Watchtower

Stone Roses - I Wanna Be Adored

Ed Sheeran - Castle on the hill

The Beatles - Twist and Shout

Well I don't know if it is the platform, lack of interest, or people are busy, but we are not getting the usual numbers today. I will do another 4 and see how it goes.

Jimmy Hendrix - Along The Watchtower 2 Vs 0 Oasis - Champagne Supernova

Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now 1 Vs 1 Stone Roses - I Wanna Be Adored

Ed Sheeran - Castle on the hill 1 Vs 1 Drake - God's Plan

Rod Stewart - Do Ya Think Im Sexy 0 Vs 2 The Beatles - Twist and Shout

Q5

The Beatles - I Want to Hold Your Hand Vs Creedance Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen The Rain?

Q6

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart Vs Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me

Q7

Jamiroquai - Virtual Insanity Vs Billy Joel - Uptown Girl

Q8

Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire Vs The Weather Girls - It's Raining Men

The Beatles - I Want to Hold Your Hand Vs Creedance Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen The Rain?

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart Vs Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

If it helps, I'll vote -

Oasis. Always hated them; awful voice on Gallagher that sounds like a cat being tortured.

That Starship song is a good tune, and the Stone Roses one bored me in the clip I listened to, so Stone Roses for me.

Don't know either of the songs in tie 3, so I can't really judge which is the most overrated tbh. Bit of a Catch 22 I guess. Pass.

Rod and The Beatles are two good songs. I wouldn't call either overrated. Twist and Shout in particular is a cracker, but I can't bring myself to vote for Rod even by default. Pass.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Creedance Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen The Rain?

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

Jamiroquai - Virtual Insanity

The Weather Girls - It's Raining Men

• Advertisement

Creedance Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen The Rain? ; I wonder who nominated this one... 😋

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart ; neither of these deserve to be anywhere near this tournament

Billy Joel - Uptown Girl

Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Ah lads - there's some great songs in here! I can't bring myself to vote for a song that I think doesn't deserve to be nominated, so I'll go -

5 - Pass. I Wanna Hold Your Hand is brilliant in its simplicity, and I do like Creedence too.

6 - Simple Minds. Two good songs, but neither quite at the level where I can't understand what they're doing here. I'll pip Simple Minds here, but wouldn't expect it to go far.

7 - Jamiroquai. Just not really a fan, although I guess that's not what the question is.

8 - Kings of Leon. Similar to (6) here - two good tunes, though KoL do suffer a bit from overplay at times, so I'll give it to them on that count. Again, wouldn't expect them to be there at the business end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,811 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Oasis - Champagne Supernova

Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now

Drake - God's Plan

Rod Stewart - Do Ya Think Im Sexy

The Beatles - I Want to Hold Your Hand

Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me

Billy Joel - Uptown Girl

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭kg703

I'll save you all the trouble of this.

Its Mr Brightside and we all know it.

But for the sake of the game!

The Beatles - I Want to Hold Your Hand

Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me

Billy Joel - Uptown Girl

Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire (This is the only one I actually think is over rated on this list)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I think I will be voting a little less than usual, because I consider most of the songs (so far at least) great and having no place in an overrated comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Jimmie hendrix

ed sheeran

stone roses

rod stewart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Gosh I am confused Kolido.. my above vote should be the opposite of the above as they are the songs I think are the most underappreciated yet enjoyed by many of the two choices? And hence the others which many may like over rated that I didnt post? Very confused?

So we are voting on a negative theme named 'overated'?

Just trying to figure it out to do justice to those who spent their time compling entry lists

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Both are great

Jamiroquai - Virtual Insanity - both are overrated

Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire - I like it but it's way overrated and overplayed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Last match is two over-rated songs!

• Advertisement

Jimmy Hendrix - Along The Watchtower 2 Vs 0 Oasis - Champagne Supernova

Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now 1 Vs 2 Stone Roses - I Wanna Be Adored - Golden Vote cdeb

Ed Sheeran - Castle on the hill 1 Vs 2 Drake - God's Plan - My Vote

Rod Stewart - Do Ya Think Im Sexy 0 Vs 2 The Beatles - Twist and Shout

The Beatles - I Want to Hold Your Hand 2 Vs 3 Creedance Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen The Rain?

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart 2 Vs 3 Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me

Jamiroquai - Virtual Insanity 2 Vs 3 Billy Joel - Uptown Girl

Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire 5 Vs 1 The Weather Girls - It's Raining Men

Advertisement